what's so funny about that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

what's so funny about that?

Post by the innominate one » 08 Jul 2011, 14:15

Before it completely takes over the "what are you watching" thread, use this here thread to discuss fave comedians, least fave comedians, preferred comic forms and subjects, etc.

Myself, I rather like Bill Hicks.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

JasonL

Re: what's so funny about that?

Post by JasonL » 08 Jul 2011, 14:20

I keep hearing how great Louis CK is, how all the other comedians think he's in a class by himself. I kind of don't see it?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jul 2011, 14:23

JasonL wrote:I keep hearing how great Louis CK is, how all the other comedians think he's in a class by himself. I kind of don't see it?
He can be pretty funny. I watched the first two episodes of his show and they rather shitty and predictable/cliche though.

I enjoy a bit of Neil Hamburger from time to time.

I thought that Anthony Jeselnik's album was pretty good. His twitter feed is worth following.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jul 2011, 14:25

Least fave comedian: Woody Allen, who has just one schtick: Jewish-momma's boy angst. It was funny when I first saw it 40 years ago, now it is just repetative and boring.

Barbara Striesand is also pretty repetitive, but she sometimes manages to put a fresh spin on her routine, as in Meet the Fockers.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Jul 2011, 14:31

Chris Rock is the best there is, and speaks more Truth then the collective Ivy League Philosophy departments.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Jul 2011, 14:33

We've been through a bad period in standup. The wars, Bushhate, crappy economy, etc. have kind of ruined a generation of comics. Everyone who tries to be topical winds up in that terrible place of Takes Self Too Seriously. I'd use someone like Louis Black as Example A.

Unrelated, Grantland had a collection of staff favorite YouTube content, and someone pulled out this kind of amazing Pryor interview. It isn't funny really, it's Pryor in a bad place. NSFW.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood ... /id/30258/ youtube-hall-of-fame-high-times-with-richard-pryor-final-pyramid-with-dick-clark-and-an-art-lesson

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Jul 2011, 15:26

Don't forget the big comedy battle between Joe Rogan and Carlos Mencia.

No matter who wins, we lose.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Jul 2011, 15:36

Doesn't Mencia have an unfair advantage in that he rips off other comedians' work?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Jul 2011, 15:46

I'm not gonna lie, I loved Mind of Mencia.

I have heard so little Lewis Black that I should probably not be allowed to have an opinion, but Christ almighty I hate Lewis Black. He makes me want to punch something and yet simultaneously far too exhausted to do so.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Jul 2011, 15:50

Ellie wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I loved Mind of Mencia.
I have heard so little Lewis Black that I should probably not be allowed to have an opinion, but Christ almighty I hate Lewis Black. He makes me want to punch something and yet simultaneously far too exhausted to do so.
You are right. You should not be allowed to have an opinion!

Seriously, Black is a one trick pony, sort of like Carlin in his later days. I like Black but holy fuck can the man waffle.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jul 2011, 16:24

I have a friend who loves Black. Never really saw it myself - the guy just rants, he doesn't really have laugh lines, IMO.

As for me, Jo Koy or Daniel Tosh.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 08 Jul 2011, 16:36

Tosh's show has been horrific.

Mencia's Mind of Mencia wasn't bad, except for the whole stealing part. OTOH, he at least has delivery. But his schtick gets kind of tired, despite my like of his libertarian leanings.

Black can be funny, if you like ranty style humor, which I do.

Basically, though, I've found that little comedy stays funny after the novelty wears off. It needs liebensraum.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2011, 16:36

I use to like Lewis Black quite a bit, back when he had a Daily Show segment. And I thought his Black on Broadway special was hilarious. But nothing since then.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jul 2011, 16:42

I loved Christopher Titus 'Love is Evol' show, and was a bit disappointed in his recent (last week) Neverlution show. He went a lot more political-ish, but it wasn't completely one-sided. But the Love is Evol show, I was literally rofl for about the last 15 minutes.

I'm also one of those folks who actually finds Drew Carey's Standup to be hilarious. Mostly it's from his 'quiet libertarian' days, before he was more politically active, but has a lot of funny themes and lines. And yeah, I laugh when he laughs at his own jokes.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2011, 16:56

I'm one of those folks who never found Drew Cary very funny (haven't seen him do stand-up, but the improv shows are eye-gouging), but came to love him for his politics. Pretty much the opposite of every other entertainer I like.

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jul 2011, 17:00

Oh, I also remembered Tim Minchin, an Australian who writes amazing funny songs and does other standup setups. He's very atheist and pretty left wing, but some of his songs also have just a beautiful introspection and meaning. And other ones sound like they do, but are just big jokes. He's been on Conan O'Brien a couple times, but doesn't have much exposure in the US.

Here's a funny song: Inflatable You

And this may be the most touching one: Not Perfect
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jul 2011, 17:02

Man I hate me some Tim Minchin.

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jul 2011, 17:09

Warren wrote:I'm one of those folks who never found Drew Cary very funny (haven't seen him do stand-up, but the improv shows are eye-gouging), but came to love him for his politics. Pretty much the opposite of every other entertainer I like.
His standup was quite a bit more focused on him, and kinda gets obliquely at libertarian stuff. The improv shows aged rapidly, when you realize that the same folks do the same themes over and over, and really it wasn't much Drew Carey.

There isn't any of his standup on YouTube, surprisingly, but maybe not, since he's got the more family friendly image to uphold now. I got some clips and an audio book of 'Dirty Jokes and Beer' read by him off Napster back when it was fighting The Man. ;)

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Jul 2011, 17:18

Sandy wrote:Basically, though, I've found that little comedy stays funny after the novelty wears off. It needs liebensraum.
Wait, so Hitler's schtick was all just one big standup gag that nobody caught?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 08 Jul 2011, 17:30

Kwix wrote:
Sandy wrote:Basically, though, I've found that little comedy stays funny after the novelty wears off. It needs liebensraum.
Wait, so Hitler's schtick was all just one big standup gag that nobody caught?
Yeah, and people say Lenny Bruce was a misunderstood genius...

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Jul 2011, 17:45

JasonL wrote:I keep hearing how great Louis CK is, how all the other comedians think he's in a class by himself. I kind of don't see it?
I like some of his bits. The bit about his kids being assholes is good, as is his bit about how your ankle gets shitty.

It's not earthshattering, though.

I still enjoy Mr. Izzard, personally. His contrast of mincing Englishness, banality, and grandiose evil resonates with me. Also, sometimes he gets into a sort of one-man Laurel and Hardy mode that works.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jul 2011, 17:47

Paul Kaye can be pretty funny.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Jul 2011, 17:48

I have a friend who love love loves Eddie Izzard. I like seeing him in movies, but his stand-up is a sure-fire cure for insomnia.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2011, 19:07

Hugh Akston wrote:I have a friend who love love loves Eddie Izzard. I like seeing him in movies, but his stand-up is a sure-fire cure for insomnia.
Flip it

Jake

Post by Jake » 08 Jul 2011, 19:39

I'll note that Shannon and I are huge Eddie Izzard fans. Well, I'm huge. She's petite. But we both laugh a lot at his comedy.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO