Webcomics

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Webcomics

Post by JasonL » 20 Mar 2015, 10:59

lunchstealer wrote:
Taktix® wrote:The Burmese Python situation in the Everglades, summarized via webcomic.

I didn't realize how dire and rapidly this was happening...
Has there ever been a python owner who wasn't a creepy fucker?
I think what happens is pythons are attractive to people trying to seem ostentatiously badass or gothic or whatever. Some of those people get over it after youthful flirtation and others evolve into creepy as they are too old to still be rolling that way.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Mar 2015, 12:01

JasonL wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Taktix® wrote:The Burmese Python situation in the Everglades, summarized via webcomic.

I think what happens is pythons are attractive to people trying to seem ostentatiously badass or gothic or whatever. Some of those people get over it after youthful flirtation and others evolve into creepy as they are too old to still be rolling that way.
I don't get it. It's a fricking pet. Huge pythons, like any large animal, require huge layouts of time and money. But I just don't see how a three or four foot pet snake is "creepy". I've known a few snake owners and the experience of interacting with a snake is distinct from interacting with fur bearing critters and decidedly more intimate than say frogs or turtles.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Mar 2015, 12:09

A friend among our longstanding group of friends from college days was, um, let's say unstable and getting worse, so when she got a python as a pet we took it as a bad sign. She supposedly had to boil to thaw frozen mice to feed the thing, and her kids warned us not to eat spaghetti there because she used the same pot to boil the pasta.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 20 Mar 2015, 12:29

I have a friend/coworker who had a python, and her take on it was that snakes don't bond with you like other pets. They just bide their time until they think they're big enough to take you. She had it for years and loved it like any other pet, but one day it just started snapping at her.

I'm guessing she wasn't the first snake owner to not plan for a future with a 8-foot, 100-pound death machine as a roommate...

Also, relevant:
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 20 Mar 2015, 15:33

Taktix® wrote:I have a friend/coworker who had a python, and her take on it was that snakes don't bond with you like other pets. They just bide their time until they think they're big enough to take you. She had it for years and loved it like any other pet, but one day it just started snapping at her.

I'm guessing she wasn't the first snake owner to not plan for a future with a 8-foot, 100-pound death machine as a roommate...
Yup. I used to have a boa constrictor. They will never be your friends. They're cool, and really neat from a wonders of nature perspective, but you are, to a snake, just food it can't eat yet.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Mar 2015, 17:31

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Mar 2015, 22:20

Heh. Though now, I'm flashing back to Farm 255 in Athens, GA, which was a really freakin' good restaurant. Sadly, it seems to have gone the way of most restaurants.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Mar 2015, 00:17

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

I don't get it. It's a fricking pet. Huge pythons, like any large animal, require huge layouts of time and money. But I just don't see how a three or four foot pet snake is "creepy". I've known a few snake owners and the experience of interacting with a snake is distinct from interacting with fur bearing critters and decidedly more intimate than say frogs or turtles.
The ownership isn't creepy in and of itself. But the two are strongly correlated. And I restricted my comment to python/boa owners. Part of that is the knowledge that they won't stay three or four feet. If you want a constrictor that won't get big, consider a black rat snake. And a garter snake or a rough green snake in a terrarium is just adorable.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Mar 2015, 00:28

I would make it illegal to sell any serpents as pets except for kingsnakes and coral snakes. I would also make it illegal for pet stores to label their snake displays.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 21 Mar 2015, 01:45

One of my friends from TX has a 25 or 30 ft python in her house. It has its own room. Every few weeks she throws in a frozen rabbit or something.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Mar 2015, 09:44

Timothy wrote:One of my friends from TX has a 25 or 30 ft python in her house. It has its own room. Every few weeks she throws in a frozen rabbit or something.
Where "something" is a placeholder for a neighborhood cat or dog?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 Mar 2015, 10:06

Not all kingsnakes are coral snake mimics. The scarlet kingsnake is, but many things called kingsnakes are not. The mimicry is not so perfect that one cannot learn to differentiate between them.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Mar 2015, 10:55

A fact, highly unlikely to be useful, but oh boy, if it is:

"Red on black, friend to Jack" only applies in North America.

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Mar 2015, 12:35

Timothy wrote:One of my friends from TX has a 25 or 30 ft python in her house. It has its own room. Every few weeks she throws in a frozen rabbit or something.
holy shit that sucks every possible dick.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 Mar 2015, 12:56

Fin Fang Foom wrote:A fact, highly unlikely to be useful, but oh boy, if it is:

"Red on black, friend to Jack" only applies in North America.
True on both counts. Also, "red touch yellow, kill a fellow." People screw up the mnemonic rhyme all the time. In eastern north America, the coral snake has black on the tip of the nose. Black is the color of death, what people wear to funerals, hearses are black, and so on. The scarlet kingsnake and the scarlet snake (an unrelated species which also appears to mimic the coral) both have red on the nose.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Mar 2015, 11:53

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 28 Mar 2015, 20:25

dhex wrote:
I think it might actually belong to her dipshit ex-husband who decided that being a grownup wasn't fun anymore and went on a massive coke/cheating binge before basically disappearing after running up massive debt on their joint credit cards ... but he's not exactly the sort who came and got all his shit, so you know. But, what do you do?
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Mar 2015, 20:35

Timothy wrote:But, what do you do?
Snakeskin attire has a certain appeal in a situation like that.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 28 Mar 2015, 21:03

My boa constrictor would only eat freshly killed. I didn't want the rabbits to injure her, so I did the dirty work.

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2015, 10:23

Timothy wrote:
dhex wrote:
I think it might actually belong to her dipshit ex-husband who decided that being a grownup wasn't fun anymore and went on a massive coke/cheating binge before basically disappearing after running up massive debt on their joint credit cards ... but he's not exactly the sort who came and got all his shit, so you know. But, what do you do?
Call the county? Shoot it repeatedly and then say "ssssssssssssssssssayonara". Also axes probably? I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure remove it from the house before it kills me I my sleep would be a priority.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 29 Mar 2015, 13:39

dhex wrote:
Timothy wrote:
dhex wrote:
Call the county? Shoot it repeatedly and then say "ssssssssssssssssssayonara". Also axes probably? I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure remove it from the house before it kills me I my sleep would be a priority.
Considering she's one of my animal rescue friends, "ultra murder pet snake" is probably not on her to-do list. And it's not like the thing can operate a doorknob.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Mar 2015, 14:03

yet
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Mar 2015, 22:45

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Mar 2015, 23:56

Easily solved by using a knob instead of a lever. And by locking it from the outside.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Mar 2015, 00:59

Thank you for that.

Now I am going to have nightmares about snakes opening doors that I haven't had in decades. :lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex