You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Jul 2017, 13:25

Highway wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 13:57

Red light cameras should have been used for high crash intersections, with extra warning signs, and used with good engineering practice as the effective safety tool they can be.
And IMO only after lengthening the yellow fails.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Jul 2017, 13:30

Yes, there's a limit to how long the yellow can be and still be effective.

But then, that's kind of what led to the current state of opinion. Lengthening the yellows didnt work enough, but cameras were expensive. And some contractors came in and said "well, we can help with that". It wouldn't even have been bad if that had been above board. But they ruined it through sneaky shenanigans.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jul 2017, 13:49

Highway wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 13:30
Yes, there's a limit to how long the yellow can be and still be effective.

But then, that's kind of what led to the current state of opinion. Lengthening the yellows didnt work enough, but cameras were expensive. And some contractors came in and said "well, we can help with that". It wouldn't even have been bad if that had been above board. But they ruined it through sneaky shenanigans.
Yes. "Policing for profit" is not a good idea, especially in the hands of politicians.

Highway: Is there an optimal time for the effectiveness of a yellow light? On many highway intersections locally, there are "Prepare to Stop" signs placed a few hundred feet ahead of the intersection that start flashing before the light turns yellow. They are timed so that, if you see the lights start flashing before passing under the warning sign, the traffic light will turn yellow before you enter the intersection.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Jul 2017, 14:05

There is an optimal range based on the approach speeds and the geometrics of the intersection. Really, the optimal time is the one that gets people stopped. There is a recommended minimum of 3.5 seconds, I believe, and what some places were doing was going under even that.

But there are some intersections that just yellow time isn't good for. The advance signs you mention are for when you can't reliably see the light, so you don't know how long it's been yellow.

There has been a back and forth debate about all sorts of aspects of signal design. Like all-red time. In most places, it saves lives and reduces crashes. But in cities it can increase crashes since people abuse it. So for instance, Baltimore City doesn't have any all-red time downtown.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Jul 2017, 15:11

so all red time in this context is the time that all signals at an intersection etc are red?

baltimore has some completely dogshit road design.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Jul 2017, 15:16

One other advantage Roman concrete has, apparently, is much lower CO2 emissions.

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2013/06/04/roman-concrete/

I could see using it to make monuments. I mean, until the politics change and those monuments are deemed haram.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Jul 2017, 17:25

dhex wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 15:11
so all red time in this context is the time that all signals at an intersection etc are red?

baltimore has some completely dogshit road design.
Yeah, at most intersections, there will be an interval of a half-second or one second where one direction turns red, but all the other directions stay red.

And most cities, especially colonial cities, can't really be blamed for their overall road layouts, or even their roadway typical sections. It's a lot of "making the best of a shit situation because we can't knock down all these buildings at one time."

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Jul 2017, 17:36

granted. dc is a serious shitshow because it's dc and the signage is dogshit.

but like, baltimore? driving in baltimore is like the world's shittiest crossword puzzle. even philly is better.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Jul 2017, 21:13

Fuck the Boston area the tunnels and the construction therein. Providence to Logan took 2.5 hours not in rush hour, going against the evening traffic. Was in the tunnels for 45 mins.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jul 2017, 04:31

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 12:41
Speedy recovery for the Kwixmom. :(
Yes, best wishes and smooth sailing.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Jul 2017, 16:35

TIL that Employment to Population is a thing.

I guess it's obvious, in and of that you have two numbers you can measure just sitting right next to each other, but I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned as an economic metric before. That's kind of odd, because I read and listen to substantially more economists/economic commentary than the average bear (in my experience).
The employment to population ratio estimate of 61.8 percent remained above the U.S. average of 60.1 percent.
From this report.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jul 2017, 16:52

Dangerman wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 16:35
TIL that Employment to Population is a thing.

I guess it's obvious, in and of that you have two numbers you can measure just sitting right next to each other, but I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned as an economic metric before. That's kind of odd, because I read and listen to substantially more economists/economic commentary than the average bear (in my experience).
The employment to population ratio estimate of 61.8 percent remained above the U.S. average of 60.1 percent.
From this report.
It's a wonky stat, because you need to adjust it based on demographics. Even if you stick to prime age (25-54) you still have demo issues. 25 year olds are more likely to be in grad school and 54 year olds are still more likely to be retired. So you need to do some demographic tweaking.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Jul 2017, 16:55

Oldification messes up
a lot of stats.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jul 2017, 21:25

JasonL wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 16:55
Oldification messes up
a lot of stats.
It's not just that, it's also the fact that the primest* age generation is the smallest generation. There are still snake people in school, though fewer and fewer, and there are still boomers working. Both groups are way larger than Gen X.

