You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by JD » 24 Jul 2018, 16:22

Jennifer wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 16:17
lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 16:09
Jennifer wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 15:37
In Pixar's movie "Inside Out" (a little girl's emotions are all individual characters living inside her head), "Disgust" takes over when the little girl's dad tries feeding her broccoli. But in many other countries, including Japan, broccoli does not have the same grossness factor it does here, so in that scene, the girl's father tries feeding her pieces of green bell pepper instead.
It was a lot longer into adulthood that green bell pepper stopped being gross to eat than it was for broccoli.
Even as a picky-eater little kid, I actually always liked broccoli (at least the dark green "leafy" part on top; the pale green stalks remain gross to this day). But bell peppers remain only an ingredient, not a food of its own.
Ditto. I never found broccoli gross. I will eat a few pieces of bell pepper now as an adult, but mostly it has to be cooked for me to eat it.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jul 2018, 16:46

I know many evolutionary psychology theories tend to be just-so stories, but I do think the EP folks got it right, regarding the theory "Why do all human children of a Certain Age, regardless of ethnic or cultural background, go through a picky-eater phase including a heavy dose of 'screw vegetables'" -- the picky-eater phase kicks in once kids are old enough to feed themselves, rather than passively wait for someone else to put food in their mouths. So it's a very good thing, that such kids tend NOT to be adventurous regarding new foods, else our toddler ancestors all would've died of food poisoning long before they could grow up and actually become our ancestors. And the universal small-kid loathing for most if not all green foods is actually extremely useful for toddlers living in the wild conditions humans had for the overwhelming majority of our time on earth -- the idea "Green plants are a healthy eating choice" is good advice in the narrow, artificial context of a modern supermarket produce aisle ... but if you're outdoors looking at the world around you, "eat the green stuff" is TERRIBLE advice because only a tiny fraction of green plants are healthy and nutritious for humans; most green stuff is either nutritionally worthless (because we lack the ability to break down and digest cellulose), or downright poisonous to us.

Just a couple days ago, I was reading an article -- or maybe a reddit post, I don't remember -- but someone in the comment thread said something like "My kid used to love green beans until he turned two, and now he won't eat anything green at all! WTF?" Kid's not trying to drive his poor mother crazy; he's instinctively ensuring our species does not go extinct this generation.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2018, 17:09

JD wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 16:22
Jennifer wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 16:17
lunchstealer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
In Pixar's movie "Inside Out" (a little girl's emotions are all individual characters living inside her head), "Disgust" takes over when the little girl's dad tries feeding her broccoli. But in many other countries, including Japan, broccoli does not have the same grossness factor it does here, so in that scene, the girl's father tries feeding her pieces of green bell pepper instead.
It was a lot longer into adulthood that green bell pepper stopped being gross to eat than it was for broccoli.
Even as a picky-eater little kid, I actually always liked broccoli (at least the dark green "leafy" part on top; the pale green stalks remain gross to this day). But bell peppers remain only an ingredient, not a food of its own.
Ditto. I never found broccoli gross. I will eat a few pieces of bell pepper now as an adult, but mostly it has to be cooked for me to eat it.
Broccoli is like all the other forms of cabbage. It's really good under the right circumstances, but it can go rank really fast in the wrong circumstances. Fresh broccoli is good. Broccoli that has sat too long still tastes good at first, but then you end up with rank cabbage belches for several hours afterwards.

But yeah good broccoli was delicious from the time I started experimenting with eating fresh vegetables that weren't carrots. Raw bell peppers had this weird astringent taste/odor that was very offputting. It's also there with raw jalapenos.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Jul 2018, 18:02

lunchstealer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I haven't reached that point yet at 47 years old. Red and yellow bell peppers are not bad, but green bell peppers are just blech.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2018, 18:03

Highway wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 18:02
lunchstealer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I haven't reached that point yet at 47 years old. Red and yellow bell peppers are not bad, but green bell peppers are just blech.
I accept your amendment.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Jul 2018, 18:44

The TV Tropes entry on celebrities having unexpected great fame abroad is called, "Germans Love David Hasselhoff".

In English.

The German-language entry is entitled, "Americans Love Rammstein".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2018, 20:51

Eric the .5b wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 18:44
The TV Tropes entry on celebrities having unexpected great fame abroad is called, "Germans Love David Hasselhoff".

In English.

The German-language entry is entitled, "Americans Love Rammstein".
Did they misspell Scorpions?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Jul 2018, 21:16

Bell peppers are just little grenades of gross that explode into otherwise perfectly good dishes and ruin them.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2018, 21:40

I remember that the bane of my existence as a kid was being presented with spaghetti where they'd used green bell peppers in the sauce. It was just sadness and woe.

Then when I got here, there was this awesome little former-mob-hangout Italian joint that had a bunch of awesome things, and as I was working my way through the menu I decided to just get their spaghetti and meat sauce to see what that was like. It showed up and there were green bits of pepper all through it. I was prepared to be so so so sad. But it was delicious. Like, super good. Their puttanesca was better, as was their homemade capellini in a more marinara-esque red sauce, but no for real you guys it is possible for a tomato-and-bell-pepper spaghetti sauce to not taste like satan's herbal diarrhea.

