what's so funny about that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ayn_Randian

Re: what's so funny about that?

Post by Ayn_Randian » 11 Jul 2011, 16:46

I just want to note that, for a Kevin Smith fan, you sure do throw a lot of stones, tio.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Jul 2011, 16:50

I've been listening to a lot of stories on The Moth podcasts (off-topic: I freakin' love that shit!), and whatever that thing is that makes people hilarious live storytellers, Kevin Smith has it in spades. The parts from An Evening With Kevin Smith where he tells about getting asked to write the Superman movie, and getting asked to work on a movie with Prince, are some of the funniest and most enjoyable entertainment I've ever had the pleasure to watch.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Jul 2011, 17:10

Ellie: there are 3 more Kevin Smith live q&a shows, all available on netflix and worth the time to watch.

AR, I don't live in a glass house, so I feel comfortable pitching granite.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 11 Jul 2011, 17:11

I don't pay much attention to standup, for whatever reason. Maybe I don't get the right TV stations. I do recall thinking that I laughed more at comics in local comedy clubs than ones I saw on TV, whether that's cause of the effect of being there or something other than talent contributing to stardom, I wouldn't try to say.

That aside, the two guys I most think of as representing comic talent for me in recent years, though probably past their primes now, are Rowan Atkinson and Pee Wee Herman.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Jul 2011, 17:18

+1 The Moth love.

Not Funny At All, but Anthony Griffith's tale of trying to make it big in comedy in the midst of personal tragedy is gut punchy amazing.

Also a big fan of Mike Birbiglia's work on that show. He does funny/poignant very well.

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 11 Jul 2011, 17:19

It should be noted that anything I have to say about comedy should taken cum grano salis as I find myself growing increasingly humorless.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Jul 2011, 19:55

I just want to note that, for a Kevin Smith fan, you sure do throw a lot of stones, tio.
smith is an amusing monologuist who just happened to fool himself into making atrociously bad movies. repeatedly.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Jul 2011, 01:04

Ayn_Randian wrote:It should be noted that anything I have to say about comedy should taken cum grano salis as I find myself growing increasingly humorless.
I used up my salt lick and haven't made it to the feed store yet.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jul 2011, 09:19

dhex wrote:
smith is an amusing monologuist who just happened to fool himself into making atrociously bad movies. repeatedly.
Piffle. Clerks and Dogma were both excellent. Mall Rats and Chasing Amy were both good renters.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 12 Jul 2011, 10:41

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jul 2011, 11:22

dogma is one of the worst movies ever made.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jul 2011, 14:42

dhex wrote:dogma is one of the worst movies ever made.
This, of course, depends on how long the list is. By definition, any Pauly Shore movie and any M. Night Shyamalan after Unbreakable is worse. Dogma had its amusing moments, albeit not enough to justify the rest of the movie; but, say what you will, Buddy Christ was almost worth the price of admission.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jul 2011, 15:23

i'd rather watch biodome.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Jul 2011, 02:12

"I'm sorry I dragged you away from what ever gay serial killers who ride horses and like to play golf touchy feely picture you were gonna [watch] this week."

OK, wrong movie, but yeah.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 13 Jul 2011, 09:27

Heywood Banks writes some funny songs.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 13 Jul 2011, 13:03

pistoffnick,

Thanks for the excuse:

mediageek

Post by mediageek » 17 Jul 2011, 17:01

I've recently been binging on Bill Hicks via Netflix, and generally find he makes me laugh, even if some of his shtick was idiotic*.

Tosh.0 is great.

Demetri Martin makes me laugh in the same way that Napoleon Dynamite made me laugh.

I'll cop to liking some of Dane Cook's early stuff. Yeah. I know.

Russel Brand should be pushed off of the roof of every building higher than ten stories.

Not Funny At All, but Anthony Griffith's tale of trying to make it big in comedy in the midst of personal tragedy is gut punchy amazing.
Is that the guy who's daughter was dying from some horrible disease, and he still went out and did his comedy act? If so, I heard him on This American Life, and it was one of the most heart wrenching and intense things I've ever listened to.

*I'm mostly referring to his bit where he reveals himself to be a JFK assassination conspiracy dork.
Palin/Camacho 2012

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 17 Jul 2011, 22:04

This. Dogma was TERRIBLE. Chasing Amy was also fairly awful.

I'm still a fan of Clerks though.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Jul 2011, 11:40

MG: yeah, that TAL piece was a replay from The Moth live show where he told that story. It's unbelievably honest. He HAS to be funny because he needs to pay the bills. It's just ... ugh.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Feb 2018, 23:26

We've been bingeing Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix and it is fantastic. Really genuinely funny, with very interesting observations about the comedy business and life in general.

Steve Harvey is not just hilarious, but surprisingly savage!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Feb 2018, 10:44

Although my favorite scene so far is when Jerry Seinfeld and Joel Hodgson are talking about ketchup bottles. I was cry-laughing by the end.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Feb 2018, 13:37

I like CICGC when they have a genuine funny/real moment in between the tedious shots of coffee. Sometimes you can tell that, like in a talk show, Jerry sets up bits of stand up routine for the guest, which grates on me. It's been a while but I recall liking the David Letterman one. Haven't seen it in a few years. Like the cars though.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Feb 2018, 13:48

With rare exceptions, Seinfeld spend three or more hours with each guest, then edits the tape down to twenty minutes or so. I doubt he's setting his guests up to do couch jokes so much as that's what comics do; that is, say what they think is funny (including recycling old lines). I agree the coffee segues are a bit tedious, but because the scenes are not continuous or maybe even edited in chronological order, there has to be some segue device. *shrug*