You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Tuco

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Tuco » 25 Aug 2018, 07:01

Yesterday I learned that if you're pulled over on the side of the road taking a whizz and a Border Patrolman stops and asks you what you're doing, "I'll give you three guesses, Sherlock," is not the way he would like you to answer.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Aug 2018, 10:10

Tuco wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 07:01
Yesterday I learned that if you're pulled over on the side of the road taking a whizz and a Border Patrolman stops and asks you what you're doing, "I'll give you three guesses, Sherlock," is not the way he would like you to answer.
*puts popcorn in µ-wave*
Tell us more.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Aug 2018, 17:52

Shit. I'm assuming you don't need bail money. Fuck that guy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Aug 2018, 19:51

It's the "Sherlock" that makes it. Though I always go with "Barney".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Aug 2018, 22:50

JD wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 18:04
I would need to see a good bit more supporting evidence before I believed this story at all, even given that it wasn't so much "the USAF proposed" as "one USAF officer proposed."
The Air Force would never have proposed something that would have interfered with so many golf games.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 26 Aug 2018, 06:20

Warren wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 10:10
Tuco wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 07:01
*puts popcorn in µ-wave*
Tell us more.
Usual shit. Lemme see your ID, put your hands on the hood, is this your veehickle, ran my pistol, kind of did a half-assed rifling through my pickup. No cuffs this time, didn't call backup or anything, and I didn't get shot or even lectured. Kind of anticlimactic.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 26 Aug 2018, 06:27

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:52
Shit. I'm assuming you don't need bail money. Fuck that guy.
Somewhere there is a BP agent on a message board telling the same story, and someone is responding "Fuck that guy."

It's almost poetic.

JD

Post by JD » 31 Aug 2018, 10:53

I'd never heard of this pangram before today: Jack amazed a few girls by dropping the antique onyx vase!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Aug 2018, 11:33

JD wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 10:53
I'd never heard of this pangram before today: Jack amazed a few girls by dropping the antique onyx vase!
After which, we promptly judged antique ivory buckles for the next prize.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 20 Sep 2018, 14:08

Daniel Defoe (the author of Robinson Crusoe) was once sentenced to the pillory for his political activities; however, he was popular enough with the crowd that instead of throwing manure and eggs and dead animals at him, they threw flowers.

He also wrote this, which is still sadly applicable here and now:
I only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such, and I think the inference is just, since what they are to-day, we were yesterday, and to-morrow they will be like us. If foreigners misbehave in their several stations and employments, I have nothing to do with that; the laws are open to punish them equally with natives, and let them have no favour. But when I see the town full of lampoons and invectives against Dutchmen only because they are foreigners, and the King reproached and insulted by insolent pedants, and ballad-making poets for employing foreigners, and for being a foreigner himself, I confess myself moved by it to remind our nation of their own original, thereby to let them see what a banter is put upon ourselves in it, since, speaking of Englishmen ab origine, we are really all foreigners ourselves.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 03 Oct 2018, 15:20

In 1894, a Pennsylvania candy-maker began making bite-sized foil-wrapped drops of chocolate.

They were called Wilbur Buds. That copycat Hershey didn't start making his version until 1907.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Oct 2018, 20:42

The heart-shaped frozen-nitrogen glacier on Pluto most likely has the consistency of toothpaste. And it is "boiling," though at such a stupendously slow rate that from a human perspective, it may as well be immobile.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Oct 2018, 22:39

There is a sub on Reddit called r/UNBGBBIIVCHIDCTIICBG , which stands for "Upvoted Not Because Girl, But Because It Is Very Cool; However, I Do Concede That I Initially Clicked Because Girl"

Not only amusing, but full of quality content of both interest and hot girls :D
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Nov 2018, 16:26

Apparently just post Kristallnacht there was a plan proposed by the Secretary of the Interior to settle Jewish refugees into Alaska as it was a territory and would therefore bypass the normal immigration quotas.
This was shot down by Jewish leaders as "giving a wrong impression", Alaskan politicians*, and ultimately FDR who insisted on capping the Jewish influx to no more than 1000 people per year.
4 part article, links below as the hard links in the articles no longer work:
Wiki
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

*One of the most vociferous was Anthony Dimond, after whom we have a named High School and a major road.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 Nov 2018, 16:57

I found the answer to "but who will build muh roads?!"

