Happy Independence Day!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Happy Independence Day!

Post by Sandy » 01 Jul 2011, 23:42

Being a mammal, bright colorful things attract me, so I'm down with fireworks. I can even appreciate them on a deeper level like Jadagul.

However, because I am endothermic, I find excessive heat annoying and spending all day in the sun on the mall to see the fabled fireworks display up close is nothing I want to experience, so I've never done that hear. Closest I got was the bridge over the railroad tracks into Potomac Yards on US 1. That's been straightened, so it won't be as good.

Someday I'll rent one of the air conditioned hotel rooms in Crystal City sufficiently in advance to have a party from an air conditioned room like god intended.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Jul 2011, 00:13

Jadagul wrote:So basically it's like sex.
Insert joke about tantric fireworks here.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jul 2011, 01:45

There's supposed to be a gigantic, earth-shattering kaboom!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Jul 2011, 15:23

the innominate one wrote:
One day you'll all have to suffer through my extended theory of how all art is an attempt to recreate sex.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jul 2011, 15:49

I like well designed big budget shows like the one they have in Louisville leading up to the Derby but not enough to wade through the crowds such events attract. There is always some wacky land owner around these semi rural parts who dumps a ton of cash on a show he puts on in his field. When those guys go all out for commercial grade stuff, it's kinda nice to brin a cooler and some tunes to a hilltop nearby.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Jul 2011, 21:36

Jadagul wrote:
the innominate one wrote:
One day you'll all have to suffer through my extended theory of how all art is an attempt to recreate sex.
Pursuant to this line of thought, it's my contention that teaching biology is just an excuse to talk dirty to cute young coeds. I've taught and evaluated students on their streaking and spreading techniques, e.g.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jul 2011, 01:32

I also find fireworks overrated. As a disclaimer, I grew up near Disneyland, so half of the days of the year there were fireworks shows. I do, however, love amateur illegal fireworks.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 03 Jul 2011, 11:55

"I love America. But not in an Archie Bunker, go off to war kind of way. I love America because Miles Davis is from here. James Brown could never have been Belgian. It just couldn't have happened."
-Henry Rollins (From memory, so the wording my not be exact.)
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2011, 13:19

The best 4th of July fireworks I ever saw, was put on by a small municipality north of Pontiac called Lake Orion (pronounced ORE-ee-on). I had only to walk out my front door and across the street to get a lakeside seat. They threw up about three minutes of one every five seconds and then the big "finale". After the last boom died out and silence descended, we all looked at each other with a "is that it" quizzical expression. Then, Boom Boom BoomBoomBoom, and it started up again. This happened over and over. There must have been a dozen false endings and each subsequent display was grander than the one before. After about the third go around the crowd started cheering at the end of the crescendos and again at the start of the encores. By the end everyone was on their feet screaming. We waited a full minute and a half as the smoke hung on the water to see if that was indeed the end and started breaking up, exchanging "very cool"s, "awesome"s, and nods.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Jul 2011, 13:28

I watched the french navy's bastille day fireworks on the cote d'azur a few years ago. That was pretty awesome actually.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Jul 2011, 06:16

Happy 4th of July dudes.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jul 2011, 12:01

I see no reason to celebrate today. I'm not even allowed to go on vacation unless I consent to being sexually molested by some dropout piece of shit so lacking in basic morality and useful job skills, she now works as a tourist-diddler for the federal government. Fuck the TSA, and fuck the country that inflicts TSA on innocent law-abiding citizens.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 04 Jul 2011, 13:17

I need to impregnate numerous women. Then I can use my kids as a lever to get all the days off I want like my cow-orker. Throwing in a bizarre, random comment likening the manager to Hitler and your cow-orker(me) as an uncaring robot will only add to your triumph.

Hey! Have a happy fourth of July everyone!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Jul 2011, 15:58

ha! the answer to that, of course, is "but hitler loved children!"

we went to the bronx zoo today. not my idea because i was not raised by a family that thought major holidays were a great time to visit major tourist attractions. however, we went early, and it mostly worked out.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jul 2011, 16:01

Proper response: "No, he's not like Hitler at all; Hitler gave those Mother's Cross awards to women who were prolific breeders."

EDIT: I see Dhex had a similar thought.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Jul 2011, 16:14

It seems awful quiet here, today. Same a H&R, the Agitator & UO.

Is everyone on holiday down there or something?

---

(Happy Fourth, people. Go out, watch a parade, eat 68 hot dogs, watch some fireworks set to traditional American music like the 1812 Overture. )
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Jul 2011, 16:46

Aresen wrote:It seems awful quiet here, today. Same a H&R, the Agitator & UO.

Is everyone on holiday down there or something?

---

(Happy Fourth, people. Go out, watch a parade, eat 68 hot dogs, watch some fireworks set to traditional American music like the 1812 Overture. )
I've been live action roleplaying a crossover of Hoarders and Life After People (which is not the Founders' fault), and getting hosed by your exchange rate (which is)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Jul 2011, 16:52

And I finally agree with thoreau - Not only is it not required on July 4th to remember Da Troops - there are at least two other holidays for that - but also, it is especially ironic to name drop Afghanistan as today's holiday *is* a celebration of an ad-hoc army defeating the most powerful military in the world.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Jul 2011, 16:57

Kolohe wrote:I've been live action roleplaying .... Life After People
I am curious as to how one would "live action roleplay" Life After People.

I can sympathize with your plight on the foreign exchange front. I've seen stores giving as low as 90 cents/US dollar. OTOH, this hoser has been thoroughly hosed many times going down to the US. I've learned to buy my US$ before I go.

FWIW, banks & ATMs generally give the best rates - credit unions and caisse populaires being best of all - but watch out for the fees that the banks throw on top.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Jul 2011, 17:06

Kolohe wrote:And I finally agree with thoreau - Not only is it not required on July 4th to remember Da Troops - there are at least two other holidays for that - but also, it is especially ironic to name drop Afghanistan as today's holiday *is* a celebration of an ad-hoc army defeating the most powerful military in the world.
I just blogged that. Thanks for the heads-up.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Jul 2011, 17:09

Aresen wrote:
Kolohe wrote:I've been live action roleplaying .... Life After People
I am curious as to how one would "live action roleplay" Life After People.
:) Digging through boxes of stuff that have been sitting in the same (unheated, unventilated) rooms untouched since Nixon resigned.
I can sympathize with your plight on the foreign exchange front. I've seen stores giving as low as 90 cents/US dollar. OTOH, this hoser has been thoroughly hosed many times going down to the US. I've learned to buy my US$ before I go.

FWIW, banks & ATMs generally give the best rates - credit unions and caisse populaires being best of all - but watch out for the fees that the banks throw on top.
I'm getting a 1% surcharge on ATM's and Credit card transactions, (plus a buck and half ATM fee) but I'm OK with that. Small town Nova Scotia doesn't have too many more options.

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Jul 2011, 17:53

I would have thought LARPing 'Life After People was 'going camping woefully unprepared'...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Jul 2011, 15:21

Jennifer wrote:Proper response: "No, he's not like Hitler at all; Hitler gave those Mother's Cross awards to women who were prolific breeders."

EDIT: I see Dhex had a similar thought.
My actual response was something like, "You're not gonna guilt me into thinking you're a victim here just because you're such a whore* you never thought to wear a condom."

*Don't be offended people. I call her a whore** at least several times a day. She has unflattering nicknames for me as well.

**I coined the term "whoretastrophe" for when she fucks up inventories/orders.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Jul 2012, 18:13

Happy Independence Day to you all, my friends!

(I see there is a new thread dedicated to the Founding Fathers, but I thought I'd revive this old one to renew my best wishes.)

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 04 Jul 2012, 20:23

My first 4th of July off in 5 years or so. And the first time celebrating it for something like 8 years. Not sure what to do. Do people still have parties and such? I'm gonna go to a bbq, drink, and light off fireworks just to be on the safe side.