Phat Apps

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Phat Apps

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2011, 16:02

I got a PDAir Flip top casefor my LG Optimus. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. The magnetic closure works well, and while it approximately doubles the thickness of the phone, it seems like good enough quality leather and stitching. The top flips back and actually gives it a nice thickness for holding with my rather large hands. I wanted a case like that for full protection of the screen from keys and other assorted scratching.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 16:05

I know, everybody's all "you put it in your left front pocket with nothing else in there" and I'm all "where am I supposed to put this firearm I don't feel like wearing on my belt, or the spare magazine, for that matter?" It's like people have never gotten dressed before ...

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Dec 2011, 16:08

the venn diagram population you should be polling is "former members of NWA".
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2011, 16:11

JasonL wrote:I noted in the other thread I can't find that over protecting of the smartphone is a wacky tendency. With that in mind, do people use bumpers or cases at all? How do you carry yours? Front pocket?
Dedicated cell phone holster.* I have a snap-on hard case for the phone itself, plus a screen-protecting film. The hard case has already been wounded in battle - the phone took a dive off a desk, and the case took the brunt of the impact, snapping off one of the little locking tabs, so the case is a bit wonky now.

* Finding a decent holster has always been really hard. I just want a holster that will
-fit well
-stay put on my belt
-not stretch or loosen into worthlessness within 90 days of use.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 16:12

dhex wrote:the venn diagram population you should be polling is "former members of NWA".
That's what I thought. They kept telling me I should wear sweatpants or saggy pants and just carry the firearm mexican style without a belt. Then a got a text from P Burress saying, "Yo, don't do that." Now I'm all confused again.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 16:16

JD wrote:
JasonL wrote:I noted in the other thread I can't find that over protecting of the smartphone is a wacky tendency. With that in mind, do people use bumpers or cases at all? How do you carry yours? Front pocket?
Dedicated cell phone holster.* I have a snap-on hard case for the phone itself, plus a screen-protecting film. The hard case has already been wounded in battle - the phone took a dive off a desk, and the case took the brunt of the impact, snapping off one of the little locking tabs, so the case is a bit wonky now.

* Finding a decent holster has always been really hard. I just want a holster that will
-fit well
-stay put on my belt
-not stretch or loosen into worthlessness within 90 days of use.
I find this conceptually appealing, in the sense of coming to a point in my life where it makes more sense to put a pistol in my pocket so I can wear my cell phone on a belt holster. I worry about:

1) does this move have the douchification effect of the bluetooth headset? Does it scream "that guy" if done outside the office?

2) I've spent hundreds of dollars on holsters for other things over the years to have an appreciation for how annoying it is to find the right one. I fear a chunkiness factor.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Dec 2011, 16:29

JD wrote:Dedicated cell phone holster.
JasonL wrote:) does this move have the douchification effect of the bluetooth headset? Does it scream "that guy" if done outside the office?
Yes and yes.

I have a silicone case, similar to this one. It adds a little thickness and weight, but not much and it protects it in case of drops. I usually keep it in my left front pocket with nothing else. My keys and wallet go in the right front pocket. No screen protector as it makes interacting with the screen less smooth.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Dec 2011, 16:39

I have a plain old cell phone of the sort you can basically just make phone calls on. (Actually, you can do some other stuff like texting and rudimentary web searching, but I don't know how to do those things.) I've had it several years and I've never dropped it. What's the big deal? Wouldn't it be better to buy some cheap replacement insurance and carry the thing around au naturel?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 16:46

D.A. Ridgely wrote:I have a plain old cell phone of the sort you can basically just make phone calls on. (Actually, you can do some other stuff like texting and rudimentary web searching, but I don't know how to do those things.) I've had it several years and I've never dropped it. What's the big deal? Wouldn't it be better to buy some cheap replacement insurance and carry the thing around au naturel?
It's something about these things being big touchscreens, trim and non foldy, that gives the impression of wince inducing vulnerability. I've always hated insurance options for consumer electronics, being a rip off 99.998% of the time, but it might be an option.

JD

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2011, 16:49

Mo wrote:
JD wrote:Dedicated cell phone holster.
NERRRDS
Oh, maybe, but cell phone holsters are pretty common. If they weren't, you wouldn't see a ton of guys selling them on the street. :-) Now, a shoulder holster for your cell phone, that's nerdy.

For me, it's just the best all-around option. Front pocket? I've already got my wallet in my right and my keys and knife in my left. Back pocket? Theft-prone, and I'm afraid of breaking the thing by sitting on it. Breast pocket? Not all of my shirts have one, and the phone tends to fall out when you bend over. If/when I wear a blazer or suit jacket, I do often put the phone in an inside jacket pocket, but I'm not often wearing one.

I have occasionally stored a cellphone in my boot when necessary...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Dec 2011, 16:50

My general rule of thumb is if it's something I can replace for less than my car insurance deductible, I can eat the cost of replacing it myself. There's a reason why many of the tallest building in most city skylines are named after insurance companies. People suck as risk assessment.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2011, 16:59

At the urging of my wife, I am in Mo's camp (NERRRRRRDS!) about belt holders for cell phones. I used to have one for an old Nokia (the 51xx that everyone had), and man it was conspicuous. Any smartphone belt holder is just as conspicuous on guys with a waist (like me). So I carry mine in my front right pocket, but have the case to protect the screen against accidental keys or staples or something that makes it in there. I used to carry keys and old flip phone in right front pocket and wallet in left, but have moved the keys to the left, which I am not used to and still find inconvenient 6 months later. I would LOVE to have a *silent* belt clip for keys - because I don't want to be a janitor, even though my keyring only has a ring and two keys on it.

But maybe I'll just put the keys back in my right front pocket with the phone with the case.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Dec 2011, 17:00

Mo wrote:My general rule of thumb is if it's something I can replace for less than my car insurance deductible, I can eat the cost of replacing it myself. There's a reason why many of the tallest building in most city skylines are named after insurance companies. People suck as risk assessment.
Sure, but if they end up spending $30 or so buying unsatisfactory holsters and sleeves and screen protectors that negate the resolution of the screen, that $30 (yes, ex rectum figures) would be better spent on a policy that let you walk to the phone store with your broken phone and get a brand new one.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Dec 2011, 17:08

I've found the Gorilla Glass on the iPhone 4 to be as good as advertised. After almost year of ownership without a screen protector, there were no scratches on it. For the iPhone insurance is something like $12/month plus a $125 deductible. You're better off including it in your home owner's insurance.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 17:16

Mo wrote:I've found the Gorilla Glass on the iPhone 4 to be as good as advertised. After almost year of ownership without a screen protector, there were no scratches on it. For the iPhone insurance is something like $12/month plus a $125 deductible. You're better off including it in your home owner's insurance.
Yeah, this price point is what makes me groan. It's not that insurance makes no sense at any rate, but the rates I've seen for consumer electronics are just ugh. I don't want a big armor thing, but I might like something like the silicon jacket in case of droppy. I'll have to figure the rest out.

JD

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2011, 17:17

Mo wrote:I've found the Gorilla Glass on the iPhone 4 to be as good as advertised. After almost year of ownership without a screen protector, there were no scratches on it. For the iPhone insurance is something like $12/month plus a $125 deductible. You're better off including it in your home owner's insurance.
Christ on a crutch, I think my insurance is something like $5/mo and a $50 deductible. $12/$125 definitely does not sound worth it. I'm kind of a fan of insurance after having needed to make two claims within two years, although then again I don't think I've made a claim in the four years since or so...

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2011, 17:20

Are you insuring against a "full replacement" cost of the unattached iPhone ($650 or something) or are you reimbursed for replacement at the purchase cost of $200?

EDIT: may be two ideas at play here - extended warranty vs. insurance.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Dec 2011, 17:28

JasonL wrote:Are you insuring against a "full replacement" cost of the unattached iPhone ($650 or something) or are you reimbursed for replacement at the purchase cost of $200?
I presume they pay for the replacement cost (the $600 or so). Though I never looked at the deets because I saw $12/month and said "Fuck that noise". Hell, even at $5/month and $50 it wasn't worth it.

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Dec 2011, 20:28

folks i know rave about the otterboxes. i'm getting one for xmas this year, apparently, so i can tell you more in about two weeks.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 28 Dec 2011, 16:30

A number of people I talked to around Christmastime were big fans of the Otterbox.

In terms of apps, I discovered and rather like FlightAware. It's handy and easy to find things like whether a flight is delayed and what gate it's at, and also has plenty of stuff to keep geeks satisfied, like seeing that your flight's filed route is PARKE J6 LIT BYP5 or whatever.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Dec 2011, 17:31

Dad got me the otterbox defender. There is no better way to turn a sleek, modern, pocketable device into a paperbackish lump. I need a downgrade.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Dec 2011, 17:56

JasonL wrote:Dad got me the otterbox defender. There is no better way to turn a sleek, modern, pocketable device into a paperbackish lump. I need a downgrade.
I think mine's by Body Glove, which just strikes me as weird, although I suppose going from neoprene to whatever these things are made from isn't a great leap.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Dec 2011, 21:33

lunchstealer wrote:
JasonL wrote:Dad got me the otterbox defender. There is no better way to turn a sleek, modern, pocketable device into a paperbackish lump. I need a downgrade.
I think mine's by Body Glove, which just strikes me as weird, although I suppose going from neoprene to whatever these things are made from isn't a great leap.
We're still talking about smartphone accessories, right?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Dec 2011, 23:13

Kolohe wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
We're still talking about smartphone accessories, right?
I thought they were talking about condoms.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Dec 2011, 23:35

Otterbox is badass/uggofying.