In 1915 a successful San Diego businessman, determined for the city to not be left behind after Los Angeles was selected as the terminus of the Transcontiental Railroad, built a 6 mile long wood plank road across shifting sand dunes to create a commercial route between San Diego, CA and Yuma, AZ.

Less than a month after successfully completing the plank road the California Highway Commission assumed responsibility for the road and it's successors but that's another episode.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Dec 2018, 12:27

Jennifer wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 15:18
Two of the long-sleeved linen shirts I've bought for extreme-hot-n-humid conditions have buttons above the elbows on their sleeves. I thought those were so you could roll up the sleeve and then put the elbow-button through the buttonhole on the cuffs to keep the sleeves in place; I never could fold/roll the sleeves so they'd look good, but figured maybe that was because those two shirts in question are from my "very large on me" collection, rather than my much smaller selection of "linen shirts that actually fit." But last night, Jeff (who also has been acquiring hot-weather linen clothes, including a much larger selection of shirts with elbow-buttons) showed me that actually, such elbow-button shirts have strips of cloth with buttonholes at the end sewn inside their sleeves; what you're supposed to do is roll/fold the sleeves up, then use that little internal strip of cloth to wrap around the rolled fabric and button the sleeve into place.

In other words, I'm a 100-percent hetero cis woman whose equally hetero cis husband taught me how to properly wear women's clothes. All this time I thought I was married to Jeff, when in reality I'd married Jadagul. :shock:
Paging Jadagul (or anyone else who happens to know the answer to this riddle): I bought another linen shirt a couple of days ago -- this one of thicker material than my "extreme hot weather" linen shirts, so it's going in my "temperatures that WOULD be comfortable, were it not so cloyingly humid" pile. This one does NOT have buttons high on the sleeves; instead, each sleeve has two gold-colored rings sewn onto it, in about the same spot as a sleeve-button. You have to get close to the shirt to see that each elbow has TWO rings rather than one. Is there, like, some trick to rolling up the sleeves and shoving them through the rings so they look good? Or might those rings only be there for "style?" (The rings are the same metallic gold color as the shirt-buttons, all of which are obviously meant to contrast against the dark purple color of the shirt itself.)

Not until typing this just now did I think to go into the closet and check: yes, the sleeves do have little strips of linen sewn inside them, and these strips do NOT have buttonholes at the end, the way the strips inside my "Buttons on the outer elbow" sleeves do.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Dec 2018, 12:32

Jennifer wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 12:27
Jennifer wrote:
Two of the long-sleeved linen shirts I've bought for extreme-hot-n-humid conditions have buttons above the elbows on their sleeves. I thought those were so you could roll up the sleeve and then put the elbow-button through the buttonhole on the cuffs to keep the sleeves in place; I never could fold/roll the sleeves so they'd look good, but figured maybe that was because those two shirts in question are from my "very large on me" collection, rather than my much smaller selection of "linen shirts that actually fit." But last night, Jeff (who also has been acquiring hot-weather linen clothes, including a much larger selection of shirts with elbow-buttons) showed me that actually, such elbow-button shirts have strips of cloth with buttonholes at the end sewn inside their sleeves; what you're supposed to do is roll/fold the sleeves up, then use that little internal strip of cloth to wrap around the rolled fabric and button the sleeve into place.

