You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by the innominate one » 02 Feb 2018, 09:31

Happy lmbolc, everyone!

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Feb 2018, 09:33

Joann Fabrics has a line called Camo Couture, where, for example, you can get satin fabric in TrueTimber camo pattern.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Feb 2018, 23:43

Steve Martin was a huge standup comedy star. I'm sure many of you are rolling your eyes at me for not knowing this sooner. But somehow I didn't! When he got on my radar he had already stopped doing standup and was acting in movies, so I thought he was famous for being an actor, and somehow never realized he'd had a significant career before that.

Oh, here's another thing I learned today! When I looked up the Wikipedia entry on Steve Martin:
Stanley Kubrick met with him to discuss the possibility of Martin starring in a screwball comedy version of Traumnovelle (Kubrick later changed his approach to the material, the result of which was 1999's Eyes Wide Shut).
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Feb 2018, 13:13

Ellie wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 23:43
Steve Martin was a huge standup comedy star. I'm sure many of you are rolling your eyes at me for not knowing this sooner. But somehow I didn't! When he got on my radar he had already stopped doing standup and was acting in movies, so I thought he was famous for being an actor, and somehow never realized he'd had a significant career before that.

Oh, here's another thing I learned today! When I looked up the Wikipedia entry on Steve Martin:
Stanley Kubrick met with him to discuss the possibility of Martin starring in a screwball comedy version of Traumnovelle (Kubrick later changed his approach to the material, the result of which was 1999's Eyes Wide Shut).
Born Standing Up; Highly recommended. Printed or audio form, your choice.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Feb 2018, 01:23

Nivea cream is made in Germany. During World War Two, some German spies in Britain were caught because they all had Nivea hand lotion with them, and Nivea products weren't available in England during the war.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Feb 2018, 01:52

Yale University is the bearer of a 367-year-old bond from the water authority of Lekdijk Bovendams in the Netherlands, from which it still collects interest.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Feb 2018, 09:34

There was once a proposal for a midtown airport, that would be built on top of existing buildings. Not on top of their demolished remains, but literally on top of them.

https://untappedcities.com/2013/06/26/t ... p-airport/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Feb 2018, 14:18

Mo wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 09:34
There was once a proposal for a midtown airport, that would be built on top of existing buildings. Not on top of their demolished remains, but literally on top of them.

It was tried back in September 2001. :P
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Feb 2018, 14:33

Aresen wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 14:18
Mo wrote:

Dude. Too soon.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Feb 2018, 15:35

Warren wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 14:33
Aresen wrote:

Dude. Too soon.
It was funny when Gilbert Godfrey did it. It's still funny now.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Feb 2018, 07:42

Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:

That was downtown; the midtown one was tried in 1945.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Feb 2018, 10:46

Anyone who has been out in cold weather knows you have to pee more often, here is a possible explanation:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Feb 2018, 20:15

Something that is obvious with a little bit of thought, but the outer parts of a vinyl album can handle more dynamics (since they potentially have more bandwidth) than the inner parts, so albums were frequently structured to put the high dynamic and energetic songs at the beginning of the side, and more relaxing, lower dynamic songs at the end (closer to the inner edge).

So someone made an album where the groove goes backwards to put Ravel's Bolero on, to make use of this difference in a way that suits the medium.

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 23 Feb 2018, 09:08

Instead of summoning Satan, does playing Bolero backward summon a scantily clad Bo Dereck?
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Feb 2018, 09:55

pistoffnick wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:08
Instead of summoning Satan, does playing Bolero backward summon a scantily clad Bo Dereck?
Yes, but it's her right now, and she's kinda pissed.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Feb 2018, 11:00

Sandy wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:55
pistoffnick wrote:
Yes, but it's her right now, and she's kinda pissed.
Meh. As long as she's got the dreads.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Feb 2018, 13:48

pistoffnick wrote:
But be careful. If your needle is worn out, it can end up summoning a scantily clad Beau Bridges.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 26 Feb 2018, 06:54

I was only familiar with the compressed to hell mp3 version and always wondered why Bo Derek looked so much like Danny DiVito.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Mar 2018, 17:38

So my friend and I were watching a premiere league dart tournament on tv, and we noticed that they would typically go for triple 20 at first, and then switch to throwing at 19. We couldn't figure out why. I found an answer on reddit- to 'reset' their throw if they felt off, or if their previous shot is potentially blocking the next dart.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Apr 2018, 16:10

TIL that the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song "Wooden Ships" is a science-fictiony tale about the survivors of a nuclear holocaust; based on the relatively few snippets of lyrics I could catch, I'd always thought it was about hippies dropping out of corrupt American society:

"Say can I have some of your purple berries? Yes I've been eating them [mumble mumble something] haven't got sick once" -- I thought that was a drug reference -- these berries make you feel awesome and don't believe what The Man says about how drugs 'er bad, because I haven't got sick once -- but no, actually the purple berries are iodine pills, taken to prevent your body absorbing the radioactive version. [EDIT: According to a lyrics search, the full verse there is "Say, can I have some of your purple berries? Yes, I've been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Probably keep us both alive."

"I can see by your coat, my friend you're from the other side" -- thought it was hippies trying to befriend cops or guardsmen, putting daisies in rifle-barrels or something.

"Wooden ships on the water very free and easy, easy you know the way it's supposed to be etc." -- I thought that was a "Let's ditch modern society and go back to a simpler time" metaphor, but the actual point was that wooden ships, unlike metal ones, will not absorb radioactivity and become radioactive themselves (the survivors of a nuclear holocaust are riding those wooden ships to a safe zone somewhere).

"Horror grips us as we watch you die, all we can do is echo your anguished cry, stare as all human feelings die, we are leaving, you don't need us." Again, based on my "it's hippies who sing about leaving corrupt American society" theory, and also knowing this was the same group of musicians who wrote and sang "Ohio" about the Kent State killings, I figured this was a combination reference to Vietnam war deaths and people dying in America of various "Sixties unrest" causes, all of which explain why the purple-berry-eating hippies have decided to tune in, turn on and drop out, but nope -- that lyric is nuclear-holocaust survivors seeing people dying of radiation poisoning or something.

"Go, take your sister then, by the hand, lead her away from this foreign land" -- again, easy to see how this can tie in with the hippie dropout theme, we're gonna to to a commune and live in a geodesic dome.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 06 Apr 2018, 20:49

Huh, for those times obsidian just isn't handy, turns out you can use an old broken toilet to make sharp tools:

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JD

Post by JD » 12 Apr 2018, 12:32

The first manned, heavier-than-air aircraft flight was in 1903 (according to the canonical Wright Brothers story. Maybe a little earlier if you believe one of the other versions.)

The first mid-air collision was in 1910. I can only imagine those pilots thinking, "Man, I remember when I was the only plane around..."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 16 Apr 2018, 14:10

King John of Bohemia fought in the battle of Crécy. This would not be so surprising except that he was blind. And no, he didn't just "fight" in the sense that he was there as the nominal commander; he actually said (paraphrasing only slightly) "Just point me in the direction of the enemy and I'll go in swinging my sword."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 Apr 2018, 16:08

Jennifer wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 16:10
TIL that the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song "Wooden Ships" is a science-fictiony tale about the survivors of a nuclear holocaust; based on the relatively few snippets of lyrics I could catch, I'd always thought it was about hippies dropping out of corrupt American society:
Paul Kantner wrote the song with Stills but according to the infallible Wikipedia some legal dispute kept his name off the CSN version until that unrelated dispute was resolved. Jefferson Airplane played the song on Volunteers, a decidedly more militant and less flower powered album, so you may have had different first impressions if you had heard the JA version first. As it happens, both groups played the song at Woodstock but CSN's version was on the subsequent movie and JA's wasn't. I like the JA version more, probably because of the more elaborate background sounds and mostly because I had a crush on Grace Slick back in the 60s.

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Apr 2018, 10:56

I finally looked it up, and "Ray Donovan" is...the name of a TV show? Not what I expected.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul