Webcomics

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Webcomics

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2017, 13:13

Feel like nihilist arby's already has that worked out tho.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 12:47

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Oct 2018, 18:39

I'm thinking of doing a reread of Schlock Mercenary. I'll probably wait until this final arc winds up.

I mainly want to see if reading it all-at-once makes the last few arcs come across any better and less of the badly-paced messes that they struck me as.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Oct 2018, 19:38

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 18:39
I'm thinking of doing a reread of Schlock Mercenary. I'll probably wait until this final arc winds up.

I mainly want to see if reading it all-at-once makes the last few arcs come across any better and less of the badly-paced messes that they struck me as.
The last arc was pretty badly paced. But it was badly paced enough that he re-demarcated it in the middle of writing, so it's not like he didn't notice.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Oct 2018, 20:17

Jadagul wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 19:38
Eric the .5b wrote:

The last arc was pretty badly paced. But it was badly paced enough that he re-demarcated it in the middle of writing, so it's not like he didn't notice.
Definitely, but the plotting and pacing have been bugging me since Big, Dumb Objects.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Oct 2018, 20:46

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 20:17
Jadagul wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 19:38
Eric the .5b wrote:

Definitely, but the plotting and pacing have been bugging me since Big, Dumb Objects.
I think "A Little Immortality" was pretty well-paced. It felt kinda jarring while reading it live, but it works well as a contained story.

I think it's just not sure what scale it's working on, half the time. "Big Dumb Objects" is a long chapter with a lot of stuff going on. I thought each sub-section was pretty well-paced. "A Little Immortality" is much shorter and tighter, and also works (for me).

For "Mandatory Failure" he wanted to zoom out and do something on the "Big Dumb Objects" scale, but it got too big and out of control, and he had to cut it. And that moved it from "Slow but steady pace" to "abruptly ending very jerkily while skipping the interesting bits."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Oct 2018, 22:34

The last few arcs have struck me as suddenly lurched toward a climax in the middle of what felt like building action. Delegates and Delegation was the last story that didn't give me that feeling.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Oct 2018, 20:08

WRT Schlock: OK, a sane version of Chinook turning up is a nice touch. "Oh, a second character I like finally joined the discussion."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Nov 2018, 17:13

Heh. Re-skimming this thread, I find my observation a few years back that the oldest webcomics are coming up 20 years. Up until this year, that was about eight comics or so that were still being published.

But now, we've hit twenty years since 1998, getting to the start of webcomics as a thing, as opposed to a few randos going, "Hey, I've got a scanner and a website, I could put this comic online..." SSDD already hit twenty years back in September, and the artist posted a short video for the occasion. And now Penny Arcade has hit 20 years, with no particular anniversary installment.

What I'm saying is, brace for a lot of anniversaries in the next few years.

*looks in a list* ...Huh, Cat and Girl is still going? There's a comic I could never get into. I was never sure whether I was supposed to sympathize with or laugh at the Girl, and I was never really stirred to do either.