You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2018, 18:20

dead_elvis wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 17:15
...like maybe the stronger flavor of pheasant would make it taste like something other than a crunchy blob of mayo.
Pheasant salad sounds pretty good and all. The way to make chicken salad taste like something other than a crunchy blob of mayo is to use more chicken and less celery and mayo. If you want to up the flavor of the fowl, go with rotisserie chicken. My version invites mustard and craisins to the party.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Jun 2018, 18:25

Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 18:20
dead_elvis wrote:
...like maybe the stronger flavor of pheasant would make it taste like something other than a crunchy blob of mayo.
Pheasant salad sounds pretty good and all. The way to make chicken salad taste like something other than a crunchy blob of mayo is to use more chicken and less celery and mayo. If you want to up the flavor of the fowl, go with rotisserie chicken. My version invites mustard and craisins to the party.
Chicken salad without mustard is sadness. On the rare occasion that I make it, I use a good dill relish, but I've had it with chunks of apple so I bet craisins or the like would work nicely, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2018, 18:52

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 18:25
Warren wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
Chicken salad without mustard is sadness. On the rare occasion that I make it, I use a good dill relish, but I've had it with chunks of apple so I bet craisins or the like would work nicely, too.
YOU FOOL! Dill relish was the secret ingredient. Now everybody knows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Jun 2018, 08:29

Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 18:52
lunchstealer wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 18:25
Warren wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
YOU FOOL! Dill relish was the secret ingredient. Now everybody knows.
Replace the dill relish with a spicy apple chutney, and now we're talkin'.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Jun 2018, 08:40

Former Maryland governor Martin O'Malley personally owns War of 1812 re-enactor uniforms and kit.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2018, 09:24

Kolohe wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 08:40
Former Maryland governor Martin O'Malley personally owns War of 1812 re-enactor uniforms and kit.
Does the kit include a 30' x 42' flag?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Jun 2018, 10:58

I don't think so, but there is still a piece or two missing that experts think might be some family's heirloom collection.

Also, he might have Francis Scott Key's house. Like for real, nobody knows where it is. It was dissembled in the 1910s and put in storage when they built the bridge (with his name on it) on that property to connect Rosslyn and Georgetown. The Interior department / park service lost track of it in the intervening years.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2018, 11:27

Kolohe wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 10:58
I don't think so, but there is still a piece or two missing that experts think might be some family's heirloom collection.

Also, he might have Francis Scott Key's house. Like for real, nobody knows where it is. It was dissembled in the 1910s and put in storage when they built the bridge (with his name on it) on that property to connect Rosslyn and Georgetown. The Interior department / park service lost track of it in the intervening years.
Hmmm... I wonder how the market for that is? Like how hard would it be to put together fake FSK's house bundles and sell them as stolen?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 18 Jun 2018, 14:22

Kolohe wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 08:40
Maybe he was trying to take get an 'in the trenches perspective' on national defense?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2018, 23:47

W. Kamau Bell and N. K. Jemisin are cousins.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2018, 21:26

I just found out that George Will is an atheist. (Granted, the source was wikipedia, but it still surprised me.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 28 Jun 2018, 19:07

John Tyler, the 10th president of the U.S. (d. 1862) as of today has two living grandchildren.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 03 Jul 2018, 14:16

Tuberculosis treatment requires "Directly Observed Therapy". Like methadone a health care practitioner must watch you take your pill and then record it.

Related, Alaska is second only to Hawaii in TB rates in the nation.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

JD

Post by JD » 05 Jul 2018, 15:26

The root of the word paraphernalia is Greek; it comes from "parapherna" which means "beyond the dowry" and was used to describe property that a woman brought to her marriage that was hers alone, and did not become her husband's.

On a related note, the word heirloom used to specifically mean something that could not be bequeathed away from the owner's estate at his death (although he could always dispose of it during life).
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Jul 2018, 19:50

Kwix wrote:Tuberculosis treatment requires "Directly Observed Therapy". Like methadone a health care practitioner must watch you take your pill and then record it.

Related, Alaska is second only to Hawaii in TB rates in the nation.
Baltimore wrote: Hold my Natty Bo

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jul 2018, 15:18

Two of the long-sleeved linen shirts I've bought for extreme-hot-n-humid conditions have buttons above the elbows on their sleeves. I thought those were so you could roll up the sleeve and then put the elbow-button through the buttonhole on the cuffs to keep the sleeves in place; I never could fold/roll the sleeves so they'd look good, but figured maybe that was because those two shirts in question are from my "very large on me" collection, rather than my much smaller selection of "linen shirts that actually fit." But last night, Jeff (who also has been acquiring hot-weather linen clothes, including a much larger selection of shirts with elbow-buttons) showed me that actually, such elbow-button shirts have strips of cloth with buttonholes at the end sewn inside their sleeves; what you're supposed to do is roll/fold the sleeves up, then use that little internal strip of cloth to wrap around the rolled fabric and button the sleeve into place.

In other words, I'm a 100-percent hetero cis woman whose equally hetero cis husband taught me how to properly wear women's clothes. All this time I thought I was married to Jeff, when in reality I'd married Jadagul. :shock:
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Jul 2018, 18:31

Jennifer wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 15:18
Two of the long-sleeved linen shirts I've bought for extreme-hot-n-humid conditions have buttons above the elbows on their sleeves. I thought those were so you could roll up the sleeve and then put the elbow-button through the buttonhole on the cuffs to keep the sleeves in place; I never could fold/roll the sleeves so they'd look good, but figured maybe that was because those two shirts in question are from my "very large on me" collection, rather than my much smaller selection of "linen shirts that actually fit." But last night, Jeff (who also has been acquiring hot-weather linen clothes, including a much larger selection of shirts with elbow-buttons) showed me that actually, such elbow-button shirts have strips of cloth with buttonholes at the end sewn inside their sleeves; what you're supposed to do is roll/fold the sleeves up, then use that little internal strip of cloth to wrap around the rolled fabric and button the sleeve into place.

In other words, I'm a 100-percent hetero cis woman whose equally hetero cis husband taught me how to properly wear women's clothes. All this time I thought I was married to Jeff, when in reality I'd married Jadagul. :shock:
I have 100% dude shirts that have that feature as well.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 08 Jul 2018, 18:53

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:31
Jennifer wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 15:18

I have 100% dude shirts that have that feature as well.
Yeah, I have a bunch of those shirts. But I felt like saying that would be supporting Jennifer's narrative.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jul 2018, 21:43

I can't help wondering: had Jeff not shown me this, how long would it have taken before I discovered the inner cloth buttonhole-strip? Once I did, I'm sure it would've taken me very little time to figure out what it was for -- but I must've worn each shirt at least three times, and never noticed the buttonhole strips.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 09:46

There are 2 models for that shirt - jadagulian and Ex Officio.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Jul 2018, 09:51

One of my all-time favorite shirts had that and dubs used to call it my Afrika Korps shirt. (It was khaki.) Donated many years ago. (Too small.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jul 2018, 14:25

Mine are from LL Bean, because sometimes cargo shorts and white new balance tennis shoes just don't get the message across.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 14:36

Haha

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jul 2018, 15:13

Turns out I actually own three such shirts with buttons high on the sleeves; when I dyed my bad-color shirts last night, turns out one of the formerly ugly-green, now attractive-blue, shirts has it as well. And -- this is not something I "learned" so much as "figured out" -- it looks MUCH better if you fold/roll and button the sleeves BEFORE you put the shirt on. Amazing!

(That said: IMO it would work better if each such sleeve had two buttons and two internal cloth-strips, one on top of the arm and one on the bottom.)

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 Jul 2018, 15:20

Jennifer wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 15:13
Turns out I actually own three such shirts with buttons high on the sleeves; when I dyed my bad-color shirts last night, turns out one of the formerly ugly-green, now attractive-blue, shirts has it as well. And -- this is not something I "learned" so much as "figured out" -- it looks MUCH better if you fold/roll and button the sleeves BEFORE you put the shirt on. Amazing!

(That said: IMO it would work better if each such sleeve had two buttons and two internal cloth-strips, one on top of the arm and one on the bottom.)
If the sleeves are rolled well and everything works, the one strap is really all you need. But you're right that when things get loose, there's a tendency of the other side of the sleeve to kind of asymmetrically unroll itself.

There are basically two ways to roll up sleeves. One is to actually roll them up, which is what everyone defaults to. This has two problems. One is that it's not really all that internally stable. The other is that the more you roll, the tighter the sleeves become; I can't roll up most of my shirts because they don't really fit over my biceps properly then.

The other way is to do a sort of double fold. The first fold puts your cuffs up around mid-bicep; the second fold takes the seam of that first fold, puts it just below the cuff, and brings that bottom of the sleeve to over your elbow. This looks a bit nicer than rolling, in my opinion; is pretty stable; and doesn't make things quite so tight. This may or may not be compatible with your strap, though, depending on the dimensions of the sleeve and your arm.

(Googling for a diagram led to a suggestion that you can also tuck the second fold into the first. This will probably look a bit neater if you do it right, but I like the calculated slight-sloppy of not tucking).