You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Nov 2019, 13:55

FMF or MFM?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Dangerman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Dangerman » 26 Nov 2019, 17:58

It was MFWillemDafoe.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Nov 2019, 22:01

Talk about a devil's triangle.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Nov 2019, 15:13

There is a new or new-ish public park in Atlanta named in honor of Kathryn Johnston. (She was the elderly black lady murdered by cops who broke into her house on a no-knock warrant, then planted drugs on her dead body to try justifying their actions. The park is not far from the house where she lived.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Dec 2019, 13:40

I'd never been entirely sure of the distinction between "shirt" and "blouse" -- I had the idea "a blouse is a type of shirt, but on the 'nicer' or 'fancier' side," and for many of my own top-half garments I might use either word to refer to them -- say, a certain solid-color button-front top might be a "shirt" when I wear it with jeans, but a "blouse" with "good pants" and a blazer or suit jacket -- but there are other, considerably more casual top-half garments which I always referred to as "shirts," including T-shirts and pretty much anything that's pullover rather than button-on.

Finally, I thought to look up the official distinction: the "blouses are fancier than shirts" idea was on the right track, but didn't go all the way to the station. The original difference between a shirt and a blouse was, shirts had pockets but blouses did not (because "pockets" go on practical workaday gear). Which means at least some of the tops I'd previously thought of as "blouses" are actually shirts, regardless of how nice they otherwise are ... and also, every "T-shirt" I own is actually a T-blouse. Jeff has a lot of concert blouses from his younger days; I have only the one Anathema concert blouse, plus a few science-fiction promotional blouses I got from a friend who worked for the SyFy channel.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Dec 2019, 16:11

This post by dbcooper made me look up who Terry Melcher was:
dbcooper wrote:
23 Nov 2019, 12:07
Guys like Terry Melcher, who would fuck Candice Bergen then go up to Spahn Ranch to get VD from an unbathed Manson girl, were like the heterosexual version of bug chasers
This caused me to learn that the last mega-hit for the remains of the Beach Boys, "Kokomo", was originally written by John Phillips and Scott McKenzie and then rewritten by Melcher and Mike Love. There's something darkly appropriate about that much early 60s songwriting talent producing that song in the late 80s.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Dec 2019, 16:41

Jennifer wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 15:13
There is a new or new-ish public park in Atlanta named in honor of Kathryn Johnston. (She was the elderly black lady murdered by cops who broke into her house on a no-knock warrant, then planted drugs on her dead body to try justifying their actions. The park is not far from the house where she lived.)
I would like to think that it contains one of those 'public garden' things where people can go to grow their own weed.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex