You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22762
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2018, 20:18

Did we lose something of ourselves that day Eric? When the majestic wild pecans of our youth were no longer part of our landscape ...

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2634
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Jake » 21 Aug 2018, 20:49

Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:26
Would someone enrage Warren? I'm missing it.
Well, I did my best. But it just upset you and Aresen. ;)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22873
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Jennifer » 21 Aug 2018, 21:13

Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 20:07
Aresen wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:40
Jake wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:28
That pecan joke is funny because JasonL is comparing pecans -- a not-particularly-active sort of thing -- with horses, which are very different. This juxtaposition of horse-based imagery with a small and unassuming nut makes the humor work.
Jake. I love you. But you just lost my vote for Mayor of Cottage Grove for explaining - indeed, over-explaining - a joke.
And managing to be incomplete at the same time; I still don't know where horses come in.
He's deliberately conflating "domestication of a plant" with "domestication of an animal" and also pretending that "the domestication of horses" dates back to "first time a horse agreed to wear a saddle," thus reaching the deliberately ridiculous conclusion that "domesticating pecans" in the 1840s involved convincing them to wear saddles, and musing about the first-ever pecan to wear one.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12532
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Aug 2018, 21:30

Jennifer wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 21:13
Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 20:07
Aresen wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:40
Jake wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:28
That pecan joke is funny because JasonL is comparing pecans -- a not-particularly-active sort of thing -- with horses, which are very different. This juxtaposition of horse-based imagery with a small and unassuming nut makes the humor work.
Jake. I love you. But you just lost my vote for Mayor of Cottage Grove for explaining - indeed, over-explaining - a joke.
And managing to be incomplete at the same time; I still don't know where horses come in.
He's deliberately conflating "domestication of a plant" with "domestication of an animal" and also pretending that "the domestication of horses" dates back to "first time a horse agreed to wear a saddle," thus reaching the deliberately ridiculous conclusion that "domesticating pecans" in the 1840s involved convincing them to wear saddles, and musing about the first-ever pecan to wear one.
Ah, OK. Sorry, it didn't work for me, for whatever reason. (Weirdly, I think I might have gotten something about pecans lurking at the edge of campfires and eating scraps.)
JasonL wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 20:18
Did we lose something of ourselves that day Eric? When the majestic wild pecans of our youth were no longer part of our landscape ...
This did make me grin, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6264
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Dangerman » 22 Aug 2018, 13:34

There is far too much reasonable agreement in this thread.

so

Pee can or pe-cahn?

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2634
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Jake » 22 Aug 2018, 13:46

Dangerman wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:34
There is far too much reasonable agreement in this thread.

so

Pee can or pe-cahn?
Peckin'. ;)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11596
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Ellie » 22 Aug 2018, 13:50

Dammit, now I'm craving a pecan pie. Stupid pregnancy!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22762
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by JasonL » 22 Aug 2018, 14:05

But also guys ... pecan saddles would be really tiny

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12532
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Aug 2018, 18:46

JasonL wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 14:05
But also guys ... pecan saddles would be really tiny
...?

Oh, right, you don't have Texas pecans.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13522
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Kolohe » 22 Aug 2018, 19:46

JasonL wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 14:05
But also guys ... pecan saddles would be really tiny
Buckaroo Bonsai.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2634
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Jake » 22 Aug 2018, 23:55

Kolohe wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 19:46
JasonL wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 14:05
But also guys ... pecan saddles would be really tiny
Buckaroo Bonsai.
Image
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2018, 00:48

Jake wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 23:55
Kolohe wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 19:46
JasonL wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 14:05
But also guys ... pecan saddles would be really tiny
Buckaroo Bonsai.
Image
I don't know what giphy.webp is suppose to be but it doesn't mean anything to my puter.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2917
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Jasper » 23 Aug 2018, 12:06

Dangerman wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:34
There is far too much reasonable agreement in this thread.

so

Pee can or pe-cahn?
Bravo to you, sir.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16168
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Aug 2018, 14:01

Jake wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:46
Dangerman wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:34
There is far too much reasonable agreement in this thread.

so

Pee can or pe-cahn?
Peckin'. ;)
Peking.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2018, 14:06

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 14:01
Jake wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:46
Dangerman wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:34
There is far too much reasonable agreement in this thread.

