You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Mo » 04 Oct 2017, 21:11

Jennifer wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 19:26
JasonL wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 17:42
There are other metrics people look at. A critique about those kind of stories is the unemployment rate is designed to target a specific feature of the economy and using it as a proxy for "hard times" is a failure of intuition as much as a failure of the metric.
Does the same criticism apply to those who look at the unemployment rate and use it as a proxy for "good times" (as evidenced by the low unemployment rate)?
I hate this fucking critique. You compare U-3 to U-3 historically. If you want to include underemployed and discouraged workers, look at U-6*. It exists and it's tracked historically. The classic move is partisans comparing U-6 to U-3 to say things are bad because look. U-3 is popular for the same reason as the Dow, you can compare over many many decades.

* U-6 pre recession low was at 8.0%, recent low was 8.4%
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 05 Oct 2017, 20:12

The Nemeth Parasol was a real, actually working plane:

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Oct 2017, 00:58

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Oct 2017, 08:41

I thought that was going to be a link to a Trump tweet.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 10:37

My favorite part of the story is:
The women’s group, on which we were now relying, wasn’t really any more encouraging. One of them said “It looks and tastes like Kaolin & Morphine”, which was a popular medicine for diarrhea (it’s still around).
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

JD

Post by JD » 11 Oct 2017, 12:03

The Geneva drive is a mechanical way of translating continuous rotary motion into intermittent rotary motion. It's one of those things that seems kind of obvious once you look at it, but must have taken a leap of imagination to design for the first time.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Oct 2017, 12:09

Cool. And I agree. Obvious in retrospect, like many things. Would be difficult to originate the concept.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Oct 2017, 13:22

JD wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:03
The Geneva drive is a mechanical way of translating continuous rotary motion into intermittent rotary motion. It's one of those things that seems kind of obvious once you look at it, but must have taken a leap of imagination to design for the first time.

You don't see them much, they tend to wear out quickly.

ETA
From Wikipedia:
The figure shows the motions curves for an external four-slots Geneva drive, in arbitrary units. There is a discontinuity in the acceleration when the drive pin enters and leaves the slot. This generates an "infinite" peak of jerk (Dirac peak), and therefore vibrations.

Motion curves for one turn of the drive wheel, from top to bottom: angular position θ, angular velocity ω, angular acceleration α and angular jerk ja.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Oct 2017, 20:07

JD wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:03

They are cool. One of the first full sized pieces milled for the "10,000 year clock" were geneva wheels for the chime mechanism:
http://longnow.org/clock/chimes/
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Oct 2017, 08:06

Titan is larger than Mercury. As is Ganymede.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 18 Oct 2017, 20:10

This shape not only has a name, the squircle, but there is a specific mathematical formula for it.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 18 Oct 2017, 20:47

And you can use it to do squigonometry!

Jake

Post by Jake » 18 Oct 2017, 23:36

Jadagul wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 20:47
And you can use it to do squigonometry!
Did someone say "squig"?

"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

JD

Post by JD » 21 Oct 2017, 00:09

There is a mythological beast called the lampago, with the body of a leopard (or similar big cat) and the head of a man. It seems to have little existence outside of heraldry, as in the arms of the Radford family.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 21 Oct 2017, 18:09

Caught part of a Johnny Carson re-run last night in which the topic of conversation was Carter's Chief of Staff Hamilton Jordan, which led me to discover that the republic survived the white house not having a chief of staff for the first couple of years of Carter's presidency. As well as prior to 1946. However did we manage.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 Oct 2017, 18:17

Doubtful that the Trump administration would permit the country's survival without a chief of staff.

JD

Post by JD » 26 Oct 2017, 17:59

As Turkish is an agglutinative language, it's hard to say what the "longest word" in it is, since it is possible at least in theory to add affixes endlessly, but the longest word ever used in a Turkish text was Muvaffakiyetsizleştiricileştiriveremeyebileceklerimizdenmişsinizcesine, which means roughly "As though you happen to have been from among those whom we will not be able to easily make a maker of unsuccessful ones".

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Oct 2017, 18:26

There's got to be a better way to say that. /MichaelBluth

JD

Post by JD » 27 Oct 2017, 10:15

As a funny aside, the word is pretty artificial and tortured even for native Turkish speakers, who have a lot of trouble saying it.

JD

Post by JD » 01 Nov 2017, 16:39

I was having my blood pressure taken the other day, with the usual inflatable arm-cuff thing, and it occurred to me to ask the nurse, "How do you take someone's blood pressure if they have no arms?" The answer is: those cuffs can be put around the thigh, too.

And in case you're wondering the next obvious question, unfortunately the nurse did not know how you take the blood pressure of somebody with no arms or legs.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Nov 2017, 16:45

Really fat people are encouraged to ask for thigh cuffs to be used on their arms, for a more accurate reading.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Nov 2017, 17:24

JD wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 17:59
As Turkish is an agglutinative language, it's hard to say what the "longest word" in it is, since it is possible at least in theory to add affixes endlessly, but the longest word ever used in a Turkish text was Muvaffakiyetsizleştiricileştiriveremeyebileceklerimizdenmişsinizcesine, which means roughly "As though you happen to have been from among those whom we will not be able to easily make a maker of unsuccessful ones".
I read that Eskimo has a similar construction (hence the legendary "hundreds of different words for snow"); I gather that in such languages, trying to figure out "the longest word" is like trying to figure out "the longest phrase" in English. We haven't many words for snow, but limitless phrases you can construct to describe it: old snow, new snow, clean snow, dirty snow, nasty yellow snow drilled full of holes from visiting dogs .... that last phrase there has probably never before been uttered or typed in English exactly that way, before I did so just now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jake

Post by Jake » 02 Nov 2017, 17:31

Jennifer wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 17:24
We haven't many words for snow, but limitless phrases you can construct to describe it: old snow, new snow, clean snow, dirty snow, nasty yellow snow drilled full of holes from visiting dogs .... that last phrase there has probably never before been uttered or typed in English exactly that way, before I did so just now.
Au contraire, mon frerette!*
And lo, did his gaze then fall upon nasty yellow snow drilled full of holes from visiting dogs, and he was sore wroth.

-- Proverbs 30:6, King James Bible, 1611 CE
* I don't know any French.
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 17:49

Don't forget Frank Zappa's classic medley "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow/Nanook Rubs It"

And she said, with a tear in her eye
Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow
Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow

That got me just about as evil as an eskimo boy can be. so I bent down
And I reached down, and I scooped down and I gathered up a generous
Mitten-ful of the deadly yellow snow

The deadly yellow snow, from right there where the huskies go!

Whereupon I proceeded to take that mittenful of the deadly yellow snow
Crystals and rub it all into his beady little eyes with a vigorous
Circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
To take the place of the mudshark in your mythology
Here it goes,the circular motion, now rub it!

(Here fido)

And then
In a fit of anger
I pounced

And I pounced again

Great googly moogly!

I jumped up and down on the chest of the him

I injured
The fur trapper

Well he was very upset, as you can understand
And rightly so, because the
Deadly yellow snow crystals had
Deprived him of his
Sight

JD

Post by JD » 02 Nov 2017, 18:19

I am reminded of my new favorite Bible verse, Isiah 56:12:
"Come," they say, "let's get some wine and have a party. Let's all get drunk. Then tomorrow we'll do it again and have an even bigger party!"