Which just makes all the others that much more of a crime.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Jul 2018, 22:14

I am going to stick up for green bell peppers. While I am not fond of them on pizza or spaghetti, I do like them in soups and stews.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 25 Jul 2018, 03:28

Sauteed bell peppers go in every sauce. Just like onions and celery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_trinity_(cuisine)

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jul 2018, 08:52

I’ve never found them gross. I use them occasionally when I’m feeling Cajun or Spanish (sofrito).

My caramelized bottom/steamed top broccoli has converted at least 3 never broccoli people.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2018, 09:08

I am horrified to hear that some people think green bell peppers are gross.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by JasonL » 25 Jul 2018, 09:31

I first found out about this in cooking articles that polled professionals about ingredients they can’t deal with. The two that surprised me most were bell peppers and tomato paste.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Jul 2018, 10:23

Highway wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 18:02
lunchstealer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I'd like to revise and extend your remark to 52 years.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Jul 2018, 10:25

Fuck peppers.

Seriously. Fucking filler bullshit food. Do you know how much red bell pepper there is in like every single Lean Cuisine? Just why. Why. No one needs that.

And the bell peppers in the Chipotle veggie mix completely ruin it. I would be including onions in every fucking burrito if they didn't come with all that fucking green pepper.

The red ones are at least just overkill, not actively gross even in small amounts, but the green ones are bad.

In other news I am growing peppers right now. Banana though. But they're not for me. Because fuck peppers.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jul 2018, 10:36

What I find interesting is if there is a relatively broad genetic predisposition toward peppers are gross, you wouldn't expect to find them as a core cooking element in several cuisines. Like some people say they hate onions but they don't mind the mirepoix of onions, carrots and celery that forms the base of so italian and french dishes. Latin America, spain, and cajun traditions use sofrito that very often has bell pepper.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2018, 11:20

JasonL wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 09:31
I first found out about this in cooking articles that polled professionals about ingredients they can’t deal with. The two that surprised me most were bell peppers and tomato paste.
Warren is not hear right now. He is sitting in a dark closet sucking his thumb. He will get back to you when he finds a way to accept the possibility of the universe again. Please leave your message after the beep. BEEEEEEEEEP
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Jul 2018, 12:01

The rogue clan. Six sibling lions managed to take over a territory the size of Manhattan.

https://steemit.com/writing/@ollie7/ban ... pogo-lions
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2018, 12:03

Pham Nuwen wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 12:01
The rogue clan. Six sibling lions managed to take over a territory the size of Manhattan.

https://steemit.com/writing/@ollie7/ban ... pogo-lions
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jul 2018, 12:13

JasonL wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:36
What I find interesting is if there is a relatively broad genetic predisposition toward peppers are gross, you wouldn't expect to find them as a core cooking element in several cuisines. Like some people say they hate onions but they don't mind the mirepoix of onions, carrots and celery that forms the base of so italian and french dishes. Latin America, spain, and cajun traditions use sofrito that very often has bell pepper.
Onions cooked until they are soft (or at least chewy) with a hint of sweetness from caramelization are great. Under-cooked onions that have that crunchy onion texture are the worst.

Onions on pizza had better be caramelized. If I get a crunch from an onion on a pizza I spit it out.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 25 Jul 2018, 12:29

I don't usually like raw onions, but I did once eat a "salad" that consisted of nothing but white onion with vinegar. It was...better than I'd expected.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2018, 12:56

JD wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 12:29
I don't usually like raw onions, but I did once eat a "salad" that consisted of nothing but white onion with vinegar. It was...better than I'd expected.
That's a pretty low bar for a dish that sounds like the chef regurgitated on a plate.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Jul 2018, 14:53

I blame my poor eating habits relating to vegetables on how bland my mother cooked. We typically ate frozen vegetables boiled, with virtually nothing added, I doubt even any salt. So I basically ate no vegetables for about 10 years after leaving home. Once I started having broccoli in Chinese dishes, I realized I liked it, it just needs complimentary flavor added.

My wife is allergic to onions and bell pepper, and I had no idea they were so common until I could no longer have them. Never cared much about bell pepper until I discovered that they are delicious when generously covered in teriyaki and tabasco and grilled.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jul 2018, 15:06

onions and bell peppers are fine as ingredients if done right. Philly cheese steak, fajitas, in chinese food.

Onions are good in a lot of other circumstances. Green bell peppers are at best less-good outside of cooked dishes.

But badly done bell-pepper-based-spaghetti sauce is the worst.

Also green peppers and onions ruin pizza in most circumstances. Replace those green peppers with diced roasted green chiles (hatch/new-mexico/anaheim/poblano) and all of a sudden things get soooooo much better. Probably red bell peppers are even enough.

Raw green peppers are just all astringency and blandness in a way that doesn't help anything. Almost any preparation beyond raw greenness - ripening to yellow/orange/red, sauteeing, roasting, etc - is enough better that why would you bother with raw ones?