Happy Independence Day!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Happy Independence Day!

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Jun 2011, 22:26

Eleven Score and fifteen years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, which they made room for by getting rid of the hundred or so nations that were already here, conceived in liberty, hastily aborted until they were old enough to build a tyranny of their own, and dedicated to both the proposition that all men are created equal, and the task of making them unequal.

We give the US a lot of shit on this forum, but we should take time out at least one weekend a year to remember that this really is a great country, and that her faults are due largely to the venal reprobates that are routinely given political and police power, rather than the average American. The people of this country work hard every day to create and distribute the things and ideas that have made the world an appreciably better place than it was 235 years ago.

So I dedicate this thread to celebrating the good things about America and Americans. Since I will be AFC in Eastern CO all weekend, I wanted to give everyone a chance to start early on their celebration of the Fourth. I'll kick us off in the only way I think is appropriate: with a Canadian.

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Re: Happy Independence Day!

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2011, 22:42

Superresolution localization microscopy, which will someday revolutionize biomedical research, was invented by Americans. Well, one of them was working in Germany at the time. And some of the work done in America was done by cheap immigrant grad students. But, really, isn't the exploitation of cheap immigrant grad student labor the most American thing of all?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 30 Jun 2011, 23:24

I am now independent of my employer of 10 years and 9 months.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2011, 00:01

Largely agree with Hugh, except I will blame the average citizens for stupidly electing and re-electing the venal, corrupt incompetents to office.

Sandy, as I just wrote to Hugh on the bird weighing thread, congratulations?

I thought you and the higher ups worked things out.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Jul 2011, 05:05

We did. I shall be employed but in a company I'm cofounding. :)
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2011, 07:44

Well, then just mentally change the above interrogative to an exclamation.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Jul 2011, 08:49

Congrats Sandy!
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jul 2011, 09:09

I blame the libertarians who are not true libertarians. Both the scoffers who withhold their support, offer nothing but derision towards the efforts of others, and the too eager wackos whose misguided efforts only serve to compound the problem.

But I'm still with Hugh. In the words of America's greatest living social commentators
AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Jul 2011, 11:25

To Aresen and rana (and let's face it, Kwix): Happy Canada Day!

Also: apparently there's a Canada Day?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jul 2011, 11:37

Hugh Akston wrote:To Aresen and rana (and let's face it, Kwix): Happy Canada Day!

From what I understand, Canada Day is a national holiday celebrated in the first week of July with parades and fireworks, where all Canada is united in declaring "We are not the United States".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 Jul 2011, 12:01

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jul 2011, 12:17

Hugh Akston wrote:To Aresen and rana (and let's face it, Kwix): Happy Canada Day!

And Ellie and David!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jul 2011, 12:35

lunchstealer wrote:

And Ellie and David!
Wait. Why are you invoking the overlords on this Independence thread?

Pham,
Heh, that was nice. The lame start was in service to the unlame crescendo, though the conclusion was week. It's got a nice beat but you can't dance to it, I give it six and a half stars.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jul 2011, 12:44

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

And Ellie and David!
Wait. Why are you invoking the overlords on this Independence thread?

Pham,
Heh, that was nice. The lame start was in service to the unlame crescendo, though the conclusion was week. It's got a nice beat but you can't dance to it, I give it six and a half stars.
'Cause they're from Minneapolis, which is in Canada. Or is it that Canada is in Minnesota? I always forget. Anyway, it's all one big frozen north.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 01 Jul 2011, 16:09

Congratulations Sandy.

Last year, at my old job, there were a couple people who didn't understand why our UK office was open on the 4th of July holiday.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 01 Jul 2011, 16:13

Congratulations, Sandy.

And happy Independence Day to you all, if I'm not online then.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 01 Jul 2011, 17:00

As we are in the middle of a drought, the cops will be out in force to hand out tickets in the event of fireworks. Seeing as how the county next to mine damn near burned to the ground, I'm not terribly incensed by the prohibition. I am disappointed I won't get to make splodey sparklies in the sky, as it is a missed opportunity to annoy my sanctimonious neighbors.

I may set off dry ice bombs inside a metal trash can instead. I figure that's a poor substitute for sparkly explosions, but still annoying.

Or I may sit on the porch with some bourbon and see who doesn't care. In any event, I'm almost sure not to be online on Monday, so Happy Independence Day.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Jul 2011, 18:54

tr0g wrote:As we are in the middle of a drought, the cops will be out in force to hand out tickets in the event of fireworks. Seeing as how the county next to mine damn near burned to the ground, I'm not terribly incensed by the prohibition. I am disappointed I won't get to make splodey sparklies in the sky, as it is a missed opportunity to annoy my sanctimonious neighbors.

I may set off dry ice bombs inside a metal trash can instead. I figure that's a poor substitute for sparkly explosions, but still annoying.

Or I may sit on the porch with some bourbon and see who doesn't care. In any event, I'm almost sure not to be online on Monday, so Happy Independence Day.
Fuck. One of the things I like best about the US Independence Day celebrations is the fireworks. While we have fireworks here, too, they are really small potatoes compared to what I have seen in the US. When I lived in Trail, BC, I slipped down to Colville WA for the Lions Club 4th of July fireworks display. Despite the fact that Colville only has around 5,000 people, the display was much larger than what we see here in Victoria (A city of 300,000 metro area.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Jul 2011, 20:18

fun dhex fact: fireworks bore me. and yes i've seen them while high.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 01 Jul 2011, 20:33

dhex wrote:fun dhex fact: fireworks bore me. and yes i've seen them while high.
fireworks are insanely overrated.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2011, 20:44

Agree with Rachel & dhex.

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Jul 2011, 21:19

I prefer a medium intensity fireworks display, one where they have a fairly steady stream of fireworks, and pairs and triples of shells. Unfortunately, too many displays go with the idea of "Let's make a 6 minute firework display which is one shell every 12 seconds for 5 and a half minutes, and then fire off 100 shells and reports in 30 seconds!" Which is just stupid, since you end up just looking at bright smoke after the first 4 shells of the final barrage.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Jul 2011, 22:44

I went to a fireworks show (well, one visible from my balcony) with friends a few years ago. At the end of it, I commented to one friend, "wow, that show was really well designed." She agreed. The other five people looked at us like we were crazy. "How can it be well or poorly designed? It has fireworks. That's all there is."

But they're wrong. It makes a huge difference whether the person designing the show has a good sense of timing, building to a climax and releasing, keeping the intensity right, and occasionally surprising you.

So basically it's like sex.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jul 2011, 23:07

I have very fond memories of lying on my back on a blanket by the Washington Monument and watching the 4th of July fireworks while tripping. Nowadays, absent mind altering substances, I still enjoy a good fireworks display even though the thrill, as they say, is gone. I also get a kick out of setting off fireworks at home, although the nanny state has prohibited most of the best sorts I remember as a kid. Also, they're ridiculously expensive.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Jul 2011, 23:16

Taking advantage of this thread to post a little Canada Day vignette which happened about 30 minutes ago:

Being Canada Day, there are naturally drinking & driving check stops all over the roads. I just went through one. Actual dialogue:

Policeman: Good evening, sir. Any alcohol today?

Me: No, thank you.

*Police officer laughs and waves me on.*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex