You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by JasonL » 05 Jul 2019, 15:57

Ellie wrote:Suicide is rare among African-American women; they comprise less than 1% of all suicides.
I think rates of suicide across groups is super interesting. The data is not captured by simple narratives. Some part cultural some part religious some part observable degree of suffering.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Jul 2019, 16:10

JasonL wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 15:57
Ellie wrote:Suicide is rare among African-American women; they comprise less than 1% of all suicides.
I think rates of suicide across groups is super interesting. The data is not captured by simple narratives. Some part cultural some part religious some part observable degree of suffering.
I think lifestyle and expectations are a significant factor in rates of suicide. In the words of the minstrel, When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jul 2019, 17:07

They don't need to kill themselves; that's what racist cops are for.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jul 2019, 20:15

Jennifer wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 17:07
They don't need to kill themselves; that's what racist cops are for.
At least we can all find some comfort in the fact that white cops kill themselves at a much higher rate than black women.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Jul 2019, 20:26

Warren wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 16:10
I think lifestyle and expectations are a significant factor in rates of suicide. In the words of the minstrel, When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose.
I don't know about expectations, but when it comes to lifestyle, you'd think middle-aged white men would have the fewest reasons to kill themselves, and yet they're the highest rate of suicides.

The low rate of suicide for black women is particularly interesting to me when you consider that they also statistically seek professional help for mental illness and eating disorders at a lower rate than white women.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Jul 2019, 20:37

Ellie wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 20:26
Warren wrote:
I don't know about expectations, but when it comes to lifestyle, you'd think middle-aged white men would have the fewest reasons to kill themselves, and yet they're the highest rate of suicides.
They kill themselves when they can no longer maintain the lifestyle they've become accustomed to.
The low rate of suicide for black women is particularly interesting to me when you consider that they also statistically seek professional help for mental illness and eating disorders at a lower rate than white women.
Which is to be expected.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2019, 20:49

Warren wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 20:37
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
They kill themselves when they can no longer maintain the lifestyle they've become accustomed to.
I suspect it has more to do with self-image than lifestyle (which I concede is part of self-image.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jul 2019, 21:05

I'm not a black woman, but I suspect the suicide rate is low among most cultures / demographics that don't condone suicide as something honorable to do under some circumstances and, equally importantly, where people aren't born with the expectation that life isn't going to suck when it turns out, in fact, to suck.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Jul 2019, 21:31

Aresen wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 20:49
Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
I suspect it has more to do with self-image than lifestyle (which I concede is part of self-image.)
Right. 'Society' expects white men to achieve and maintain a certain level of material prosperity/stability and procreativity. When you fail to meet that expectation consistently into middle age, there's a pretty good case to be made for the void.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Jul 2019, 21:53

Warren wrote:
Which is to be expected.
Can you expand on that? I'd expect that if people seek treatment for mental illness at a lower rate, then their suicide rate would be higher, and vice versa. But I'm the first to admit I'm no expert on this.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2019, 09:41

Ellie wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 21:53
Warren wrote:
Which is to be expected.
Can you expand on that? I'd expect that if people seek treatment for mental illness at a lower rate, then their suicide rate would be higher, and vice versa. But I'm the first to admit I'm no expert on this.
I'm saying, if they don't suffer from mental illness, then they don't need therapy, they don't kill themselves, and they don't get eating disorders. I'm assuming that black women are still over represented in the lower social-economic class. And I'm speculating that dealing with the day to day struggles prevents those kinds of problems. Like you don't worry about losing your job and house if you don't have a house or a job.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Jul 2019, 10:38

Ah! I see how what I wrote was confusing. I'm sorry! What I meant was that I have always heard for an equal number of white women and black women who have a mental illness or an eating disorder, fewer black women will seek professional treatment for it than white women.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2019, 11:02

Ellie wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 10:38
Ah! I see how what I wrote was confusing. I'm sorry! What I meant was that I have always heard for an equal number of white women and black women who have a mental illness or an eating disorder, fewer black women will seek professional treatment for it than white women.
But what if there are lower rates among black women. Those that suffer from it are less likely to seek help, but there are fewer. There may even be fewer untreated black women with mental illness than untreated white women.
I don't know that that is true though. I'm just speculating. Even if it is true, why white women should be so fragile and prone to mental illness is a can of worms I'm not prepared to open beyond suggesting that perhaps it's a downside of wealth.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Jul 2019, 11:33

I think you're all a bunch of crazies. Everyone but me.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2019, 12:01

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 11:33
I've been authorized to inform you, that you are not paranoid.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Jul 2019, 15:52

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jeez, there's always someone who doesn't want to join in.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Jul 2019, 16:16

Aresen wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 15:52
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jeez, there's always someone who doesn't want to join in.
Above the noise!

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Jul 2019, 23:29

frankly it also matters that older white men have the most guns of any other demographic slice.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jul 2019, 12:18

"Barefoot Contessa" Ina Garten was a budget analyst for the White House Office of Management and Budget, and wrote the nuclear energy budget and policy papers on nuclear centrifuge plants for Presidents Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 14 Jul 2019, 10:53

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Ha, ha, everyone point and laugh at the normal guy here.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Jul 2019, 17:25

Tuco wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 10:53
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jokes on you. They've been doing that for years.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jul 2019, 17:46

Pham Nuwen wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:25
Tuco wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
And it just keeps getting funnier.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Jul 2019, 18:02

Warren wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:46
Pham Nuwen wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:25
Tuco wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
And it just keeps getting funnier.
I'm entertainer, Warren. I give the people the show they deserve.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jul 2019, 19:02

There is a Summer Version of Seasonal Affective Disorder.
While seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is common during the short, cold days of winter, perhaps one in ten SAD sufferers experiences his or her depression during the summer months.

“Both summer SAD and winter SAD people can experience the full range of symptoms of major depressive disorder—depressed mood, hopelessness and feelings of worthlessness and nihilism,” says Ian Cook, a professor of psychiatry and bioengineering and director of the UCLA Depression Research & Clinic Program.

Other symptoms are opposites, like the seasons themselves. Winter sufferers often feel sluggish, sleep more than usual and tend to overeat and gain weight. By contrast, summertime depression often brings insomnia, loss of appetite, weight loss and feelings of agitation or anxiety. Summertime SAD can also create an increased feeling of isolation. If misery loves company, SAD sufferers can find plenty of other people to commiserate with during the dreary winter months. But during summer, most everyone else seems to be having a great time.

JD

Post by JD » 17 Jul 2019, 16:31

After the debacle of Microsoft Tay (the chatbot that went from anodyne platitudes to full-on Nazi within 24 hours of being unleashed on the net), MS came back with their second try, Zo. If you've never heard of Zo, it's probably because they'd neutered her in a spectacularly unsubtle fashion, by making her refuse to discuss absolutely anything relating to Islam, Judaism, or the Middle East, among other topics. If you said, "I get bullied sometimes", Zo would be sympathetic and inquisitive, but if you said "I get bullied sometimes for being Muslim" she might say "For the last time, pls stop talking politics..its getting super old". Zo was shut down in April 2019 after running for about two and a half years.

https://qz.com/1340990/microsofts-polit ... acist-one/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston