Happy Independence Day!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Happy Independence Day!

Post by dhex » 04 Jul 2012, 20:44

It's great that the people up the block are shooting off fireworks in a crowded
neighborhood. Thankfully the Greeks are known for caution and a solid work ethic.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Jul 2012, 20:50

You guys swimming is really exhausting. I didn't even have the strength to flip out when my garage door refused to let me in.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Jul 2012, 20:57

That's one reason why swimming can be a very dangerous activity, especially for people who are starting on a exercise regimen using it, and especially in a non-pool setting. You get far more tired because you are always working against resistance and you also don't realize how much energy you spend, because the normal cues are attenuated: the water partially supports you, so your legs and arms don't feel leaden, the water cools you off so you don't feel hot and sweaty. And before you know it, you're flat out exhausted in a pretty hostile environment.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Jul 2012, 21:44

Also the battery-operated sharks and inflatable orcas that lurk in pools.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jul 2012, 22:00

The worst thing about swimming is the same as everything else. Namely, not being in your 20's anymore. Once, you and your palls played nerf water football all afternoon fighting an undertow. Now you dare not venture into water over your head least you get hit with a cramp that turns your leg into a pretzel. At least you've mastered the art of SPF 10,000 and no longer know the special joy of watching your own flesh boil away.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Jul 2012, 22:03

I caught a few minutes of an Australian police reality show the other day - a Sydney gentleman had attempted to make a 20 mile swim while drinking from a bottle of bourbon.

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 05 Jul 2012, 00:35

Happy Fourth!

I spent most of it sleeping and editing a benefits handbook, but there you go. That's what having a holiday right in the middle of a busy week is all about.

I was going to go swimming, but decided to sleep some more instead.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Jul 2012, 01:16

dbcooper wrote:I caught a few minutes of an Australian police reality show the other day - a Sydney gentleman had attempted to make a 20 mile swim while drinking from a bottle of bourbon.

That is exactly how I picture daily life "down under".
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 05 Jul 2012, 12:39

I briefly suggested actually leaving the house to go watch fireworks, and then self overrulled with "it's hot. and there will be people there" so laziness ftw.

Later, I told a friend of this, and he suggested I had been remiss in not going to a park and passing out pamphlets on the Articles of Confederation. Sorry for failing this 4th libertarians, I'll temporarily turn in my decoder ring.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jul 2012, 12:49

My wife being in Indianapolis on business, I took our daughter and younger son to the Dallas Fair Park to enjoy fireworks and heat stroke. The former are supposed to be the biggest, most impressive fireworks display in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. They were good but nothing approaching spectacular. I'm sure there are fireworks displays in the U.S. as grand or better than the Washington DC show, but none that I've ever seen.

As for heat prostration, I've learned not to try to keep up with teenagers. Oh, and the parking lot clusterf*ck after the show lasted three times as long as the fireworks.

JD

Post by JD » 05 Jul 2012, 12:50

Speaking of Independence Day, what are people's thoughts on The Star-Spangled Banner? I see that Radley Balko had a guest blogger who hates the SSB, mostly for what I thought were pretty silly reasons (the music is from an English drinking song! I don't get this poetic language stuff!)

I rather like the SSB. The music is OK, nothing very special, and the lyrics are awkwardly set to it, frankly. But the lyrics are inspiring, IMO. Much better than most other countries'. Most national anthems fall into two categories: "We Are A Very Special Country" or "FUCK YOU WE'RE INDEPENDENT NOW".

"We Are A Very Special Country" goes like this:
Oh, beautiful Generica
You were specially created
With your plants and your mountains and the seashore and stuff

But most important are us people
Who are proud to be Generican
And work for the future of Generica and all of the world
("Advance Australia Fair" is a good example of this kind.)

"FUCK YOU WE'RE INDEPENDENT NOW" goes like:
Onwards through blood and iron and fire
The patriot fights for glory or death
Stumbling through the entrails of the hated oppressor

No more shall your chains weigh us down
Us free people are going to take them off
And throw them in your ugly face, so FOAD
(For example, Mexico.)

The SSB is closer to the second kind, but rather poetic in using the flag as metonymic for the nation and describing the flag by what's going on around it, which I like. And the second and fourth verses are probably better than the first (not so sure about the third).
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Jul 2012, 00:03

JD wrote:Speaking of Independence Day, what are people's thoughts on The Star-Spangled Banner? I see that Radley Balko had a guest blogger who hates the SSB, mostly for what I thought were pretty silly reasons (the music is from an English drinking song! I don't get this poetic language stuff!)

I rather like the SSB. The music is OK, nothing very special, and the lyrics are awkwardly set to it, frankly. But the lyrics are inspiring, IMO. Much better than most other countries'. Most national anthems fall into two categories: "We Are A Very Special Country" or "FUCK YOU WE'RE INDEPENDENT NOW".

"We Are A Very Special Country" goes like this:
Oh, beautiful Generica
You were specially created
With your plants and your mountains and the seashore and stuff

But most important are us people
Who are proud to be Generican
And work for the future of Generica and all of the world
("Advance Australia Fair" is a good example of this kind.)

"FUCK YOU WE'RE INDEPENDENT NOW" goes like:
Onwards through blood and iron and fire
The patriot fights for glory or death
Stumbling through the entrails of the hated oppressor

No more shall your chains weigh us down
Us free people are going to take them off
And throw them in your ugly face, so FOAD
(For example, Mexico.)

The SSB is closer to the second kind, but rather poetic in using the flag as metonymic for the nation and describing the flag by what's going on around it, which I like. And the second and fourth verses are probably better than the first (not so sure about the third).
I like the star spangled banner. And if you shift it down to Ab or so from the usual Bb it fits my range perfectly.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 06 Jul 2012, 00:14

I'm pretty cool with "The Star-Spangled Banner", and I like its violence. For various reasons, I think we need to remember the violence.

I've heard suggestions that the SSB is too hard to sing, and we should make "America the Beautiful" our anthem instead. I dunno. The music is kind of pretty, but that song is almost devoid of content. I don't think it has the powr of the SSB.

I don't think I could handle "This Land Is Your Land" either.

If we chose a new anthem, I'd be OK with "My Country 'Tis of Thee." The fact that it has the same tune as the British national anthem is OK with me.

Other options I would consider for our national anthem:

- "Green Grass and High Tides" by the Outlaws.

- "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister. The more I think about it, the more I like this one. Politicians need to hear it. And the public needs to get a little backbone.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Jul 2012, 00:31

My nominees for National Anthem:

"American Idiot" by Green Day
"For those about to rock: We salute you" by AC/DC
"Uprising" by Muse
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2012, 00:33

Advance Australia Fair is a pretty dreadful anthem. Most are.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Jul 2012, 00:40

Stevo Darkly wrote: I've heard suggestions that the SSB is too hard to sing, and we should make "America the Beautiful" our anthem instead. I dunno. The music is kind of pretty, but that song is almost devoid of content. I don't think it has the powr of the SSB.
Depends on who sings it.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Jul 2012, 00:43

Canada currently has the best national anthem.

We could remedy that by adopting the theme to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Jul 2012, 00:46

I think Rage Against The Machine should write our national anthem.

I'm not joking.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2012, 00:50

*confiscates thoreau's ipod*

France has the best anthem. Very blood thirsty. I'd love to hear the Brits belt out Rule Britannia every now and then.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Jul 2012, 00:56

dbcooper wrote:*confiscates thoreau's ipod*
Who do you think you are? The TSA?
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2012, 00:57

Hold on, I haven't stolen it yet. :)

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Jul 2012, 01:01

Now this is the story all about how
our country got flipped turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there I can
tell you how I became the King of North America

In Downtown Philadelphia, Written and Signed
Independence Hall is where I spent most of that time
Chillin' out, colonizing, totally maxin
When King George decided to overdo the taxin.
Sent a bunch of his troops who were up to no good
So they started makin' trouble in the neighborhood.
Founding Fathers started looking for sovereign reclamation
and said "Jefferson, write up an Independence Declaration!"

I can't tell if that's terrible or not. Too much effort. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 06 Jul 2012, 01:12

I think that is very nice.

Here is the background music:

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Jul 2012, 13:41

thoreau wrote:I think Rage Against The Machine should write our national anthem.

I'm not joking.
It would ensure that I never went to a ball game again. Or at least that I never showed up on time.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jul 2012, 13:46

thoreau wrote:I think Rage Against The Machine should write our national anthem.

I'm not joking.
Yeah, but it would be hard to sing the bit where the guitar goes "weedly-oo-weedly-oo-weedly-oo-WAH".
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF