You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Dangerman

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Dangerman » 11 Jul 2018, 11:49

I believe that's called the Kennedy Roll, and I use it all the time to dress down a dress shirt. I have a couple Calvin Klein checked shirts with sleeve tabs like that, I like them. It reminds me of tying back my sleeves before archery or a kenjutsu form.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Jul 2018, 12:51

Jadagul wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 15:20
Jennifer wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 15:13
Turns out I actually own three such shirts with buttons high on the sleeves; when I dyed my bad-color shirts last night, turns out one of the formerly ugly-green, now attractive-blue, shirts has it as well. And -- this is not something I "learned" so much as "figured out" -- it looks MUCH better if you fold/roll and button the sleeves BEFORE you put the shirt on. Amazing!

(That said: IMO it would work better if each such sleeve had two buttons and two internal cloth-strips, one on top of the arm and one on the bottom.)
If the sleeves are rolled well and everything works, the one strap is really all you need. But you're right that when things get loose, there's a tendency of the other side of the sleeve to kind of asymmetrically unroll itself.

There are basically two ways to roll up sleeves. One is to actually roll them up, which is what everyone defaults to. This has two problems. One is that it's not really all that internally stable. The other is that the more you roll, the tighter the sleeves become; I can't roll up most of my shirts because they don't really fit over my biceps properly then.

The other way is to do a sort of double fold. The first fold puts your cuffs up around mid-bicep; the second fold takes the seam of that first fold, puts it just below the cuff, and brings that bottom of the sleeve to over your elbow. This looks a bit nicer than rolling, in my opinion; is pretty stable; and doesn't make things quite so tight. This may or may not be compatible with your strap, though, depending on the dimensions of the sleeve and your arm.

(Googling for a diagram led to a suggestion that you can also tuck the second fold into the first. This will probably look a bit neater if you do it right, but I like the calculated slight-sloppy of not tucking).
I have discovered -- at least regarding shirts that actually fit, as opposed to the too-big ones where the sleeves' wrist-cuffs still hang loosely even when buttoned-- that rolling up sleeves the traditional way, sans buttons, seems actually to work better than using the button to hold it in place. Maybe that will change when the shirts in question get older, and the sleeve fabric thus gets more fatigued?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 11 Jul 2018, 16:08

John Quincy Adams served in the US House for 15 years after being President. The only other ex-president to get similarly elected (although Senate, not House) was Andrew Johnson, but he only served for 6 months before dying.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Jul 2018, 16:36

Andrew wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 16:08
John Quincy Adams served in the US House for 15 years after being President. The only other ex-president to get similarly elected (although Senate, not House) was Andrew Johnson, but he only served for 6 months before dying.
This is in contrast to the current incumbent, who may serve in the Big House after being President.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Jul 2018, 15:57

Dangerman wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:49
I believe that's called the Kennedy Roll, and I use it all the time to dress down a dress shirt. I have a couple Calvin Klein checked shirts with sleeve tabs like that, I like them. It reminds me of tying back my sleeves before archery or a kenjutsu form.
I used to do that with my sleeves, but afterwards my shirts were shot.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Jul 2018, 10:21

TIL - The way I've been rolling up my sleeves my entire life is called the Kennedy Roll.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 18 Jul 2018, 12:09

There's a lot of multi-colored corn, but one of the most striking is called Glass Gem:

And you can even buy the seeds yourself!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jul 2018, 12:18

JD wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 12:09
There's a lot of multi-colored corn, but one of the most striking is called Glass Gem:

And you can even buy the seeds yourself!
Do I eat it or frame it?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 19 Jul 2018, 06:27

You subsidize it.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Jul 2018, 06:43

Put it in your gas tank?

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jul 2018, 09:48

Dry it out and use it to take up valuable real estate on the harvest feast table.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2018, 14:24

In the late 1980s, people living in the forests around the India/Bangladesh border were having problems with tiger attacks, until everybody was issued plastic face masks to wear on the backs of their heads. That made the tiger-attack rate drop, because the tigers thought people were looking at them, and thus the tigers couldn't sneak up on their intended prey.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jul 2018, 16:44

Jennifer wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:24
In the late 1980s, people living in the forests around the India/Bangladesh border were having problems with tiger attacks, until everybody was issued plastic face masks to wear on the backs of their heads. That made the tiger-attack rate drop, because the tigers thought people were looking at them, and thus the tigers couldn't sneak up on their intended prey.
Then the tigers discovered Calvinball....

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Jul 2018, 23:41

Jennifer wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:24
Yeah, predators like to get you in the back:

(Also, Ellie, ignore the title. There's sturdy glass in the way.)

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 23 Jul 2018, 12:09

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Jul 2018, 12:23

JD wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:09
Russia has a flat income tax of 13%.
Unless you are a successful business without political connections.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 12:25

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:23
JD wrote:
Then the tax is an arm and a leg.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Jul 2018, 12:37

thoreau wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:25
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:23
JD wrote:
Then the tax is an arm and a leg.
Well, they actually just shut it down for tax "irregularities" or whatever made up problem and force you to sell it to a political insider at fire sale prices. This isn't like tiny retail businesses, but if it's got twenty million dollars in revenue , watch out.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jul 2018, 19:25

Canadian Handshake

No comment.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Jul 2018, 23:00

Aresen wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 19:25
Canadian Handshake

No comment.
I want to say that's a joke from How I Met Your Mother.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jul 2018, 01:40

Kolohe wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 23:00
Aresen wrote:
Canadian Handshake

No comment.
I didn't know there were any jokes from HIMYM.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 Jul 2018, 13:44

Warren wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 01:40
Kolohe wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 23:00
Aresen wrote:
Canadian Handshake

No comment.
I didn't know there were any jokes from HIMYM.
Josh Radnor's career?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jul 2018, 15:37

In Pixar's movie "Inside Out" (a little girl's emotions are all individual characters living inside her head), "Disgust" takes over when the little girl's dad tries feeding her broccoli. But in many other countries, including Japan, broccoli does not have the same grossness factor it does here, so in that scene, the girl's father tries feeding her pieces of green bell pepper instead.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2018, 16:09

Jennifer wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 15:37
In Pixar's movie "Inside Out" (a little girl's emotions are all individual characters living inside her head), "Disgust" takes over when the little girl's dad tries feeding her broccoli. But in many other countries, including Japan, broccoli does not have the same grossness factor it does here, so in that scene, the girl's father tries feeding her pieces of green bell pepper instead.
It was a lot longer into adulthood that green bell pepper stopped being gross to eat than it was for broccoli.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jul 2018, 16:17

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 16:09
Jennifer wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 15:37
It was a lot longer into adulthood that green bell pepper stopped being gross to eat than it was for broccoli.
Even as a picky-eater little kid, I actually always liked broccoli (at least the dark green "leafy" part on top; the pale green stalks remain gross to this day). But bell peppers remain only an ingredient, not a food of its own.