What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by dhex »

counter-hypothesis: i have almost zero nostalgia, and see things as they are.

red dawn is beautiful. ferris beuller is a proto hipster (in the 21c sense of the term) piece of crap.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JD

Post by JD »

MACHETE!!!!!

"Machete don't text."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dhex wrote:counter-hypothesis: i have almost zero nostalgia, and see things as they are.

red dawn is beautiful. ferris beuller is a proto hipster (in the 21c sense of the term) piece of crap.
Well, none probably dare call Ferris Beuller art, but then art is almost always an accident in a commercial movie, anyway. I like the movie, which is about all the defense a piece of entertainment requires, and I've enjoyed introducing both my sons to it. It is, of course, escapism of the most obvious variety -- although I suspect a film studies major somewhere could write a thesis comparing Ferris's peregrinations to the Odyssey -- but so what? I have nothing against contrived plots and directorial manipulation of the audience's emotions (a requirement in comedies, anyway) as long as it's pulled off well. I think it was. I note, not that we aesthetes let the tastes of the masses affect us in these matters, that it was the 10th highest grossing movie of 1986 and that it has remained a popular movie rental ever since. Besides, Ferris is a righteous dude.
Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram »

I must confess, I've never seen Ferris Beuller. I'm not sure if I've missed something.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

And if people want to get all persnickety about the art qualities of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, you can always distract them with the kooky revisionist angle - ie, the story still makes sense if you assume either Ferris or Cameron don't actually exist. :)

(Myself, I liked the movie.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
dhex

Post by dhex »

i like bad movies - i am probably an enemy of "cinema" as it were - but there's bad and there's bad. (it's actually a distinction that plagues the mst3k people, to pull some disparate threads together)
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Isaac Bartram wrote:I must confess, I've never seen Ferris Beuller. I'm not sure if I've missed something.
It depends. If you're a sporto, motorhead, geek, slut, blood, wastoid, dweebie, or dickhead, you're likely to enjoy it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

dhex wrote:i like bad movies - i am probably an enemy of "cinema" as it were - but there's bad and there's bad. (it's actually a distinction that plagues the mst3k people, to pull some disparate threads together)
How are they plagued by it? They pick bad movies that are entertaining, not the bad movies that commit the sin of being dull.
Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy »

dhex wrote:i like bad movies - i am probably an enemy of "cinema" as it were - but there's bad and there's bad. (it's actually a distinction that plagues the mst3k people, to pull some disparate threads together)
I agree, but probably draw the line differently. I enjoy the MST3K treatment, especially for films that are just good enough to be mildly entertaining on their own ("Teenagers from Outer Space", "Time Chasers", "Whatever the Movie with all the Battlestar Galactica footage and Canadians being tossed off of railing was") and appreciated for the sheer badness, but bad enough to warrant mocking.

The first time I realized people were still making movies like that was when I saw Solar Crisis. I wanted to start quipping.

Red Dawn is indeed a symphony of badness, though with a you-had-to-be-there awesomeness to it (i.e., you had to be politically conscious during the Reagan era). Ferris Beuhler is kind of meh, though it had style. Mostly because Ferris is just an asshole and I lose interest in his battle with PedoPrincipal. It had style, though it grated on me after a bit.

Nowadays I get that off of caught-on-tape clipshows from FX with the metro hollywood guy trying to sound all butch narrating.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Of similar flicks I found Risky Business to be much, much more enjoyable. Also, Tangerine Dream.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Sandy wrote: "Whatever the Movie with all the Battlestar Galactica footage and Canadians being tossed off of railing was"
Space Mutiny. And its South African.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote: "Whatever the Movie with all the Battlestar Galactica footage and Canadians being tossed off of railing was"
Space Mutiny. And its South African.
Well, historically speaking, South Africa and Canada are almost indistinguishable. Just ask Rowsdauer.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I actually just caught Final Justice last night ("Hey Malta, get a tree!"). Was Mitchell Joel's last episode? Cause god damn that was a good one.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JD

Post by JD »

Yes, Mitchell was Joel's last episode. And yes, it was a good one. I did, BTW, think there were a few movies that were unsalvageable by MST3K, mostly because they committed the sin of being dull and completely incomprehensible.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dhex

Post by dhex »

How are they plagued by it? They pick bad movies that are entertaining, not the bad movies that commit the sin of being dull.
i'd say the vast majority of what they picked wasn't going to be funny for more than ten minutes. but i am not a fan, so, yeah.
Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

Save Ferris!
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Generally I think you are right, but The Killer Shrews might disagree with you there. As the MST3K jokesters point out,the characters spend most of the movie sitting in a house, talking and pouring themselves drinks while beseiged by mangily costumed collies. But MST3K makes it etertaining anyway.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JD wrote:MACHETE!!!!!

"Machete don't text."
"Machete improvises!"
Shem

Post by Shem »

I was going to skip Machete until the Family Movie Guide reviewed it:
Family Movie Guide wrote:Evil, rotten, disgusting, humanist, nihilistic, Communist, politically correct, pro-revolution, pro-illegal immigration worldview with extreme Anti-Christian blasphemy and sacrilege (including a corrupt priest), racist elements, anti-white elements, anti-American, and anti-capitalist content, radical feminist elements, overt discussion of incest, and other anti-family content
Now I have to see it.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Shem wrote:I was going to skip Machete until the Family Movie Guide reviewed it:
More or less amusing than the CAP Reports?

http://www.capalert.
com/capreports/
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Shem wrote:I was going to skip Machete until the Family Movie Guide reviewed it:
Family Movie Guide wrote:Evil, rotten, disgusting, humanist, nihilistic, Communist, politically correct, pro-revolution, pro-illegal immigration worldview with extreme Anti-Christian blasphemy and sacrilege (including a corrupt priest), racist elements, anti-white elements, anti-American, and anti-capitalist content, radical feminist elements, overt discussion of incest, and other anti-family content
Now I have to see it.
They say incest is anti-family; I say it's all relative.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

On the one hand, an average episode of MST3K had a movie that was dumb in too consistent a manner to be entertainingly zinged for more than 15 minutes tops. On the other hand, MST3K had high peaks where individual scenes were just right and I still laugh every time I think about them.

I'm a uniter not a divider.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Now I have to see it.
CONSIDER THAT SHIT SIGGED SON!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Now I have to see it.
Thanks, but you know that's a very, very, very old joke.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Now I have to see it.
Thanks, but you know that's a very, very, very old joke.
But aren't you a very old poster? :twisted:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

RIP Claude Chabrol.

http://www.avclub.
com/articles/rip-claude-chabrol,45039/