You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jul 2018, 15:07

JD wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 12:29
I don't usually like raw onions, but I did once eat a "salad" that consisted of nothing but white onion with vinegar. It was...better than I'd expected.
Europeans have weird ideas about salads, but I could kind of figure a way for that to work. That would probably be fucking delightful with Vidalia onions.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jul 2018, 15:09

nicole wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:25
Fuck peppers.

Seriously. Fucking filler bullshit food. Do you know how much red bell pepper there is in like every single Lean Cuisine? Just why. Why. No one needs that.

And the bell peppers in the Chipotle veggie mix completely ruin it. I would be including onions in every fucking burrito if they didn't come with all that fucking green pepper.

The red ones are at least just overkill, not actively gross even in small amounts, but the green ones are bad.

In other news I am growing peppers right now. Banana though. But they're not for me. Because fuck peppers.
Banana peppers are chiles. Chiles are often delicious and make things better. Although as noted above, jalapenos are not good raw, and should be replaced by literally any other chile if possible.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Jul 2018, 15:53

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 15:06
onions and bell peppers are fine as ingredients if done right. Philly cheese steak, fajitas, in chinese food.

Onions are good in a lot of other circumstances. Green bell peppers are at best less-good outside of cooked dishes.

But badly done bell-pepper-based-spaghetti sauce is the worst.

Also green peppers and onions ruin pizza in most circumstances. Replace those green peppers with diced roasted green chiles (hatch/new-mexico/anaheim/poblano) and all of a sudden things get soooooo much better. Probably red bell peppers are even enough.

Raw green peppers are just all astringency and blandness in a way that doesn't help anything. Almost any preparation beyond raw greenness - ripening to yellow/orange/red, sauteeing, roasting, etc - is enough better that why would you bother with raw ones?
Cosign except for onions on pizza. Sausage & onions is my go-to pie.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Jul 2018, 16:19

I love bell peppers, though the red ones make me queasy if I eat them raw.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2018, 16:58

All Bell Peppers Matter!

1/4 of a raw green bell pepper stuffed with cottage cheese and topped with cracked pepper is a damned fine low cal snack.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jul 2018, 20:32

Eric the .5b wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 18:44
The TV Tropes entry on celebrities having unexpected great fame abroad is called, "Germans Love David Hasselhoff".

In English.

The German-language entry is entitled, "Americans Love Rammstein".
I wonder if Japan has some sort of "Americans love anime" trope.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 25 Jul 2018, 23:53

I'm on Team Warren. I'm finding the bell pepper antagonism ne pas tres belle.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 26 Jul 2018, 13:06

Warren wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:58
All Bell Peppers Matter!

1/4 of a raw green bell pepper stuffed with cottage cheese and topped with cracked pepper is a damned fine low cal snack.
For livestock.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jul 2018, 13:09

shoo shoo
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Jul 2018, 20:59

I miss eating cottage cheese. Never tried it with bell peppers.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Jul 2018, 21:06

I’ve never heard of it. Not intuitive that would work. I like porky things with bell peppers.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Jul 2018, 00:35

JasonL wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 21:06
I’ve never heard of it. Not intuitive that would work. I like porky things with bell peppers.
Raw is a whole different animal.
But I don't know I ever do pork with green pepper. I do stuffed peppers, chicken fajitas, cheese steak. I'll throw a little in a tomato sauce. So, meatballs are part pork.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 27 Jul 2018, 00:45

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 20:59
Oooh, now cottage cheese is something I haven't thought about in decades. Growing up it was a staple, desert was cottage cheese with a pear or peach half sunk in the middle of a pile of it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Jul 2018, 00:53

dead_elvis wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 00:45
Eric the .5b wrote:
Oooh, now cottage cheese is something I haven't thought about in decades. Growing up it was a staple, desert was cottage cheese with a pear or peach half sunk in the middle of a pile of it.
ha ha Yeah, canned fruit in syrup.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 27 Jul 2018, 01:08

Warren wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 00:53
dead_elvis wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 00:45
Eric the .5b wrote:
ha ha Yeah, canned fruit in syrup.
And it was home canned! An art (and annual ritual) I lament was not passed on.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Jul 2018, 14:32

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 15:07
JD wrote:
I don't usually like raw onions, but I did once eat a "salad" that consisted of nothing but white onion with vinegar. It was...better than I'd expected.
Europeans have weird ideas about salads, but I could kind of figure a way for that to work. That would probably be fucking delightful with Vidalia onions.
This sounds like salsa criolla, which everyone should add it to their repertoire. It's awesome on all kinds of meat and fish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_criolla

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Jul 2018, 18:14

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 14:32
lunchstealer wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 15:07
JD wrote:
This sounds like salsa criolla, which everyone should add it to their repertoire. It's awesome on all kinds of meat and fish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_criolla
That sounds tasty, actually. Pity that I have to avoid onions.

JD

Post by JD » 21 Aug 2018, 14:17

The Hindenburg had a smoking room. As crazy as that sounds, it seems to have been carefully thought out: one electric lighter was available, since open flames were strictly prohibited; the room was kept at positive pressure so no leaking hydrogen could get in; and the Hindenburg's bar also served as the only way in or out of the smoking room so that an eye could be kept on the door.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Aug 2018, 15:57

Pecans were not domesticated until the 19th century -- 1840s according to Guns, Germs, and Steel, while Wikipedia merely says they were first sold commercially in the 1880s.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2018, 19:08

What a sight it must have been - triumphant and terrifying, that day the first pecan accepted the saddle.

Jake

Post by Jake » 21 Aug 2018, 19:22

JasonL wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:08
What a sight it must have been - triumphant and terrifying, that day the first pecan accepted the saddle.
:lol:
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Aug 2018, 19:26

Would someone enrage Warren? I'm missing it.

Jake

Post by Jake » 21 Aug 2018, 19:28

That pecan joke is funny because JasonL is comparing pecans -- a not-particularly-active sort of thing -- with horses, which are very different. This juxtaposition of horse-based imagery with a small and unassuming nut makes the humor work.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Aug 2018, 19:40

Jake wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:28
That pecan joke is funny because JasonL is comparing pecans -- a not-particularly-active sort of thing -- with horses, which are very different. This juxtaposition of horse-based imagery with a small and unassuming nut makes the humor work.
Jake. I love you. But you just lost my vote for Mayor of Cottage Grove for explaining - indeed, over-explaining - a joke.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Aug 2018, 20:07

Aresen wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:40
Jake wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 19:28
Jake. I love you. But you just lost my vote for Mayor of Cottage Grove for explaining - indeed, over-explaining - a joke.
And managing to be incomplete at the same time; I still don't know where horses come in.