In other words, I'm a 100-percent hetero cis woman whose equally hetero cis husband taught me how to properly wear women's clothes. All this time I thought I was married to Jeff, when in reality I'd married Jadagul. :shock:
Paging Jadagul (or anyone else who happens to know the answer to this riddle): I bought another linen shirt a couple of days ago -- this one of thicker material than my "extreme hot weather" linen shirts, so it's going in my "temperatures that WOULD be comfortable, were it not so cloyingly humid" pile. This one does NOT have buttons high on the sleeves; instead, each sleeve has two gold-colored rings sewn onto it, in about the same spot as a sleeve-button. You have to get close to the shirt to see that each elbow has TWO rings rather than one. Is there, like, some trick to rolling up the sleeves and shoving them through the rings so they look good? Or might those rings only be there for "style?" (The rings are the same metallic gold color as the shirt-buttons, all of which are obviously meant to contrast against the dark purple color of the shirt itself.)

Not until typing this just now did I think to go into the closet and check: yes, the sleeves do have little strips of linen sewn inside them, and these strips do NOT have buttonholes at the end, the way the strips inside my "Buttons on the outer elbow" sleeves do.
Yeah, I was going to say, it should have little straps inside, right.

You do them like a belt with two rings, you know? https://www.businesstoday.in/magazine/b ... 00184.html
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jake

Post by Jake » 03 Dec 2018, 12:36

nicole wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 12:32
Jennifer wrote:

You do them like a belt with two rings, you know? https://www.businesstoday.in/magazine/b ... 00184.html
Wait... so they're not attachment points for carabiners? Uh oh... I need to exchange my wife's Christmas gift, pronto.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Dec 2018, 12:50

nicole wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 12:32
Jennifer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

[Blush] Actually, I don't know; I've never worn a two-ring belt. [Checks link] I suppose I'll have to practice.

Here's something else I never actively thought about until just now, re-reading what I wrote about the "'temperatures that WOULD be comfortable, were it not so cloyingly humid' pile" -- for most of my adult life, living in either southern New England or various parts of coastal or semi-coastal Virginia, I basically needed three distinct wardrobes to get me through a year: clothes to wear during the "it's too hot," "it's too cold" and "it's just right" seasons. But here in Georgia, I need at least six different wardrobes: clothes to wear when "It's way too hot and also, FUCK this fucking humidity,", "it would be 'just right' except the humidity makes it too warm," "it would be 'just right' except the humidity makes it too chilly," "it's too cold," "it's too cold and the humidity makes it even worse," and finally -- a period lasting up to three weeks out of a year, if I'm really really lucky -- "it's just right."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Dec 2018, 15:13

I just realized something: Nicole's "How to wear a D-ring belt" looks pretty simple, so if ever I get such a belt I now know what to do with it -- but the last part of the instructions says to tuck any excess belt material into the nearest belt-loop of your pants, to avoid the fabric hanging down and looking sloppy. But regarding the rings on that shirt's sleeves -- there is no belt loop or any other device for holding any excess fabric in place after you loop the inner-sleeve strip through the rings!

Not that it is likely to matter, since if the temperature and humidity are both in the range for me to wear that shirt, I'm unlikely to want short sleeves anyway. Still, though, it strikes me as being sloppy design.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Dec 2018, 15:16

Jennifer wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 15:13
I just realized something: Nicole's "How to wear a D-ring belt" looks pretty simple, so if ever I get such a belt I now know what to do with it -- but the last part of the instructions says to tuck any excess belt material into the nearest belt-loop of your pants, to avoid the fabric hanging down and looking sloppy. But regarding the rings on that shirt's sleeves -- there is no belt loop or any other device for holding any excess fabric in place after you loop the inner-sleeve strip through the rings!

Not that it is likely to matter, since if the temperature and humidity are both in the range for me to wear that shirt, I'm unlikely to want short sleeves anyway. Still, though, it strikes me as being sloppy design.
Yeah. I mean it's a casual design for sure. I guess theoretically the hanging bit on your sleeve would be pointing downward in most normal positions, whereas the one on your belt would be facing sideways and therefore would have more need of being tucked somewhere.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Dec 2018, 02:48

The Dakar Rally has been held in South America for the past ten years.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR