You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by the innominate one » 25 Sep 2017, 11:30

Range not as restricted as initially thought, but still pretty restricted and still receiving protection under the ESA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_darter_controversy

The main effect appears to have been to slow down the building of a dam enough to permit relocation and establishment of snail darter populations in other rivers. After the dam was built, the population in the Little Tennessee River did become extirpated, as predicted.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 25 Sep 2017, 11:37

The point being, professionals wanted it protected because it was endangered; people mocked it and said who cares because it's not cute.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Sep 2017, 11:44

Yes, I was just adding some details. I don't know what ecosystem services the snail darter might provide, either. The reason it was saved is because the ESA is broad. We don't know which bolt (species) might cause the whole airplane (ecosystem) to crash, so it applies the precautionary principle.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Sep 2017, 13:03

Robert Durst, the accused murderer, dated Mia Farrow's sister, whose name is Prudence.

2 conclusions:

1. the Farrow sisters have terrible judgement
2. Mia's sister's name is a misnomer

1 question:

How often do people who are named after virtues attempt to live up to the eponymous virtue or just rebel against it? How early do girls named Chastity lose their virginity compared to the average?

JD

Post by JD » 28 Sep 2017, 18:02

Wendy O. Williams' first appearance on TV was on the Howdy Doody show, tap-dancing, at the age of six. (If you don't know why that's amusing, google her, but be aware that pretty much every picture of her is NSFW.)

JD

Post by JD » 28 Sep 2017, 20:23

If you google "metronome", there's a metronome, right there in your web browser. It wusses out at 220 bpm, though. (Not totally being sarcastic about that. I'm working on a song which really only does sound right around 225 or even higher.)

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Sep 2017, 21:07

JD wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 20:23
If you google "metronome", there's a metronome, right there in your web browser. It wusses out at 220 bpm, though. (Not totally being sarcastic about that. I'm working on a song which really only does sound right around 225 or even higher.)
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Sep 2017, 21:33

JD wrote:If you google "metronome", there's a metronome, right there in your web browser. It wusses out at 220 bpm, though. (Not totally being sarcastic about that. I'm working on a song which really only does sound right around 225 or even higher.)
Just set it to 112 or 113 and double time that shizzle...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Sep 2017, 22:22

JD wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 18:02
Wendy O. Williams' first appearance on TV was on the Howdy Doody show, tap-dancing, at the age of six. (If you don't know why that's amusing, google her, but be aware that pretty much every picture of her is NSFW.)
Wilder sex: her and Lemmy, or Grace Jones and Dolph Lundgren?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 29 Sep 2017, 08:49

Taktix® wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 21:33
JD wrote:If you google "metronome", there's a metronome, right there in your web browser. It wusses out at 220 bpm, though. (Not totally being sarcastic about that. I'm working on a song which really only does sound right around 225 or even higher.)
Just set it to 112 or 113 and double time that shizzle...
Yeah, that's probably the most reasonable answer.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Sep 2017, 17:57

There are 812,851,200 possible arrangements in a 6×6 Latin square design, if Wolfram Alpha is correct. That seems like too many.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 30 Sep 2017, 00:02

the innominate one wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 17:57
There are 812,851,200 possible arrangements in a 6×6 Latin square design, if Wolfram Alpha is correct. That seems like too many.

It's 812,851,200 if you count rearrangements like "flip it upside down" and "swap all the 5s and 6s". It's 9,408 if you require the first row and column both to be in natural order. Wiki

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Sep 2017, 03:34

Thanks, J. I'm using randomly generated Latin squares for setting up studies. Flip it upside down or swap 5s and 6s would count if they happened to come up by random chance.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Oct 2017, 06:39

http://stevenseagal.com/?page_id=28
Here are just a few awards that Steven has been honoured with over the years;

First Annual Environmental Media Awards September 30,

PETA Humanitarian Award in 1999

Sashi 2001 Humanitarian Award

Honoured as the first private citizen to destroy a
Nuclear Device
Hmm ...
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Oct 2017, 06:46

Hahahhaha Jesus Christ we're genuinely lucky he has zero charisma.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Oct 2017, 07:13

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Oct 2017, 17:22

From the "Economy" episode of Adam Ruins Everything: I already knew that unemployment statistics were misleading in part because, among other things, it doesn't count people who are out of work but feeling so discouraged they are not actively seeking work (or, like, looking at help-wanted ads but seeing nothing to apply for); what I did not know is that you're also counted as "employed" if you made as little as twenty dollars in the previous week. So if you lost your job a year ago and are still desperately trying to find full-time work, but meanwhile your neighbor paid you 20 bucks to watch her kids while she and her husband went out for date night last weekend, you are NOT considered "unemployed."

This would help explain that apparently nonsensical statistic someone (Mo, maybe?) posted here some time ago: unemployment is super-low, yet wages aren't increasing.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by JasonL » 04 Oct 2017, 17:42

There are other metrics people look at. A critique about those kind of stories is the unemployment rate is designed to target a specific feature of the economy and using it as a proxy for "hard times" is a failure of intuition as much as a failure of the metric. It is a survey which means some of the odd stuff like $20 is actually based on assumptions about how people answer survey questions. It's imperfect but not as bad as made out by people who insist everything is twice as bad as it looks etc. Wage data comes from a different place so you can't tell that $20 is really relevant to wages or not. People don't report $20 on tax forms for example.

Summary
https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm#unemployed

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Oct 2017, 19:26

JasonL wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 17:42
There are other metrics people look at. A critique about those kind of stories is the unemployment rate is designed to target a specific feature of the economy and using it as a proxy for "hard times" is a failure of intuition as much as a failure of the metric.
Does the same criticism apply to those who look at the unemployment rate and use it as a proxy for "good times" (as evidenced by the low unemployment rate)?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Oct 2017, 19:29

Yes. A specific thing is doing okay or not ok.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Oct 2017, 19:32

Then for now -- given that unemployment is officially "low" yet it's not resulting in increased wages -- the problem comes from those who'll point at low unemployment as proof the economy is doing well (or, conversely, that any individual not doing well is personally at fault, for failing while the economy is humming along).

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Oct 2017, 20:25

As others have pondered before, are stagnant wages partly a result of health care costs rising, so the value of the compensation package is rising even if the liquid compensation is not increasing?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Oct 2017, 20:27

thoreau wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 20:25
As others have pondered before, are stagnant wages partly a result of health care costs rising, so the value of the compensation package is rising even if the liquid compensation is not increasing?
IIRC, the "wages aren't rising" article someone posted here included seasonal/part-time no-bennies gigs.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Oct 2017, 20:35

No question the wages of some percentage reaching into the middle class even net of healthcare are stagnant. The middle class is bifurcated though and some people are doing quite well. It's a skilled unskilled thing. One question is how many people who are trying to work can find employment of any type. This is a question about the supply of available jobs in the economy including gig type stuff. Another question is how many people aren't looking for work and why. That's labor participation. A third question is how much are people being paid at various skill tiers when they get jobs. That's wages over time. A fourth question is what is the standard of living for working people or non working people. That's the one I care about most and it considers how much you make and what you can consume in quantity and quality.