* Unlikely to be in school or retired
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Jul 2017, 22:28

I don't know how many of you academic types here use or have ever used the academic word processing program Nota Bene, but looking for something else in JSTOR yesterday, I stumbled upon the excerpt below. Tony Woozley was my mentor for legal philosophy in grad school and a very nice man with a wry sense of humor. (Of course, this assessment may be biased by the fact that I believe he liked me, using me a a TA and supervising my master's thesis research.) Anyway, it appears that after Tony retired in the 1980s he started playing with a KayPro computer and soon became so dissatisfied with software documentation and users guides that he took to writing his own, especially the Nota Bene guide.
While many philosophers know [Anthony Woozley's] Theory of Knowledge his Law and Obedience or his papers on Locke or Berkeley or Hume, or legal and moral questions, Nota Bene users know him as the author of the massive Customization and Programming Guide, a volume distinguished by the same clarity as his philosophical writing

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Jul 2017, 09:47

I've stumbled down a bit of a Reddit rabbit hole on /r/soylent, which is for all kinds of meal replacement drinks and powders, not just the Soylent brand. Apparently in the US, Soylent is nearly the only game in town, but Europe has a TON of Soylent-type products, with new ones popping up regularly.

I thought the narrative was that Americans are all fat because we don't value fresh food and quality meals the way Europeans do, but apparently they're more interested in ditching food completely than we are. ;)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Jul 2017, 17:13

Ellie wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 09:47
I've stumbled down a bit of a Reddit rabbit hole on /r/soylent, which is for all kinds of meal replacement drinks and powders, not just the Soylent brand. Apparently in the US, Soylent is nearly the only game in town, but Europe has a TON of Soylent-type products, with new ones popping up regularly.

I thought the narrative was that Americans are all fat because we don't value fresh food and quality meals the way Europeans do, but apparently they're more interested in ditching food completely than we are. ;)
Last time I looked, Ensure and its fellows were all still on the shelf.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jul 2017, 20:21

Isn't that also NutriSystem?
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Jul 2017, 21:29

Ellie wrote:
There's also a hobbyist subculture of people who mix up their own meal-replacement goos from protein supplements and such, trading recipes, figuring out the cheapest formulas, etc. There's probably a Reddit for that.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Jul 2017, 01:00

Sandy wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 17:13
Ellie wrote:

Last time I looked, Ensure and its fellows were all still on the shelf.
Despite being a "meal replacement," you'd have to drink 8 Ensures per day to get enough calories and protein. And then you'd end up with 200-400% of the RDA of the vitamins and minerals it's fortified with. That wouldn't worry me but it makes some people antsy. Anyway, Soylent and its ilk aim for 3 or 4 servings having the balance of everything you need. And there are vegan and low-carb versions as well.

Or at least, this is my understanding of why there was a niche for Soylent et al to fill.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jul 2017, 23:10

Isn't part of it that you pee out a lot of vitamins and minerals if you take it in liquid form, rather than as part of food.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2017, 01:01

Mo wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 23:10
Isn't part of it that you pee out a lot of vitamins and minerals if you take it in liquid form, rather than as part of food.
Nothing of my understanding of physiology makes that seem super likely except if it's absorbed super fast and thus blood levels spike causing the kidneys to remove it faster. Even so it seems like there should be ways around that. Doesn't happen with milk so far as I know.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jul 2017, 15:24

Berkson's Paradox in statistics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkson%27s_paradox

Say you only date people who are some mix of nice and good-looking. You'll consider a really good-looking person even if they aren't as nice as others, and a really nice-person even if they aren't very good-looking, but somebody who's just decent on one trait had also better be at least decent on the other. And anybody who is really great on both traits is probably out of your league. So in your dating pool it seems like the two traits are negatively correlated, even though there's no correlation between them in the wider population.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Jul 2017, 10:30

thoreau wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 15:24
Berkson's Paradox in statistics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkson%27s_paradox

Say you only date people who are some mix of nice and good-looking. You'll consider a really good-looking person even if they aren't as nice as others, and a really nice-person even if they aren't very good-looking, but somebody who's just decent on one trait had also better be at least decent on the other. And anybody who is really great on both traits is probably out of your league. So in your dating pool it seems like the two traits are negatively correlated, even though there's no correlation between them in the wider population.
Interesting! I suspect a lot of common wisdom has roots in similar phenomena.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Aug 2017, 18:55

Ian McEwan wrote a Macaulay Culkin film.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.