You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Warren » 12 Oct 2019, 10:51

Ellie wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 10:35
Inspired by the Well-Dressed Man thread, while trying to find out if Thomas Jefferson could have worn wingtips (answer: no, they only date to the early 1900s), I discovered there is a type of shoe called the Pampootie. "They are formed of a single piece of untanned hide folded around the foot and stitched with twine or a leather strap. Hide from the buttocks was most often used."

So the pampootie is made from the booty.
The pampootie is a bootie made from booty.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Oct 2019, 10:55

*high five*
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Oct 2019, 12:52

Ellie wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 10:35
Inspired by the Well-Dressed Man thread, while trying to find out if Thomas Jefferson could have worn wingtips (answer: no, they only date to the early 1900s), I discovered there is a type of shoe called the Pampootie. "They are formed of a single piece of untanned hide folded around the foot and stitched with twine or a leather strap. Hide from the buttocks was most often used."

So the pampootie is made from the booty.
Doubtlessly also where the phrase "kick some ass" came from.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Oct 2019, 16:53

The trooper in Spaceballs who ain't found shit when combing the desert was Tim Russ, aka Tuvok on VOY.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Oct 2019, 19:27

Hugh Akston wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 16:53
The trooper in Spaceballs who ain't found shit when combing the desert was Tim Russ, aka Tuvok on VOY.
Ah yes, that would have been sometime during his rebellious period prior to undergoing the tal'oth ritual.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 29 Oct 2019, 10:51

If you're of the age that I think most of us here are, i.e. not a kid, you probably remember when the Soviet Union shot down Korean Air Lines flight 007.

But a very similar incident had happened only five years earlier, when the Soviet shot down KAL 902. As in KAL 007, a KAL flight strayed into Soviet airspace, this time near the Kola peninsula in northern Russia. Even though the fighter pilot on the scene reported that he thought it was a civilian airliner and not a threat, he was ordered to shoot it down. The airliner made an emergency landing in Russia, and the crew and most of the passengers survived. The USSR refused to cooperate with international experts or turn over any information from the black box, something which probably only heightened tensions when the later shootdown occurred.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD » 30 Oct 2019, 15:07

Ransomware actually dates back to 1989, when biologist Joseph Popp mailed out about 20,000 floppy disks purporting to be from an AIDS research effort. But if you ran the program on the disk, it infected you with a trojan that eventually encrypted the filenames of everything on your system and demanded that you send money to a PO box in Panama, whereupon you would be mailed back the decryption software. It was not very successful, and Popp was quickly arrested, but he was found mentally unfit to stand trial.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD » 06 Nov 2019, 11:37

There is actually a sunken submarine just off Coney Island, in waters so shallow the conning tower sticks up above the surface. It was built by one man in 1967, and he planned to salvage from the Andrea Doria with it, but it sank when being first placed in the water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quester_I

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Nov 2019, 14:30

JD wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 11:37
There is actually a sunken submarine just off Coney Island, in waters so shallow the conning tower sticks up above the surface. It was built by one man in 1967, and he planned to salvage from the Andrea Doria with it, but it sank when being first placed in the water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quester_I
That is fascinating!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Nov 2019, 14:31

TotallyADD.com is a site providing videos and books, "dedicated to helping adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and those affected by it, (family, employers, health professionals, etc.) to liberate themselves from fear, shame, and stigma and create a life they love. Our mission is personal—we are a team of people with ADD or affected by it" ... run by Rick Green, creator of The New Red Green Show.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Nov 2019, 15:07

Ellie wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 14:31
The New Red Green Show.
The what now? Awwww damnit millennials. Why you ruin my boomer fun?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Nov 2019, 15:42

Okay, so, I would SWEAR that EVERY EPISODE I watched began with Harold saying, "It's The New Red Green Show!" But looking on Wikipedia, it was only called that for a season, and all the DVDs and season sets call it The Red Green Show? I don't know if this is LSNED or full-on Mandela Effect.

Regardless, the show whereof I speak is the same one you're thinking of, fear not.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Nov 2019, 16:19

Ellie wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 15:42
Okay, so, I would SWEAR that EVERY EPISODE I watched began with Harold saying, "It's The New Red Green Show!" But looking on Wikipedia, it was only called that for a season, and all the DVDs and season sets call it The Red Green Show? I don't know if this is LSNED or full-on Mandela Effect.

Regardless, the show whereof I speak is the same one you're thinking of, fear not.
Yeah at some point they got a little higher budget and could light their sets and do computer graphics that didn't look like they were the result of waving a magnet at your CRT, and I think for a while they kind of talked about it as the 'new' red green show, but it wasn't like it was discontinued and resurrected. As far as I can tell, it was just the next season but now they could afford more than two sets and more than four actors.

ETA: and it kinda lost some of the magic. Half the joy was from the amount of humor they could eke out of a slightly-above-cable-access production.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Nov 2019, 20:30

Ellie wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 15:42

Shwoo
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2019, 10:56

Jammed in between Poland, Lithuania, and the Baltic Sea, is Kaliningrad, which is a province of Russia.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 12 Nov 2019, 14:13

Hey, kids, remember this one?

Well, guess what:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Nov 2019, 19:57

JD wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 14:13
Hey, kids, remember this one?

Well, guess what:

See also:

(Drum track and slide whistle bits.)

And those are the big, obvious ones.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Nov 2019, 04:18

I mean it's not that surprising considering the members of Deee-lite. You had Bootsy Collins and Jungle D.J. Towa Towa, so there's some deep music knowledge in the group.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex