You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2017, 18:25

Sure, TIO, "yellow snow" was already a pre-existing phrase, but I'd thought (before Jake filled the shameful gap in my Biblical knowledge) that the specific phrase "nasty yellow snow drilled full of holes from visiting dogs" was my own invention as opposed to unconscious plagiarism of a childhood Sunday school lesson.

But in the article I'd read about the Eskimo language (which called it a "polysynthetic" language, as opposed to "agglutinative") it said that in English you combine nouns with adjectives or verbs with adverbs to make descriptive phrases, but in Eskimo you combine root words with descriptive prefixes or suffixes. The article was specifically written to address the myth "Is it true Eskimos have a hundred different words for snow" -- true and then some, because there's no real limit to the number of different words you can make in a polysynthetic language, anymore than there's a limit to the number of descriptive phrases you can invent in a language like English, by combining words with modifiers.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 18:38

I think Jake was kidding.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2017, 19:10

JD wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 18:19
I am reminded of my new favorite Bible verse, Isiah 56:12:
"Come," they say, "let's get some wine and have a party. Let's all get drunk. Then tomorrow we'll do it again and have an even bigger party!"
Is that the Revised English Substandard version?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 03 Nov 2017, 14:00

Warren wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 19:10
JD wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 18:19
I am reminded of my new favorite Bible verse, Isiah 56:12:
"Come," they say, "let's get some wine and have a party. Let's all get drunk. Then tomorrow we'll do it again and have an even bigger party!"
Is that the Revised English Substandard version?
New Living Translation; read it and, uh, weep, I guess. But really, the translation seems to be decent enough; even the KJV has it as "Come ye, say they, I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 19:28

If Wikipedia can be relied on, I was present the only time the Black Crowes and the Grateful Dead played a concert together.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Nov 2017, 19:54

the innominate one wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 19:28
If Wikipedia can be relied on, I was present the only time the Black Crowes and the Grateful Dead played a concert together.
You mingled with the Dead Heads?
C.K. Dexter Haven you have unsuspected depth.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 20:03

I like the Grateful Dead. We've discussed this on the board before, though there's no particular reason to remember that tidbit. I thought no one else here liked them. I saw them once while Jerry Garcia was alive and several times after he died in various incarnations including the Dead and Further. Seeing the local cover band was a regular thing during my undergrad days and an occasional thing during my master's. I've also seen Dark Star Orchestra twice.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Nov 2017, 20:54

06 Nov 2017, 20:03
I like the Grateful Dead. We've discussed this on the board before, though there's no particular reason to remember that tidbit. I thought no one else here liked them. I saw them once while Jerry Garcia was alive and several times after he died in various incarnations including the Dead and Further. Seeing the local cover band was a regular thing during my undergrad days and an occasional thing during my master's. I've also seen Dark Star Orchestra twice.
I don't remember the previous conversation. Though I would say that after Jerry died, it simply wasn't The Dead anymore. In fact, the scene really changed after Touch of Grey. Of course I missed out on whatever it was prior to 1983 as well.

I don't even know if I like The Dead as a band. What was going on on stage at a Dead show was entirely incidental.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 21:19

US Blues is one of my favorite songs. China Cat Sunflower is also good, among many others. I don't care to listen to their jams, however. I don't listen to them much any longer.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Nov 2017, 07:19

06 Nov 2017, 21:19
US Blues is one of my favorite songs. China Cat Sunflower is also good, among many others. I don't care to listen to their jams, however. I don't listen to them much any longer.
I'm the other fan around here, although I'm too young to have seen them live with Jerry. And I go for the jams more than anything.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Nov 2017, 07:31

If you're not familiar, you should check out Dark Star Orchestra. Each of their concerts is an exact as possible recreation of a GD concert from history. They tour.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Nov 2017, 22:19

This Roy Moore thing brought up the fact that Seinfeld dated a 17 year old high school student when he was 39 and on his TV show. WTF?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Nov 2017, 22:21

Mo wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 22:19
This Roy Moore thing brought up the fact that Seinfeld dated a 17 year old high school student when he was 39 and on his TV show. WTF?
Massive tits.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Nov 2017, 22:23

dbcooper wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 22:21
Mo wrote:
Massive tits.
He had the top rated show in the country. He couldn't find a 25 year old with massive tits?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Nov 2017, 22:32

Mo wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 22:23
dbcooper wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 22:21
Mo wrote:
Massive tits.
He had the top rated show in the country. He couldn't find a 25 year old with massive tits?
Not as perky, no.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Nov 2017, 22:36

I remember that. It was weird. Not defending Seinfeld, but 17 is much different from 14 in most cases and they dated for 4 years. Doesn't make it right, but probably wasn't just about the boobs. His current wife was married when he met her. She got divorced quickly thereafter.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Nov 2017, 10:36

I thought she was even younger when they met.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Nov 2017, 11:15

Well, Jerry Seinfeld's chance of becoming a US Senator from Alabama is now ruined.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Nov 2017, 12:03

Kolohe wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:15
Well, Jerry Seinfeld's chance of becoming a US Senator from Alabama is now ruined.
He can still ask out a 14 year old. It's not too late.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Nov 2017, 12:09

And there are plenty of other southern states.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Nov 2017, 12:11

Mo wrote:
The US Senate is funnier than Seinfeld.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Nov 2017, 12:13

Whatever character flaws Seinfeld might have or had, he wasn't a freaking officer of the court making a move on the minor child of someone headed into that court.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Nov 2017, 12:15

Yes, but is Moore an anti-Dentite? Did he ever advise a restaurant owner on a disastrous redesign? Did he ever forget a girlfriend's name?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Nov 2017, 12:19

Sandy wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:36
I thought she was even younger when they met.
She was 17 when they met and turned 18 shortly after: http://defamer.gawker.com/remember-when ... 1714153938

I totally remember this from back at the time but honestly mostly remember thinking it was weird that he wasn't dating a famous person.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Nov 2017, 17:28

The actress who played the Bluth family publicist in Arrested Development is Kid Rock's sister.