so

Pee can or pe-cahn?
Peckin'. ;)
Peking.
Pee-kan singular
Pe-kahns plural
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2634
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Jake » 23 Aug 2018, 18:11

Warren wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 00:48
I don't know what giphy.webp is suppose to be but it doesn't mean anything to my puter.
It was an animated GIF of some dude clapping. That'll teach me to try to use the Intarwebz like the young people these days.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12532
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Aug 2018, 19:09

The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14718
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Aresen » 23 Aug 2018, 19:28

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:09
The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
I'm not impressed. The 49th parallel was surveyed at roughly the same time with a maximum deviation of 800 feet over a 2000 mile long stretch of complete wilderness, including mountain ranges.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22873
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Jennifer » 23 Aug 2018, 19:34

Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:09
The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
I'm not impressed. The 49th parallel was surveyed at roughly the same time with a maximum deviation of 800 feet over a 2000 mile long stretch of complete wilderness, including mountain ranges.
Which reminds me of another trivia fact: you know how "rocket scientist" is used as the stereotypical/default "smart person" profession -- "Ooh, what a smart little child! Perhaps you'll grow up to be a rocket scientist!" ..."C'mon, people, this isn't rocket science here...." back in the day, "surveyor" was the smart-person stereotype job.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2018, 19:41

Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:09
The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
I'm not impressed. The 49th parallel was surveyed at roughly the same time with a maximum deviation of 800 feet over a 2000 mile long stretch of complete wilderness, including mountain ranges.
Not impressed :x Fifty-Four Forty or Fight!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14718
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Aresen » 23 Aug 2018, 19:55

Warren wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:41
Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:09
The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
I'm not impressed. The 49th parallel was surveyed at roughly the same time with a maximum deviation of 800 feet over a 2000 mile long stretch of complete wilderness, including mountain ranges.
Not impressed :x Fifty-Four Forty or Fight!
42
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14718
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Aresen » 23 Aug 2018, 20:09

Jennifer wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:34
Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:09
The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
I'm not impressed. The 49th parallel was surveyed at roughly the same time with a maximum deviation of 800 feet over a 2000 mile long stretch of complete wilderness, including mountain ranges.
Which reminds me of another trivia fact: you know how "rocket scientist" is used as the stereotypical/default "smart person" profession -- "Ooh, what a smart little child! Perhaps you'll grow up to be a rocket scientist!" ..."C'mon, people, this isn't rocket science here...." back in the day, "surveyor" was the smart-person stereotype job.
Since it required literacy and a knowledge of trigonometry, I would presume so, given the educational standards of the time.

My great-great-grandfather was a surveyor in Western Canada. After being taken prisoner by (and escaping from) Louis Riel, he started a family in Calgary. Then, without benefit of divorce, he started another family near Vancouver. I am proud of great-great-grandfather Robert.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24839
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2018, 20:18

Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:55
Warren wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:41
Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:09
The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
I'm not impressed. The 49th parallel was surveyed at roughly the same time with a maximum deviation of 800 feet over a 2000 mile long stretch of complete wilderness, including mountain ranges.
Not impressed :x Fifty-Four Forty or Fight!
42
What do you get if you multiply six by nine?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12532
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Aug 2018, 16:35

Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:09
The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
I'm not impressed. The 49th parallel was surveyed at roughly the same time with a maximum deviation of 800 feet over a 2000 mile long stretch of complete wilderness, including mountain ranges.
Four Corners was dead on its intended latitude.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16168
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Aug 2018, 20:02

Warren wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 20:18
Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:55
Warren wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:41
Aresen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:09
The Four Corners Monument looks totally different from when I saw it in the early 90s, thanks to a remodel. Wheelchair-accessible and the Navajo trinket vendors get proper shade.

Also, interestingly, while the survey that set one of the borders was actually off by almost two thousand feet (apparently good for the tech of the time), the markers themselves, including the monument, are the legal standard.
I'm not impressed. The 49th parallel was surveyed at roughly the same time with a maximum deviation of 800 feet over a 2000 mile long stretch of complete wilderness, including mountain ranges.
Not impressed :x Fifty-Four Forty or Fight!
42
What do you get if you multiply six by nine?
To be fair, that really does answer a lot of questions about the universe.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests