You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Warren » 20 Apr 2018, 11:22

nicole wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 10:56
I finally looked it up, and "Ray Donovan" is...the name of a TV show? Not what I expected.
Never heard of it, but apparently it's been around for five seasons. Why were you looking it up?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Apr 2018, 12:23

Warren wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 11:22
nicole wrote:
I finally looked it up, and "Ray Donovan" is...the name of a TV show? Not what I expected.
Never heard of it, but apparently it's been around for five seasons. Why were you looking it up?
There's a whole thing about how Michael Cohen "is" Ray Donovan or something.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Apr 2018, 14:40

nicole wrote:
This is similar to my learning, a little while back, that Aubrey Plaza was not a location or a show.

Yes, I live under a rock when it comes to a lot of pop culture.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Apr 2018, 00:03

Explanations of the many markings on commercial ships:

https://www.hakaimagazine.com/videos-vi ... -of-ships/
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Apr 2018, 11:32

Neato

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 21 Apr 2018, 11:34

Winning the contest for most-obviously-not-gonna-be-successful-til-you-change-that-name-sweepstakes, Tavares was, for their first decade or so, named "Chubby and The Turnpikes".
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Apr 2018, 14:24

Highway wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 00:03
Explanations of the many markings on commercial ships:

https://www.hakaimagazine.com/videos-vi ... -of-ships/
"Captain, contact bearing 325, angle on bow port 30, ID...looks like, the Nosmo King"

"Weird, that's the 4th ship we've seen with that name today"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Apr 2018, 10:30

The USAF proposed using 1000 rockets to pause the earth's rotation in response to a nuclear attack in order to have the missiles miss their target. A RAND engineer thought this force would rupture the earth to the core.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Apr 2018, 12:18

Mo wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 10:30
The USAF proposed using 1000 rockets to pause the earth's rotation in response to a nuclear attack in order to have the missiles miss their target. A RAND engineer thought this force would rupture the earth to the core.

I saw a Youtube video answer to this a little while ago, but I can't find it. It may have been from a guy called Scott Manley, who was working toward an astronomy PhD before switching to programming and playing a shit-ton of Kerbal Space Program, and still uploads a lot of neat space & rocketry vids.

Anyway, the video calculated that the number of F-1 engines needed (they were the ones in the Saturn V) to slow the earth's rotation would've put so much heat, CO, & CO2 into the air that humans really wouldn't need to worry about a nuclear war afterwards.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 25 Apr 2018, 17:46

I'm still stuck on the "presumably, when things had settled down and earth was again spinning normally" part. Did they think it would... just start spinning again on its own? Or was there supposed to be a second massive array of rocket engines pointed in the other direction to get it going again?
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Apr 2018, 18:03

Jake wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 17:46
I'm still stuck on the "presumably, when things had settled down and earth was again spinning normally" part. Did they think it would... just start spinning again on its own? Or was there supposed to be a second massive array of rocket engines pointed in the other direction to get it going again?
I had the same thought.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 25 Apr 2018, 18:04

I would need to see a good bit more supporting evidence before I believed this story at all, even given that it wasn't so much "the USAF proposed" as "one USAF officer proposed."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Apr 2018, 23:30

JD wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 18:04
I would need to see a good bit more supporting evidence before I believed this story at all, even given that it wasn't so much "the USAF proposed" as "one USAF officer proposed..."
"... as a joke."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Apr 2018, 23:44

JD wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 18:04
I would need to see a good bit more supporting evidence before I believed this story at all, even given that it wasn't so much "the USAF proposed" as "one USAF officer proposed."
Top. Men.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 May 2018, 22:19

Minnesota "ope".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2018, 15:55

In 1916, with World War I looming for the United States, a group of Nebraska residents gathered petition signatures and sent a constitutional amendment to Congress that would have enacted a national referendum before lawmakers could declare war. On top of the national vote, anyone who cast a ballot in favor of war would have been required to register as a volunteer for service in the United States Army.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 May 2018, 19:06

Jennifer wrote:
10 May 2018, 15:55
In 1916, with World War I looming for the United States, a group of Nebraska residents gathered petition signatures and sent a constitutional amendment to Congress that would have enacted a national referendum before lawmakers could declare war. On top of the national vote, anyone who cast a ballot in favor of war would have been required to register as a volunteer for service in the United States Army.
Huh, maybe that's where Heinlein got the idea from.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2018, 19:28

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 May 2018, 19:06
Jennifer wrote:
10 May 2018, 15:55
Huh, maybe that's where Heinlein got the idea from.
If such a law were enacted, I'm sure we'd've had far fewer wars in the 20th century - IMO, the only war{s} we were justified in fighting were World War Two (which genuinely wasn't our choice; the Japanese and Nazi Germany declared war first), and maybe the Korean War due to treaty obligations. (I say maybe because I'm not entirely sure of the history leading up to that mess, and don't care to look it up.)

The only post-2000 war I supported -- and I think still would've supported even IF my support meant I had to join the military -- was invading Afghanistan in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. But -- worst-case scenario -- given how evermore war activities are handled by drones and other high-tech things enabling one to actually be a soldier without personally risking one's own life or safety, if such a law were enacted now, I fear the result might actually be MORE wargames than we currently have. "Huh, the economy sucks and I can't find a decent job no matter what -- but if we had a war and I voted for it, then I could join the military! The pay isn't great, but my family and I would all get housing and free healthcare, and if I could avoid getting killed for 20 years I'd have a guaranteed pension and free healthcare for life! Woo hoo! Let's declare war on Venezuela!"

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 May 2018, 14:12

In the 19th century, acne was called "chastity pustules," not because they'd keep you unwillingly chaste, but from the belief that virgins' bodies had difficulty expelling toxins.

JD

Post by JD » 16 May 2018, 09:28

Deep in a South African gold mine, a new species of bacterium was found, called Desulforudis audaxviator (literally, "bold traveller", after a Latin inscription in Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth), living in complete isolation: "D. audaxviator survives in a habitat where it gets its energy not from the sun but from hydrogen and sulfate produced by the radioactive decay of uranium. Living alone, D. audaxviator must build its organic molecules by itself out of water, inorganic carbon, and nitrogen from ammonia in the surrounding rocks and fluid."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 May 2018, 10:56

Great. Bacterial incels.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 May 2018, 10:59

JD wrote:
16 May 2018, 09:28
Deep in a South African gold mine, a new species of bacterium was found, called Desulforudis audaxviator (literally, "bold traveller", after a Latin inscription in Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth), living in complete isolation: "D. audaxviator survives in a habitat where it gets its energy not from the sun but from hydrogen and sulfate produced by the radioactive decay of uranium. Living alone, D. audaxviator must build its organic molecules by itself out of water, inorganic carbon, and nitrogen from ammonia in the surrounding rocks and fluid."
Sort of a bacterial survivalist, I guess.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 May 2018, 16:40

Inurnment: The placing of cremated remains in an urn followed by placement in a niche or some other resting location.

(I read something about an "inurnment service" and thought it must be a weird typo for interment. Nope!)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 May 2018, 18:05

Christina Hendricks is married to the guy who played the stoner in the back seat at the beginning of Super Troopers.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 06 Jun 2018, 17:15

I have always thought of pheasant as such an integral part of rural america that I find it shocking that it isn't actually native- didn't really catch on here until late 1800s-early 1900s.

I don't really care for chicken salad, but this actually sounds good to me, like maybe the stronger flavor of pheasant would make it taste like something other than a crunchy blob of mayo.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/phea ... uth-dakota
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."