What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Jul 2017, 10:38

I guess when you're Christopher Nolan, there's really no need to think about the possibility of different perspectives or different approaches to filmmaking. Good on him for owning his solipsism.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Jul 2017, 16:49

nicole wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 09:40
Christopher Nolan is super not into Netflix's anti-theater distribution policy: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/christ ... 201857101/

I hardly ever go to theaters but am fundamentally on his side; disruption is not inherently good and tech investors are stupid; media matter.
I didn't RTFA but would I be correct in assuming this has to do with Oscar eligibility?

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Jul 2017, 17:19

Not according to the interview. He says he wants to make films for a cinema experience, and Netflix's policy of zero cinema exclusivity just hurts theaters when they could just as easily give, e.g., 30-day exclusivity like Amazon Prime does. He thinks there is no real benefit of zero exclusivity and that it's just people liking something new and different because it's new and different.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jul 2017, 19:45

I thought he was part of the Westworld production team, but it looks like it's only his brother.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Jul 2017, 19:57

If, as it has been said, war is long periods of boredom punctuated by thrills and terror, Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk has perfectly captured the experience. Except for the second part.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Jul 2017, 20:21

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 19:57
If, as it has been said, war is long periods of boredom punctuated by thrills and terror, Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk has perfectly captured the experience. Except for the second part.
Have heard complaints about it jumping around in time. Was this a problem with it?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Jul 2017, 22:00

dbcooper wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 20:21
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 19:57
Have heard complaints about it jumping around in time. Was this a problem with it?
I can see how some would find that offputting. I just thought there was very little there there. Yes, some individual scenes were brilliantly shot, but the story never built any real dramatic tension, which is even more of a shame when you realize the overwhelming majority of American film viewer won't know going in how it ends. Branagh mostly stood around on the dock; he had maybe twelve lines of dialogue. I didn't even know the pilot was Hardy until he took off his oxygen mask at the end of the movie. Mark Rylance was good, but even he couldn't make much out of the somewhat contrived drama aboard his boat. Finally, admittedly provincial on my part, I kept wishing there were subtitles because the Brit accents were unusually hard for me to understand over all the noise. *shrug*

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Jul 2017, 22:40

Like Mr. Ridgely, I enjoyed Dunkirk. The tension arose more from helplessness and uncertainty than cheap dramatics. It dispensed with contrived dialogue and told the story largely through image and sound, and devoted more of it's attention to action than actors. And the storyline aboard Mark Rylance's boat dispensed with conventional setup-and-resolution plot structure in favor of British stolidness in the face of overwhelming external forces.

It was really well made, but brutal. I don't think I need to see it again. My biggest issue is that the score only has one track called "Cat fell asleep on the keyboard".
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jul 2017, 09:15

Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 22:40
the score only has one track called "Cat fell asleep on the keyboard".
Sounds to me like you're saying that the movie was totally cute and adorable.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

nicole

Post by nicole » 22 Jul 2017, 10:02

Kolohe wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 19:45
I thought he was part of the Westworld production team, but it looks like it's only his brother.
He doesn't have a problem with TV made as TV, which he views as a different form.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 22 Jul 2017, 14:53

nicole wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 10:02
Kolohe wrote:
He doesn't have a problem with TV made as TV, which he views as a different form.
I have to side with Netflix on this. As I understand it they are willing to let the theaters show their stuff but not with a 30 day delay that the theaters want. There's also some serious cross marketing opportunity they could be exploiting.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Jul 2017, 16:51

Valerian was a dud. Amongst it's numerous problems were too many hanging wonder shots. Stuff looks cool but anything can look cool nowadays. That said, its universe's look is more visually exciting than the "perfected" look of the last two Star Wars movies.

The action scenes are pretty good and inventive, but outside of that, the direction is dull. Besson can't direct actors at all. Cara Delevingne has charisma and has done better than this, but she's also saddled with more scenes with things that aren't there.it makes her look bad. Dane DeHaan could get work as a Keanu Reeves impersonator, though he lacks Reeves' charisma. He could probably do Neo's voice in a cartoon version of the Matrix and you'd never know.

There was no need for the whole setpiece with Rihanna. Ethan Hawke was in there too, and I assume he has a gambling problem because it was such a shit part.

I saw this because I thought it might be entertaining but would probably be out of the theater in a week. I am confident I was right about one of those.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jul 2017, 17:35

Painboy wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 14:53
nicole wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 10:02
Kolohe wrote:
I have to side with Netflix on this. As I understand it they are willing to let the theaters show their stuff but not with a 30 day delay that the theaters want.
I view that as a sort of poison pill. They know that if people have the option of seeing something on the small screen for free, the only movies they will drop the big bucks required at the theater are going to be the visual spectacle movies.

Thing I find weird in the article is that I don't think he actually ever says why he thinks theater experience should be saved. Is it for the huge visuals? It doesn't take too many trips to the theater before you've paid for a very large flat screen TV that you can sit close to for the exact same visual experience- it's all just geometry.

That said, I did go opening night to the special roadshow version of the Hateful Eight and it was awesome. But I think even if Netflix does it's best to "disrupt" theaters I think those kind of boutique experiences will still be offered.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Jul 2017, 18:55

Even if it's geometry as far as screen angles, there's a difference in comfort in sitting 6 feet away from a 55" TV to get the same field of view.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of going to theaters, saying this as I'm going to go see Kiki's Delivery Service in a theater tomorrow night. They're almost always too loud, too sticky, and too many other people with a chance to ruin your experience. So I really never go see new release movies in theaters. Before these Ghibli films, the last two movies I saw were The Martian (trying a 3D film) and Star Wars:TFA, which we went to see at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

The theater experience can be great. Seeing Star Wars in a completely full theater in IMAX 70mm was that kind of special experience. Going to see Ghibli movies is partly going to see them with other people in the theater. That's a lot of the point, being part of a crowd that likes the same particular thing. Going to see Random Movie Opening This Week at the local multiplex is not that kind of experience.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Jul 2017, 20:30

*shrug* Rocky Horror Picture Show is still in theaters and yet the Academy continues to ignore it.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Jul 2017, 21:22

I think the last really enjoyable theater experience I had, where I was actually glad I saw it in a theater instead of at home, was watching The Matrix in a big, nearly-empty cinema on a weekday. And that was 1999.

Everyone knows the complaints about movie theaters, and those complaints are both absolutely correct and, apparently, only getting worse. We also know the real reason why Nolan and company focus so much on hyping the act of watching in theaters: it has nothing to do with art, but that how well their movies do in theaters is the biggest factor in their future career opportunities.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Jul 2017, 22:14

What's wrong with movie theaters? They're sort of expensive?

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jul 2017, 22:27

I don't have a home theater. Going to the movies can be a huge improvement on the experience for me.
It can be, but it isn't always. The digital projection of LA LA Land was absolute shit. Seeing as it's an hour's drive to the theater, I'm more than disappointed when it isn't worth the trip.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Jul 2017, 00:54

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 22:14
Yeah I'm a little confused by this as well. Almost every theater out there has converted to nice comfortable seating. The one I went to last weekend had reclining chairs and reserved seating. The loudness can be an issue I guess but it's never been so loud to be uncomfortable. If you don't like the crowds go in on a Sunday morning.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Jul 2017, 01:04

There are some things I'd rather see on the big screen. The immersive experience is one I enjoy.

On the other hand, theaters are expensive and I have to find a babysitter if I want to go, so I rarely do see anything in a theater.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Jul 2017, 03:23

The surviving movie theater chains have upgraded considerably over the last decade or so. The reclining seats are nice, though I have mixed feeling about assigned seating. The food offerings are better, though I still prefer popcorn and a coke. If digital hasn't completely overtaken 35mm film projection, it's only a matter of time. I get the arguments in favor of film, especially for archival purposes (ditto magnetic tape masters of music), but I see little difference now between film projection and digital from the POV of the average theater attendee, i.e., me.

Going to the theater is something you can do alone or in groups. I don't get why some people feel funny about going to the theater alone. What? Afraid someone might see them? The experience is more immersive than any home theater most of us could afford or would be willing to buy and sometimes it's fun to see a new release in a crowded theater, the audience providing part of the ambience. I, too, fail to see the problem.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jul 2017, 06:32

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
The expensiveness is the least of it. The crowding, the noise of other people (no matter what your feelings on Serenity were, I didn't need some couple cackling through the whole scene after Wash died), the ringing phones...It becomes a serious question of "How the Hell is this better than just waiting to see this movie in my own home, how and when I want to?"

And really, I'm at a loss.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jul 2017, 08:05

I also kinda feel like blockbuster big screen type movies just aren't very good anymore. There was a time when I'd have been excited about seeing a Kong movie on a big screen. That seems like a long time ago.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jul 2017, 08:44

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 03:23
though I have mixed feeling about assigned seating.
I actually think this is a fantastic new feature- it's the only weapon we have against the whole movie starts at 9 but *really* doesn't start until 9:20-25 and the intrusion of ads before the movie. With reserved seating, you don't have to arrive early and subject yourself to more ads just because you want a decent seat.

But yeah, we only go a few times a year, and it's gotta be something special. Or if it's summer and we're in desperate need of A/C.

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Jul 2017, 10:03

Painboy wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 00:54
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Yeah I'm a little confused by this as well. Almost every theater out there has converted to nice comfortable seating. The one I went to last weekend had reclining chairs and reserved seating. The loudness can be an issue I guess but it's never been so loud to be uncomfortable. If you don't like the crowds go in on a Sunday morning.
For me it's always, at some point, so loud it's uncomfortable. And even the old non-reclining seats were comfortable enough, you just had to peel yourself off them when you were done, like you do with new ones. And the floor. And the bathrooms of the last three different theaters I've been in have ranged from "unpleasant" to "awful".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."