Phat Apps

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8969
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Phat Apps

Post by nicole » 14 Aug 2015, 12:40

Hugh Akston wrote:Any recommendations for a to-do app for iOS? Ideal features are multiple lists and push reminders. Timers are a bonus. Syncing and cloud bullshit doesn't matter because I'm not going to do that, and if it keeps bugging me to do it I'm going to delete the app.

I currently use ToDo 6, which is a little more feature and context heavy than I really need. And since it has taken to nagging me about paying $5 to upgrade to ToDo 8, I might as well take the opportunity to shop around.
I like Wunderlist.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17170
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Aug 2015, 12:43

nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Any recommendations for a to-do app for iOS? Ideal features are multiple lists and push reminders. Timers are a bonus. Syncing and cloud bullshit doesn't matter because I'm not going to do that, and if it keeps bugging me to do it I'm going to delete the app.

I currently use ToDo 6, which is a little more feature and context heavy than I really need. And since it has taken to nagging me about paying $5 to upgrade to ToDo 8, I might as well take the opportunity to shop around.
I like Wunderlist.
Yeah Wunderlist kinda strikes me as the archetype of the model where they give you the app free to get you to sign up for an account. In fact I think I tried to install it once a while ago on Lifehacker's recommendation and it wouldn't let me past the intro screen because I wouldn't enter my account info.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8969
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Phat Apps

Post by nicole » 14 Aug 2015, 12:47

Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Any recommendations for a to-do app for iOS? Ideal features are multiple lists and push reminders. Timers are a bonus. Syncing and cloud bullshit doesn't matter because I'm not going to do that, and if it keeps bugging me to do it I'm going to delete the app.

I currently use ToDo 6, which is a little more feature and context heavy than I really need. And since it has taken to nagging me about paying $5 to upgrade to ToDo 8, I might as well take the opportunity to shop around.
I like Wunderlist.
Yeah Wunderlist kinda strikes me as the archetype of the model where they give you the app free to get you to sign up for an account. In fact I think I tried to install it once a while ago on Lifehacker's recommendation and it wouldn't let me past the intro screen because I wouldn't enter my account info.
Yeah I get you. If it matters at all, they're literally never emailed me.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Sandy » 14 Aug 2015, 12:48

Second Wunderlist. I use it, don't pay for it, and still sync between my home and iOS devices.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Phat Apps

Post by the innominate one » 14 Aug 2015, 12:52

Amazon Appstore has a bunch of Android apps for free again until tomorrow (the 15th).
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17170
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Aug 2015, 12:53

nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Any recommendations for a to-do app for iOS? Ideal features are multiple lists and push reminders. Timers are a bonus. Syncing and cloud bullshit doesn't matter because I'm not going to do that, and if it keeps bugging me to do it I'm going to delete the app.

I currently use ToDo 6, which is a little more feature and context heavy than I really need. And since it has taken to nagging me about paying $5 to upgrade to ToDo 8, I might as well take the opportunity to shop around.
I like Wunderlist.
Yeah Wunderlist kinda strikes me as the archetype of the model where they give you the app free to get you to sign up for an account. In fact I think I tried to install it once a while ago on Lifehacker's recommendation and it wouldn't let me past the intro screen because I wouldn't enter my account info.
Yeah I get you. If it matters at all, they're literally never emailed me.
That's not what matters. I'm not going to sign up for an account because syncing across devices is not a function I need, and I don't multiply online accounts beyond necessity. I'd rather pay $5-10 for a well-made minimalist app.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17170
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Jul 2017, 11:10

Does anyone use a white/ambient noise app? Any positive or negative recommendations?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22981
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Mo » 06 Jul 2017, 11:16

I use White Noise by TMSOFT on iOS. Lots of choices, but keep your phone plugged in as it eats battery.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15422
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Phat Apps

Post by dhex » 06 Jul 2017, 12:04

Hugh Akston wrote:Does anyone use a white/ambient noise app? Any positive or negative recommendations?
i got like two hours of the sounds of ocean waves shit going on. also had a rain app i liked but it got weird after an update and i dropped it.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12928
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Highway » 06 Jul 2017, 14:19

This isn't a bad Ocean Waves recording.

Ocean Waves by Joe Baker
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17170
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Jul 2017, 14:26

I am emphatically not looking for audio files to add to my library. I don't want to wreck my flow with some rain sounds or whatever on my way home. I switched to a dedicated podcast app for a similar reason.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8969
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Phat Apps

Post by nicole » 06 Jul 2017, 14:44

Hugh Akston wrote:I am emphatically not looking for audio files to add to my library. I don't want to wreck my flow with some rain sounds or whatever on my way home. I switched to a dedicated podcast app for a similar reason.
smdh someone isn't making full use of metadata

jk that is a fool's game (aka my game) with itunes because they will fuck you over and over again with ux changes
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17170
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Jul 2017, 14:51

nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I am emphatically not looking for audio files to add to my library. I don't want to wreck my flow with some rain sounds or whatever on my way home. I switched to a dedicated podcast app for a similar reason.
smdh someone isn't making full use of metadata

jk that is a fool's game (aka my game) with itunes because they will fuck you over and over again with ux changes
It's not even about iTunes (although that is true). Sonos DGAF about metadata when it decides to add Econtalk to a random shuffle.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15422
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Phat Apps

Post by dhex » 06 Jul 2017, 20:25

I am still a little baffled that people let a computer pick their playlist instead of carefully curating every second.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24400
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2017, 20:35

dhex wrote:I am still a little baffled that people let a computer pick their playlist instead of carefully curating every second.
You are? I really like when someone else curates the playlist, provided I respect their taste in music. If I put it together myself, I already know what's on it and that takes half the enjoyment out of listening to it. Shuffle helps but it's not as good as total surprise. Especially if I get introduced to something wonderful. That said, the list of people I trust to curate my music is very short.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18007
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Phat Apps

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2017, 20:47

dhex wrote:I am still a little baffled that people let a computer pick their playlist instead of carefully curating every second.
+1,000,000

Although, youtube has pretty good algorithms for picking similar tunes.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Sandy » 06 Jul 2017, 23:24

dhex wrote:I am still a little baffled that people let a computer pick their playlist instead of carefully curating every second.
That takes work, and when I'm not listening to just listen, I'm doing it while I'm working. Then I want a particular mood, but I don't want to have to think too hard about it. Pandora has been pretty good for that. When I have an example tune and want "stuff like this" it's pretty good at getting stuff like that. So I have one based on Weather Report's D-Flat Waltz, another based on Dea5maus, and another based on Camel. Then I have one for FB faves, which is basically mainstream prog, but I don't tend to listen to that one much.

Otherwise I'll listen to my own collection but even then I have limits on how many times it can have played a tune for me to hear it, so I don't start to hate my music.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10329
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Phat Apps

Post by JD » 07 Jul 2017, 10:31

dhex wrote:I am still a little baffled that people let a computer pick their playlist instead of carefully curating every second.
It's a good way to discover new things, at least. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it definitely mixes things up.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15422
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Phat Apps

Post by dhex » 07 Jul 2017, 11:26

i curate pretty hard. i'll play a spotify playlist now and then but for the most part they're merely ok at best.

caveat: i tend to be an entire album listener type, so it's far less work for me outside of matching moods with task (generally driving more than an hour)
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17170
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Jul 2017, 11:50

I would have to check to be sure, but I don't think I own any complete albums anymore. Maybe like one that I bought in the past six months that I haven't had time to weed yet.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22521
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Phat Apps

Post by JasonL » 07 Jul 2017, 18:03

Some of us are casuals yo.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15422
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Phat Apps

Post by dhex » 07 Jul 2017, 19:45

git gud (at album-based listening)

naw i mean everyone has their own method of jawns. i find the rando selecto thing too jarring. on the odd times i want some rando selecto, i can always tune into some college radio station. it doesn't happen often because 75% of the time lcd soundsystem is involved and fuck that guy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Sandy » 07 Jul 2017, 22:57

I used to be exclusively album-based listening. Now I'm basically never. Mostly it's because I don't really get the chance to put things on the nice sound system and just listen. It's pretty much while I'm doing other things.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12324
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Jul 2017, 04:28

I still listen to albums occasionally, but I'm often trawling for artists I might like.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17170
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Jul 2017, 14:36

I ended up going with an app called Rain Rain. Lot of good sounds on the free DL, you can mix different sounds, and importantly it will continue to play even when you're in another app. Plus they're always adding new sounds that you can buy. I get goosebumps listening to the thunderclaps on my good headphones, so it seems to be pretty good so far.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest