Webcomics

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Webcomics

Post by Jadagul » 15 May 2010, 12:36

Do we have one of these in the new digs yet?

Anyway, I realized today that Erfworld really should be ranked way up there in my webcomics hierarchy, much higher than it has been.

Basically, what Order of the Stick is to DnD, Erfworld is to strategy wargames. All the characters live in a world where the rules of some weird wargame actually hold--as in, everyone belongs to a side, and you know your move and your hitpoints, and your rations appear at the beginning of the day after a deduction from your side's treasury. That sort of thing. One side is doing really really badly, and spends a ton of gold to summon "the perfect warlord," a wargames nerd from our world. Who proceeds to pull off tactical gambits of a sort no one has ever thought of. Also tons of layered references to, well, everything. Lots of really cutesy names, and cutesy art, but they really use that to point out that war is, well, not pretty. Even if it's being fought by giant marshmallow peeps called "Gwiffons" and giant arachnid "spidews."

It updates slowly--once or twice a week. But I think that over the past few months, at least every other update has left me either grinning like an idiot or straightforwardly stunned with amazement.

Last note--the archive setup is a little weird. The archive for Book 1 works fine, but when you get to the summer updates you should go here and back up rather than using the archive function--if you don't, you'll miss a few updates.

Eric the .5b

Re: Webcomics

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 May 2010, 18:02

Nope, good time to start a thread.

I didn't realize Erfword was updating again; have to catch up.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 May 2010, 20:41

An internet friend of mine previously dated Rob Balder (and an internet acquaintance of mine is currently dating him) and he kind of sounds like a creep. Not that this should influence anyone else's enjoyment of his comics, obvs.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 May 2010, 21:23

achewood has been en fuego lately.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Lost_In_Translation

Post by Lost_In_Translation » 15 May 2010, 22:02

The geek in my must always keep up with the likes of www.xkcd.com. The twisted psychopath wish the perry bible fellowship (www.pbfcomics.com) would update more often.

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 16 May 2010, 01:02

Jadagul wrote:Do we have one of these in the new digs yet?

Anyway, I realized today that Erfworld really should be ranked way up there in my webcomics hierarchy, much higher than it has been.

Basically, what Order of the Stick is to DnD, Erfworld is to strategy wargames. All the characters live in a world where the rules of some weird wargame actually hold--as in, everyone belongs to a side, and you know your move and your hitpoints, and your rations appear at the beginning of the day after a deduction from your side's treasury. That sort of thing. One side is doing really really badly, and spends a ton of gold to summon "the perfect warlord," a wargames nerd from our world. Who proceeds to pull off tactical gambits of a sort no one has ever thought of. Also tons of layered references to, well, everything. Lots of really cutesy names, and cutesy art, but they really use that to point out that war is, well, not pretty. Even if it's being fought by giant marshmallow peeps called "Gwiffons" and giant arachnid "spidews."

It updates slowly--once or twice a week. But I think that over the past few months, at least every other update has left me either grinning like an idiot or straightforwardly stunned with amazement.

Last note--the archive setup is a little weird. The archive for Book 1 works fine, but when you get to the summer updates you should go here and back up rather than using the archive function--if you don't, you'll miss a few updates.
I'd never bothered to read it (though I love OOTS.)

Bad omission. I love this bit from the List of Forces on Image 84:
9 Soft Rock Golems
4 Hard Rock Golems
2 Acid Rock Golems
1 Metal Golem
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 May 2010, 13:08

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is a fun gag-a-day comic.

Or:

"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 May 2010, 13:42

Those are both great!

The second one puts me in mind of what might be my new favorite Hark, A Vagrant! ever:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 May 2010, 13:53

Also a fine comic. :)

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jul 2010, 15:38

Just caught up on the archives of the second-oldest webcomic I've ever archive-binged (started in 1998). Dang.

The comic is S.S.D.D.. (http://www.poisonedminds.com - scroll down) Warning keywords here are NSFW (hard PG-15 to light R, mostly dialog), crass and furry with a side of the early art is utter crap. These may disqualify it for everyone here, but I'd hate to be remiss.

(Seriously, on the early art. The guy put a warning in the archives that he thinks you'll lose nothing if you just skip to the start of year 3, once he got the characterizations down and learned how to draw. I think it added to the WTF of the plot twists to have a longer start, but YMMV.)

The comic starts out with the misadventures of three lower-class guys of varying degrees of shiftlessness, somewhere near London. One's the landlord, one's a stoner, and one is the landlord's erratic, thuggish anarchist friend Norman. They're all animals, though aside from a few jokes and some off-handed references to some folks objecting to inter-species relationships, it's much closer to the "funny-animal" comic genre, where it's not important to the story.

Crass, exaggerated slice-of-life humor with a few dashes of dead-baby comedy ensues, and it actually gets pretty good. Norman endeavors to cause chaos and blow things up, particularly unoccupied public works on Guy Fawkes' Day, but manages to avoid getting any serious convictions. The stoner tokes. Etc.

Then there start to be flash-forwards to the future, involving a female soldier stuck on a shit-detail on a run-down military station orbiting Uranus. Some crass comedy ensues there, but then some odd hints drop about politics of the time period. Apparently, one of the major powers of the time is the hilariously-named Collective of Anarchist States. Eventually, we find out that it was founded by a mass-murderous military/revolutionary leader in the early 21st century, a guy named Norman Gates.

The very same unemployed Norman Gates who's "the funny violent nutter" in the original trio in the present-time installments.

And then Plot starts, and the writer makes this ridiculous setup make at least as much sense as anything else. Things start turning into a weird mix of lowbrow or black humor, surprisingly well-thought-out science fiction, and occasional bits of serious techno-horror (this is one of the few comics I've ever read that made me actually startle at a panel). Narrative threads interweave, connections start forming, weird things start happening, and motivations get revealed.

Then the guy starts getting experimental, occasionally shifting art styles (particularly in the female soldier's dream sequences) and throwing in occasional Flash bits. Some are animations, while others are mock-ups of things like characters' email programs or PDAs. For filler, he throws out quotes or passages from books in the future period, though a few rather creepy installments were the last written remarks of one of First Advisors of the Collective of Anarchist States, right before the displeased mob got to him...

I really like the comic. The writer needs Jennifer's services as a copy-editor, as he has occasional spelling issues and such, but the story and characters are strong and the humor amuses. The art has actually gotten pretty good, as twelve years of practice will do for someone.

mediageek

Post by mediageek » 16 Jul 2010, 15:54

Chainsawsuit is really hit or miss with the humor, and even when it is a hit, it's still stupid.

But it makes me grin, so there's that.

I now cannot fry eggs without this going through my head:

Palin/Camacho 2012

Shem

Post by Shem » 16 Jul 2010, 15:58

Scenes From A Multiverse is awesome. Best one so far:

Also, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal still manages to be impressive in its dedication to high standards of humor

"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Aug 2010, 12:08

I'm rereading the archives of Order of the Stick (I'm not caught up to present, no spoilers plz) and while I love the comic, I'm really uncomfortable with how women are portrayed, especially Miko. Any woman who opposes the party is a "bitch" or a "slut" (while male antagonists really don't get called any names at all, that I've noticed) -- and really, Rich Burlew, you're gonna bust out the hoary old "uptight women just need to get laid!" chestnut and expect me to laugh?

Though he does get a million bonus points for shooting down the "any dude will be swayed by an illusion of a hot chick" trope that keeps coming up in my RPG.

Edit: wait, so SPOILER before she even gets SPOILER? I take it all back! This comic sucks donkey dong!

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Aug 2010, 14:02

Bonnie N. Collide - light workplace humor involving a comedically obsessive rollergirl:
http://www.eatyourlipstick.com/BonnieNC ... ollide.htm

I'd put up images, but they seem to get cut off in preview.

http://www.eatyourlipstick.com/BonnieNC ... lide_3.jpg

http://www.eatyourlipstick.com/BonnieNC ... ide_60.jpg

http://www.eatyourlipstick.com/BonnieNC ... ide_41.jpg

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 21 Aug 2010, 09:00

I ran across Lackadaisy via a shout-out on another webcomic entirely. I went for the art, stayed for the Prohibition-era storyline set in St. Louis.

Later, I found out that the strip's author is actually the boss of a friend of mine here. They work for a software company developing graphics for video games. Dude.
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Aug 2010, 17:34

Small world!

(I came across that comic and lost track of it in a bookmark apocalypse, a few years back. Will have to catch up...)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Sep 2010, 13:35

David's been trying to get me to read Girl Genius lately, but I'm having trouble getting into it. My netbook's screen is a little too small to properly appreciate it at home, yet I'm uncomfortable reading it at work for fear of my boss coming in while my monitor is screaming "TITS TITS TITS AND ASS"; also, I cannot hear the phrase "Heterodyne Boys" in anything other than the South Park Hardly Boys' narrator voice.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Sep 2010, 13:52

You can also order volumes of it in print. I got the first five volumes autographed by Foglio at the same D*C you got yourself autographed, IIRC. :)

(He was nice, but distracted - and reasonably so - by my lovely friend Jandi discovering his XXXenophile volumes and going into ooh-I-must-have-this mode. Now, that would be TITS ASS NAUGHTY BITS, not just mostly-dressed folks.)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Sep 2010, 13:55

Eric the .5b wrote: I got the first five volumes autographed by Foglio at the same D*C you got yourself autographed, IIRC. :)
Best Dragon*Con EVER!

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Oct 2010, 12:32

A Girl and her Fed: http://agirlandherfed.com/

I'm less than halfway through an archive binge on this comic. Minor warning: the early art is competent, but minimalist, and once you hit the end of the section that the artist has been redrawing and coloring, it's a bit jarring.

This comic is on the crazy WTF end of the scale. The premise that gets set up very quickly? An unnamed young newspaper intern (the Girl) twigs to the fact that she's under surveillance. She confirms that she's somehow on the terrorism watch list...with the help of what she thinks is a persistent hallucination who keeps patiently explaining that he really is the ghost of Benjamin Franklin. Then we meet the poor federal agent (the Fed) assigned to spy on her, who is quite certain she's absolutely harmless, as is his supervisor. It's a pointless shit detail the agent's stuck on because he was part of a group of DHS volunteers who got experimental brain implants...which were a complete failure and had side effects that made the agents unsuitable for most jobs. (One of those side effects is the UI to the implant - a floating little avatar visible only to people with the implants that looks like a digital homunculus of GWB, but which rarely makes sense two sentences in a row. The agents can't turn it off and can only keep it away through suppressing most of their emotional responses.)

The fed decides to get pulled off of this crazy woman's case by letting her see him, so that he can report he's been made. This results in a confrontation where the Fed realizes he can see Ben Franklin, and the Girl can see the "bitty bush" avatar. Then everything starts getting strange. Conspiracies, murders, revelations, the romance of the two protagonists, time travel (which may or may not be a red herring), and...Speedy, who is just Speedy.

I'm enjoying the comic thoroughly. The dialog is excellent, with very distinctive voices for the characters, the plot is followable despite its weirdness, and the artist had a great way with faces and postures even when he wasn't drawing characters' eyes. It's also frequently hilarious.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Oct 2010, 18:40

Eric the .5b wrote:A Girl and her Fed: http://agirlandherfed.com/

I'm less than halfway through an archive binge on this comic. Minor warning: the early art is competent, but minimalist, and once you hit the end of the section that the artist has been redrawing and coloring, it's a bit jarring.

This comic is on the crazy WTF end of the scale. The premise that gets set up very quickly? An unnamed young newspaper intern (the Girl) twigs to the fact that she's under surveillance. She confirms that she's somehow on the terrorism watch list...with the help of what she thinks is a persistent hallucination who keeps patiently explaining that he really is the ghost of Benjamin Franklin. Then we meet the poor federal agent (the Fed) assigned to spy on her, who is quite certain she's absolutely harmless, as is his supervisor. It's a pointless shit detail the agent's stuck on because he was part of a group of DHS volunteers who got experimental brain implants...which were a complete failure and had side effects that made the agents unsuitable for most jobs. (One of those side effects is the UI to the implant - a floating little avatar visible only to people with the implants that looks like a digital homunculus of GWB, but which rarely makes sense two sentences in a row. The agents can't turn it off and can only keep it away through suppressing most of their emotional responses.)

The fed decides to get pulled off of this crazy woman's case by letting her see him, so that he can report he's been made. This results in a confrontation where the Fed realizes he can see Ben Franklin, and the Girl can see the "bitty bush" avatar. Then everything starts getting strange. Conspiracies, murders, revelations, the romance of the two protagonists, time travel (which may or may not be a red herring), and...Speedy, who is just Speedy.

I'm enjoying the comic thoroughly. The dialog is excellent, with very distinctive voices for the characters, the plot is followable despite its weirdness, and the artist had a great way with faces and postures even when he wasn't drawing characters' eyes. It's also frequently hilarious.
Damn you, Eric! *shakes fist*

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Oct 2010, 02:10

Jadagul wrote:Damn you, Eric! *shakes fist*
Heheh. :)

The archive is 815 or so installments. It's apparently winding up next year, sometime.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Oct 2010, 03:07

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jadagul wrote:Damn you, Eric! *shakes fist*
Heheh. :)

The archive is 815 or so installments. It's apparently winding up next year, sometime.
Really? The way he just started another arc I figured it was gonna run longer than that. Huh.

Oh, did you figure out who Ben's two other exceptional proteges were? I assume 1930 was related to the New Deal and/or WWII; I can't figure out who 1830 was. Immediately thought about nullification but it doesn't seem to fit.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Oct 2010, 03:12

Well, he said one was Lincoln, but I draw a blank on the other.

And this arc could go a ways into 2011. Or it could run long.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Oct 2010, 03:26

He said one was a politician and the other was a journalist. In 1830 and in 1930. And that in the 1830 intervention he "lost, big time" (implying that he won in 1930).

I'd gotten the impression that Lincoln was a big deal for a number of reasons but not that Ben had interacted with him in life. (Looking back, it's quite plausible that he did get involved with Lincoln, but I don't think he was one of the big two. Could be wrong, though),