You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Aresen

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Aresen » 25 Jan 2019, 16:39

SS Richard Montgomery, the 1.5 kiloton bomb in the middle of the Thames estuary.

It is a wikipedia article, but reading through it, I felt a mix of whitewash and kicking-the-can-down-the-road as I read about all the reports saying an explosion is unlikely.

It may well never happen, but there is a distinct possibility that it could. It also appears to be one of those situations where attempting to resolve it could trigger the explosion you are trying to avoid.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Jan 2019, 16:31

The dead fish in Faith No More’s music video for Epic was stolen from Bjork.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Jan 2019, 09:47

The Heartbreak Ridge scene where they use Mario Van Peebles's credit cards to call in fire support actually happened during the actual Grenada military operation.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Jan 2019, 10:11

Kolohe wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 09:47
The Heartbreak Ridge scene where they use Mario Van Peebles's credit cards to call in fire support actually happened during the actual Grenada military operation.
Looking back it kind of amazes me that anything positive militarily was made of Grenada. It was a complete clusterfuck and the only real good that came of it was the military realized it's interservice command was a bad joke.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jan 2019, 10:25

Painboy wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 10:11
Kolohe wrote:
Looking back it kind of amazes me that anything positive militarily was made of Grenada. It was a complete clusterfuck and the only real good that came of it was the military realized it's interservice command was a bad joke.
Well the Cuban forces were even less organized, significantly less well armed, and fewer in number. I wouldn't go so far as to say success was inevitable, but I think you'd need something like WWI levels of active stupidity for it to have failed. Had the American students been taken hostage and killed would be the primary concern. And like you say, the postmortem was instructive.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Jan 2019, 10:29

Kolohe wrote:
I had no idea Mario Van Peebles served his country. I should thank him for his service.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jan 2019, 11:14

JasonL wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 10:29
Kolohe wrote:
I had no idea Mario Van Peebles served his country. I should thank him for his service.
Let me hear you say ROCK THE HOUSE!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Jan 2019, 11:16

Warren wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 10:25
Painboy wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 10:11
Kolohe wrote:
Well the Cuban forces were even less organized, significantly less well armed, and fewer in number. I wouldn't go so far as to say success was inevitable, but I think you'd need something like WWI levels of active stupidity for it to have failed. Had the American students been taken hostage and killed would be the primary concern. And like you say, the postmortem was instructive.
It's amazing how so much of military history swings not on who was more brilliant but who was the least stupid.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Jan 2019, 15:55

JasonL wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 10:29
Kolohe wrote:
He's how Ollie North got the idea that you can work with an Ayatollah if you want to get something done in Latin America.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 05 Feb 2019, 12:51

For centuries, European artists sometimes put pseudo-Arabic script in their artwork, because it signified the exotic Middle East, and some Europeans mistakenly thought it was the writing in common use during the Biblical era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-Kufic
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Feb 2019, 19:20

Not only did Croakies survive past 1995, but they are still a thing. Virtually unchanged. Weird.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 10 Feb 2019, 14:09

Aquaman is married to Lisa Bonet, who is 12 years older than him.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Feb 2019, 16:20

I did not know Genesis P-Orridge and Cosey Fanni Tutti were models on an album cover by of all bands UFO.
FCAkTKDhyAnReUruT3ndYV-1200-80.png
FCAkTKDhyAnReUruT3ndYV-1200-80.png (480.06 KiB) Viewed 210 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Feb 2019, 20:05

Why old timey boxers all posed the same way in pictures.

TLDW: They used a different stance because they had different things to worry about than modern fighters. They were bare knuckles so they didn't hit each other in the face that much because they would break their hands. Grappling was also a possibility in a lot of contests (occasionally headbutting and groin shots as some fought dirty). So it was wise to keep your guard low. Also endurance was important as fights could go 30-40 rounds or more which was another reason to protect themselves from body blows that could wind them.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Feb 2019, 05:18

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Feb 2019, 12:27

dbcooper wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 05:18
I wonder what all the cats in Leningrad perished of during the siege? ;)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Feb 2019, 18:28

Found via metafilter: a new paper suggests that it was our distant pre-human ancestors' taste for fat (rather than meat) that set the stage for the later evolution of our big brains and intelligence.
Long before human ancestors began hunting large mammals for meat, a fatty diet provided them with the nutrition to develop bigger brains, posits a new paper in Current Anthropology.

The paper argues that our early ancestors acquired a taste for fat by eating marrow scavenged from the skeletal remains of large animals that had been killed and eaten by other predators. The argument challenges the widely held view among anthropologists that eating meat was the critical factor in setting the stage for the evolution of humans.

“Our ancestors likely began acquiring a taste for fat 4 million years ago, which explains why we crave it today,” says Jessica Thompson, the paper’s lead author and an anthropologist at Yale University. “The reservoirs of fat in the long bones of carcasses were a huge calorie package on a calorie-poor landscape. That could have been what gave an ancestral population the advantage it needed to set off the chain of human evolution.”

Thompson, who recently joined Yale’s faculty, completed the paper while on the faculty at Emory University.

While focusing on fat over meat may seem like a subtle distinction, the difference is significant, Thompson says. The nutrients of meat and fat are different, as are the technologies required to access them. Meat eating is traditionally paired with the manufacture of sharp, flaked-stone tools, while obtaining fat-rich marrow only required smashing bones with a rock, Thompson notes.

The authors review evidence that a craving for marrow could have fueled not just a growing brain size, but the quest to go beyond smashing bones with rocks to make more sophisticated tools and to hunt large animals. ...
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Feb 2019, 22:02

The paper argues that our early ancestors acquired a taste for fat by eating marrow scavenged from the skeletal remains of large animals that had been killed and eaten by other predators. The argument challenges the widely held view among anthropologists that eating meat was the critical factor in setting the stage for the evolution of humans.
That's weird. Not sure what I've been reading but I thought the fat thing was more of a common consensus. Our ancestors were scavengers before they were hunters. Predators don't leave much meat on the bone when they're done. Only the brain and marrow are left because predators aren't usually equipped to crack bones. A heavy rock and a swing of the arm can though works just fine.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » Yesterday, 00:56

Painboy wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 22:02
That's weird. Not sure what I've been reading but I thought the fat thing was more of a common consensus. Our ancestors were scavengers before they were hunters. Predators don't leave much meat on the bone when they're done. Only the brain and marrow are left because predators aren't usually equipped to crack bones. A heavy rock and a swing of the arm can though works just fine.
Yeah some one of the Nova type specials on human development held the theory that the first shaped tools used by Australopithecines were hand axes that the prevailing theory held were used primarily for gaining access to marrow while scavenging the scraps from big predators' kills.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR