What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9039
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by nicole » 23 Jul 2017, 10:39

I really haven't gone to theaters with things like bad or sticky seats, dirty bathrooms, or anything like that since I was a kid; my hometown had new theaters built when I was in middle school/high school, and they were nice (not fancy), and since then I've lived in cities with nice-to-fancy theaters. I'm generally a crowd-hater, but I'm far more likely to get angry with people for standing on the left-hand side of the escalator before we get into the auditorium than for anything they do during the movie itself. It's generally a good experience.

I happen to have seen the only Nolan films I've seen in theaters (his Batmen). I've seen The Dark Knight several times at home as well and while it's still good it doesn't really compare. That was just incredible to see on the big screen (and, as it happened, a few hundred meters from where a bunch of the action scenes had been filmed). It's hard to imagine creating so immersive an experience at home.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12432
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jul 2017, 11:11

Then go. It's your money and time.

For me, I'm not sure I've seen ten movies this century.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14620
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Aresen » 23 Jul 2017, 11:11

nicole wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 10:39
It's hard to imagine creating so immersive an experience at home.
That's pretty much my take for movies that are heavy on special effects, which are usually designed to be overwhelming in scale. Hard to capture that on a home screen.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Sandy » 23 Jul 2017, 19:03

It's just expensive and no longer as big an improvement over being at home. I'll only go for visual effects-heavy movies.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26415
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by thoreau » 17 Sep 2017, 10:50

I saw Stephen King's It. They missed a lot of chances to explore themes and character motivations in favor of visual horror. Eddie's inhaler is used but not taken to the logical conclusion. Richie's personality is developed but how he handles fear is never explored. But the greatest sin of all is that they undercut everything they did to make Beverly the strongest* character by having It capture her _after_ she has overcome her fear of her father. And thus the final battle becomes a rescue mission rather than a deliberate choice by kids who are no longer afraid.

*In the book she was an equal; Eddie and Stan were probably the weakest. But I understand the reasons why they made her the strongest, and since they also made the kids a bit older it is realistic to note that at that age girls are usually taller and more mature than boys.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17926
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 Sep 2017, 12:37

All I'll say about mother! is that it's an art house film that has no business being shown at the multiplexes.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22644
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by JasonL » 17 Sep 2017, 12:40

Friend of mine quipped that it wasn't the Danzig biopic he'd hoped for.

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by the innominate one » 17 Sep 2017, 14:34

Ha!
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22644
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by JasonL » 19 Sep 2017, 09:22

Is it an iron law of cinema that if you see product placement ads in advance of the release date, that movie is going to suck? I'm worried about the Johnny Walker Blade Runner thing ...

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13495
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Kolohe » 19 Sep 2017, 12:01

My biggest problem with the Nu Blade Runner trailers is that they seem to make the whole central mystery about the nature of Deckard unambiguous.

Or is that just me imagining things?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24637
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Warren » 19 Sep 2017, 12:28

Kolohe wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:01
My biggest problem with the Nu Blade Runner trailers is that they seem to make the whole central mystery about the nature of Deckard unambiguous.
Well I would hope so. That was the central mystery of the first movie. The squeal should dispense with that right away or it isn't worth making.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26415
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by thoreau » 19 Sep 2017, 13:48

Warren wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:28
That was the central mystery of the first movie. The squeal should dispense with that right away or it isn't worth making.
You show those librul artz majors what you're made of, Warren.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Sep 2017, 13:57

thoreau wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 13:48
Warren wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:28
That was the central mystery of the first movie. The squeal should dispense with that right away or it isn't worth making.
You show those librul artz majors what you're made of, Warren.
I agree with Warren. A problem with the Marvel movies is these threads that never end. Keep the themes, but don't make me watch a bunch of movies to finally settle a plot point in an unsatisfying manner.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26415
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by thoreau » 19 Sep 2017, 14:02

*Ahem*
Warren wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:28
That was the central mystery of the first movie. The squeal should dispense with that right away or it isn't worth making.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by the innominate one » 19 Sep 2017, 14:03

That's what the comics do, endlessly. Even if they resolve a mystery, it's subject to endless revision later.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Sep 2017, 14:05

the innominate one wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:03
That's what the comics do, endlessly. Even if they resolve a mystery, it's subject to endless revision later.
That doesn't mean they should. The resolution of the X-Traitor storyline sucked, as I recall.

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by the innominate one » 19 Sep 2017, 14:11

You're right, they shouldn't. But it's not surprising that the movies based on the comics do the same or similar. I mostly stopped reading comics (or at least stopped keeping up with comics contemporaneously with their release) so I haven't been exposed to the X-traitor storyline. No spoilers!

Even if I do buy comics to read, I rarely buy anything X-men, unless it's an old storyline I know I like, and I'm trying to update my comics to digital, so I can stop lugging these boxes around.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3716
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Painboy » 19 Sep 2017, 14:11

Kolohe wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:01
My biggest problem with the Nu Blade Runner trailers is that they seem to make the whole central mystery about the nature of Deckard unambiguous.

Or is that just me imagining things?
Ridley Scott I believe is on record saying the whole "is Deckard a repilicant or not" was never intended. Since he's making the sequel he's likely not going to follow that line of thought.

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Sep 2017, 14:25

the innominate one wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:11
You're right, they shouldn't. But it's not surprising that the movies based on the comics do the same or similar. I mostly stopped reading comics (or at least stopped keeping up with comics contemporaneously with their release) so I haven't been exposed to the X-traitor storyline. No spoilers!

Even if I do buy comics to read, I rarely buy anything X-men, unless it's an old storyline I know I like, and I'm trying to update my comics to digital, so I can stop lugging these boxes around.
Marvel unlimited works pretty well.

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by the innominate one » 19 Sep 2017, 14:29

Painboy wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:11
Kolohe wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:01
My biggest problem with the Nu Blade Runner trailers is that they seem to make the whole central mystery about the nature of Deckard unambiguous.

Or is that just me imagining things?
Ridley Scott I believe is on record saying the whole "is Deckard a repilicant or not" was never intended. Since he's making the sequel he's likely not going to follow that line of thought.
Warning: possible spoilers

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/arts ... .html?_r=0
The NYT wrote:There’s a longstanding disagreement about whether Deckard is a replicant between Ridley, who says he is, and Harrison, who has maintained that he isn’t.

VILLENEUVE Harrison and Ridley are still arguing about this. I witnessed some discussion at dinner we had in Budapest, and it was fantastic. The idea that you’re unsure if you were designed or you are a real subject, a real human being — that tension is interesting. I’m not interested in the answer. I like the fact that the movies are playing on that ambiguity instead of taking one side or the other.

FORD It comes up somewhere around the end of the second drink. It always comes up somehow. When we were making the first film, the conversation really was only for Ridley and myself. Somehow it got into the general conversation, because people were curious about that, and I think that’s a good thing. The story, I think your options ... are somewhat preserved, for the audience.

SCOTT Deckard is a [expletive] replicant. Harrison can’t disagree now, because the whole premise of this new plot is based on the fact that he’s a replicant. I’m more amused by this than anything.

GOSLING They had this virtual reality experience at ComicCon where you could walk around in the world of “Blade Runner,” and these machines would read whether you were a replicant or not. We went in it, and I did see Harrison’s reading. I’m not at liberty to discuss it. But I know what he is.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3716
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Painboy » 19 Sep 2017, 15:02

the innominate one wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:29
Painboy wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:11
Kolohe wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:01
My biggest problem with the Nu Blade Runner trailers is that they seem to make the whole central mystery about the nature of Deckard unambiguous.

Or is that just me imagining things?
Ridley Scott I believe is on record saying the whole "is Deckard a repilicant or not" was never intended. Since he's making the sequel he's likely not going to follow that line of thought.
Warning: possible spoilers

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/arts ... .html?_r=0
The NYT wrote:There’s a longstanding disagreement about whether Deckard is a replicant between Ridley, who says he is, and Harrison, who has maintained that he isn’t.

VILLENEUVE Harrison and Ridley are still arguing about this. I witnessed some discussion at dinner we had in Budapest, and it was fantastic. The idea that you’re unsure if you were designed or you are a real subject, a real human being — that tension is interesting. I’m not interested in the answer. I like the fact that the movies are playing on that ambiguity instead of taking one side or the other.

FORD It comes up somewhere around the end of the second drink. It always comes up somehow. When we were making the first film, the conversation really was only for Ridley and myself. Somehow it got into the general conversation, because people were curious about that, and I think that’s a good thing. The story, I think your options ... are somewhat preserved, for the audience.

SCOTT Deckard is a [expletive] replicant. Harrison can’t disagree now, because the whole premise of this new plot is based on the fact that he’s a replicant. I’m more amused by this than anything.

GOSLING They had this virtual reality experience at ComicCon where you could walk around in the world of “Blade Runner,” and these machines would read whether you were a replicant or not. We went in it, and I did see Harrison’s reading. I’m not at liberty to discuss it. But I know what he is.
That's odd. I swore I read several instances where Scott said otherwise. Or maybe I'm just getting it backward since he definitely says Deckard is a replicant. Oh well, either way there's no more mystery.

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Sep 2017, 16:15

You know, in a way, we are all replicants.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26415
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by thoreau » 22 Sep 2017, 11:42

The Kingsman sequel was sufficiently amusing that I was able to forgive the premise of a drug lord who wants drugs to be legalized.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10406
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by JD » 25 Sep 2017, 21:42

It's not exactly new, but I did see Zardoz on the big screen this weekend. If you've never seen it, you really should, just to experience the amazing slice of 1970s weirdness that is Zardoz. I mean, it was directed by John Boorman, fresh off of Deliverance, and starred Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling. And I can only assume everyone was on a lot of drugs.

The movie opens with a guy's floating head bouncing around the screen like a cheap screensaver as he hams it up gloating about how he is a master manipulator. He has a dishtowel on his head, and a mustache and beard drawn on his face with Sharpie. Oddly enough it doesn't even look like it's supposed to be convincing, it just looks like it's supposed to be drawn on his face. The overall effect is of a kid playing a pharaoh in an elementary-school play.

The first real scene is a bunch of armed horsemen riding across the hills, wearing masks..and red diapers and red thigh-high boots, basically. Then a giant floating stone head drifts over the landscape and begins yelling a speech about how The Gun Is Good And The Penis Is Evil. Then the giant floating stone head vomits a whole bunch of guns onto the landscape. The movie does not get any less weird from there on out.

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by the innominate one » 25 Sep 2017, 21:49

Have the MST3K or Rifftrax guys ever covered Zardoz?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests