Phat Apps

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: Phat Apps

Post by the innominate one » 31 Jul 2011, 03:24

Did you get upgraded to a.new.version of Android? I went from froyo to gingerbread about a month ago. Saw improvements in battery life and screwing up of text entry.

edit to add: fucking up text entry apparently includes intermittent interpretation of space bar as a period.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Aug 2011, 20:36

the innominate one wrote:Did you get upgraded to a.new.version of Android? I went from froyo to gingerbread about a month ago. Saw improvements in battery life and screwing up of text entry.

edit to add: fucking up text entry apparently includes intermittent interpretation of space bar as a period.
Yup, it was an update to Gingerbread. I mostly see improvements, near as I can tell. The one thing that's a bit weird is that it does not just predictive word suggestion for the word you're on, but appears to do predictive grammatical prediction of typical words that might follow it.

The text entry handling for big text boxes like this here comment post thing was kind of annoying for anything over three sentences, and is now only annoying for anything over two paragraphs, so there's that. The.thing.with.the.periods hits me too. Also somtimes I accidentally get a 'v' in between twovwords.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Aug 2011, 13:21

My buddy's iPhone mis-corrected words to "Hmong" and "GOP" instead of "having" and "good" today. Are they using a dictionary from 1977 written by Pat Buchanan?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 09 Aug 2011, 17:24

Anybody have any experience with, or interest in trying, encrypted voice communications software like Kryptos or RedPhone?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Aug 2011, 02:11

So the problem with streaming versions of broadcast radio stations is that they are a) Tethered to your computer, and B) notably absent some content you want to hear. Well I downloaded the IHeartRadio app mostly to listen to whatever news station I could get while I drive, but the range of available stations is pretty impressive. I easily found my two favorite stations from back home: KBCO and KOA. I called up KOA expecting to hear some lame weekend filler talk show, but lo and behold, it was the Broncos/Bills game. I wish I would have discovered this app earlier in the season so I could have listened to the Rockies on the radio as Galt intended.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Aug 2011, 02:02

SwiftKey X is pretty awesome so far.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Aug 2011, 10:51

Regarding tablet video content:

1) I don't want a subscription. What is the best way to get movies and tv series on an adhoc basis for an ipad2? Is it really itunes? I just grabbed Season 1 of Justified on iTunes, but it was pricy. Amazon's service isn't supported on ipad.

2) Is an HD download worth it or can you just not tell when viewing on ipad sized screens?

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Aug 2011, 08:00

1) Crackle is good for streaming random shows. The selection changes constantly and they don't always have full seasons. There's also Amazon streaming, which is free if you have Amazon Prime. Even regular Amazon is a better deal, usually, than iTunes.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Aug 2011, 09:49

Mo wrote:1) Crackle is good for streaming random shows. The selection changes constantly and they don't always have full seasons. There's also Amazon streaming, which is free if you have Amazon Prime. Even regular Amazon is a better deal, usually, than iTunes.
I thought items in Amazon regular streaming wouldn't play on ipad. That's exactly what I want - the regular Amazon streaming type service where I can occasionally grab something without the full commitment of a monthly fee. If regular Amazon streaming does work, I paid a premium for no purpose.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Aug 2011, 10:01

JasonL wrote:I thought items in Amazon regular streaming wouldn't play on ipad. That's exactly what I want - the regular Amazon streaming type service where I can occasionally grab something without the full commitment of a monthly fee. If regular Amazon streaming does work, I paid a premium for no purpose.
Ack, you're right. When I looked at Amazon iPad, it listed videos available for download in iPad format and also said "available to stream". However, that availability is not yet on the iPad.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Sep 2011, 00:49

Just downloaded Adobe Photoshop Express for Android. Haven't tried it out yet, but will report when I do so. Others may want to give it a spin. Free!
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Sep 2011, 00:54

Got an iPad2 (16GB Wifi-only) over the weekend, it's lots of fun, way better for games than my cheap LG Optimus. Flight Control HD is really good.

For non-game apps, Zite is a nice aggregator for newsy things.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Sep 2011, 15:10

Today's Amazon Free Android App of the Day is Cut The Rope.

It's a pretty nifty game. One of the better concepts I've played.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Dec 2011, 14:53

10 cent app promotion at android. Includes Minecraft and (my keyboard of choice) Swiftkey X.

https://market.android.com/details?id=a ... DYzMDczIl0.

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 06 Dec 2011, 15:06

dbcooper wrote:10 cent app promotion at android. Includes Minecraft and (my keyboard of choice) Swiftkey X.

https://market.android.com/details?id=a ... DYzMDczIl0.
Minecraft?! How in the world could a phone handle that?
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 12:06

Just got the iPhone 4s up and running. I may be kind of giddy because it's my first smartphone (crippled RIMjob for work notwithstanding), but it's kind of bad ass. I'm obsessed with Siri's interface with wolfram alpha. I got her to do present and future value calculations, current value of 1940 dollar amounts, 1940 value of current dollar amounts, comparison countries by GDP etc., provide total nutritional information on 3 pieces of chicken and 2 slices of cheese and other odd quantities, simple derivatives, provide stock price history, report on p/e ratios ... I mean, that's pretty cool. I just talked and got those answers fed correctly to the device in my hand. If you spend some time on WA's site to get a flavor for how it thinks about inputs, this is a really powerful feature.

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Dec 2011, 12:23

any android essentials to recommend? i'm ok with most of the stock google stuff in ics thus far. light flow (changes notification color based upon incoming message type) is neat.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2011, 14:29

dhex wrote:any android essentials to recommend? i'm ok with most of the stock google stuff in ics thus far. light flow (changes notification color based upon incoming message type) is neat.
I like "Meraki Wifi Stumbler" and "Wifi Analyzer" for investigating wifi signals. "My Tracks" is kind of cool if you do any hiking or random wandering and want to be able to trace your steps. "K-9 Mail" handles multiple accounts better than the stock email program, IMO. "Barcode Scanner" is useful for, well, you guess. "ASTRO" is a decent file manager.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2011, 14:32

Based on what I use most so far, it's Sudoku and Out of Milk (shopping list app). :)

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 14:33

Don't remember if this has been asked, but now I have a frame of reference. My goal is to use zero sms texts. Is there a good cross platform messenger people like / use? I've got iMessage for other iphones, but nothing but texting to talk with android phones.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Dec 2011, 14:36

JasonL wrote:Don't remember if this has been asked, but now I have a frame of reference. My goal is to use zero sms texts. Is there a good cross platform messenger people like / use? I've got iMessage for other iphones, but nothing but texting to talk with android phones.
There's PingChat NKA Touch

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 19 Dec 2011, 14:37

JD wrote:"Barcode Scanner" is useful for, well, you guess. "ASTRO" is a decent file manager.
Does this do something more than Googles does? I mean Goggles is a multitasker that will read barcodes, squarecodes, do translation, identify landmarks, etc.

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2011, 15:03

I've never heard of a Google branded barcode scanner. I use "Barcode Scanner" as well, by Zxing Team, which I'm betting is the same one as JD.

JD

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2011, 15:16

GinSlinger wrote:
JD wrote:"Barcode Scanner" is useful for, well, you guess. "ASTRO" is a decent file manager.
Does this do something more than Googles does? I mean Goggles is a multitasker that will read barcodes, squarecodes, do translation, identify landmarks, etc.
I guess it does less than Goggles does, but sometimes that's kind of the selling point, you know? Precisely because it does less, it's a bit easier to use.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 15:48

I noted in the other thread I can't find that over protecting of the smartphone is a wacky tendency. With that in mind, do people use bumpers or cases at all? How do you carry yours? Front pocket?

I've always got keys or bullets or whole firearms or something in my pockets. The blackberry for work has the little leather sleeve and the whole thing just goes in the pocket and I don't worry about it, but I'm afeared of scratchiness. I like the jacket pocket when I'm going sportcoat, but that's not always an option.