What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by JD »

Speaking of sequels, I saw the latest Shrek movie the other week. It was actually much better than I'd expected. The plot is a little hackneyed - guy has midlife crisis, wishes everything were different, gets his wish only to realize too late the value of what he had - but the writing and acting are so spot-on they more than make up for it. A lot of the humor is aimed at adults, so much so that I think my girlfriend and I enjoyed it more than her 8-year-old nephew did.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I saw Inception today. It's been a while since I've seen a movie that makes you work so hard to keep track of whats going on but makes it so so worth the effort.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:I saw Inception today. It's been a while since I've seen a movie that makes you work so hard to keep track of whats going on but makes it so so worth the effort.
So, does the top stop spinning or not?
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I saw Inception today. It's been a while since I've seen a movie that makes you work so hard to keep track of whats going on but makes it so so worth the effort.
So, does the top stop spinning or not?
It doesn't.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Shem

Post by Shem »

Saw The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It was not horrible. Decent little adventure movie, a la the National Treasures series.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Shem wrote:Saw The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It was not horrible. Decent little adventure movie, a la the National Treasures series.
Is it worth my money or should I wait for it on video?
Shem

Post by Shem »

I wouldn't make a special trip just to see it, but if you find yourself wanting to go to the movies anyway and trying to figure out which one to see, it's not a bad option.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

OK, I've gotta ask - did you like the matrix for more than cool FX and/or Carrie Ann Moss?

I have heard far too many people say "The only thing that blew my mind more was The Matrix!!!@11!32!"

This is a strong indicator of either extreme youth when The Matrix was released, or SF history fail. What pisses me off is that no one is making the kids today go back and watch old Twilight Zones. Seriously, The Matrix was groundbreaking only for pairing leather trenchcoats with Chemical Brothers/Meat Beat Manifesto and an infinite number of guns shot in slow motion. I enjoyed it. It was cool. But that shit didn't blow my mind in Total Recall. Or even Brazil (other shit blew my mind there).
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

*shrug* Matrix had good special effects. And good fight scenes--what happened to their choreographer between 1 and 2?

But if you want your mind properly blown you have to see Primer.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

What I liked about the Matrix was how open it was to interpretation. I TA'd a freshman comp course where we taught six different flavors of metaphysics and political philosophy through the framework of the Matrix. Also Hugo Weaving.

Inception used visual effects to help convey a complex multi-layered narrative. Nolan cut his teeth making non-linear stories more interesting through the use of creative editing. It was nice to see him shift gears a little with Inception. Though he rarely coaxes really good performances out of his actors, he makes up for it with fairly punchy dialogue and treating his audiences more or less like adults. Also, Ellen Page in business formal attire.

For the record, Carrie Moss looks like a guy. NTTAWWT if that's what you're in to.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Saw Inception last night. Some good ideas but not very well executed. Not helped by the awful sound in the cinema I was in. Acting was mediocre (and sometimes outright poor) and the characters and plot were not compelling. I never felt that much was at stake or that I should really care. Gets ~ 6/10 on the Cooper Scale.

Would love to see a vintage Cronenberg take on the subject matter - heads hideously mutating and exploding from the power of implanted ideas. :) Time to watch Videodrome again!

BTW, Ellen Page is a 12 yo boy with stubby legs. Dull actress too.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dbcooper wrote:Time to watch Videodrome again!
What's that you were saying about mediocre acting and dull plotting?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

dbcooper wrote:Saw Inception last night. Some good ideas but not very well executed. Not helped by the awful sound in the cinema I was in. Acting was mediocre (and sometimes outright poor) and the characters and plot were not compelling. I never felt that much was at stake or that I should really care. Gets ~ 6/10 on the Cooper Scale.
I found the effects quite good, the story above-average, and overall thought it was very well-crafted. The only part I didn't find all that great was the snow fortress bit. For whatever reason, I tend to lose interest during Nolan's Big Action Scenes. Otherwise, I think it will be like The Prestige where I can watch it over and over again just to enjoy the craftsmanship.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Andrew wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Saw Inception last night. Some good ideas but not very well executed. Not helped by the awful sound in the cinema I was in. Acting was mediocre (and sometimes outright poor) and the characters and plot were not compelling. I never felt that much was at stake or that I should really care. Gets ~ 6/10 on the Cooper Scale.
I found the effects quite good, the story above-average, and overall thought it was very well-crafted. The only part I didn't find all that great was the snow fortress bit. For whatever reason, I tend to lose interest during Nolan's Big Action Scenes. Otherwise, I think it will be like The Prestige where I can watch it over and over again just to enjoy the craftsmanship.
The Snow Fortress was definitely the worst bit. Total snooze and difficult to tell who was who.
JD

Post by JD »

Saw Despicable Me the other day - actually really good, a very pleasant surprise.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
mediageek

Post by mediageek »

For the record, Carrie Moss looks like a guy. NTTAWWT if that's what you're in to.
You need to watch Fido. She does not look like a dude in that movie.
Palin/Camacho 2012
dhex

Post by dhex »

i'd give carrie moss a handy.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JD wrote:Saw Despicable Me the other day - actually really good, a very pleasant surprise.
Just saw it. A meh kids' movir, though there was one great throwaway:

When the provillanist* goes to the bank to get financing for his plot to steal the moon, the sign on the door reads:

THE BANK OF EVIL
(Formery Lehmen Bros)

*OK. You come up with a term for a villain is the hero of the movie. "Antihero" doesn't cut it in this case.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

dhex wrote:i'd give carrie moss a handy.
Why would she need a cell phone?
dhex

Post by dhex »

that must be some west coast slang. best coast? i think not.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Handy is the German term for cell phone.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Watched Shitter Island, sorry that's Shutter Island - pretty freakin' mediocre. 5/10. Hope that TV series is better Mr Scorcese.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Not particularly new, but finally saw Inglourious Basterds - this time without Russian subtitles during the non-English parts.

Tarantino is beginning to get like Lynch* for me - makes great scenes but it just doesn't come all together.

*e.g. Mulholland Drive
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

dhex wrote:that must be some west coast slang. best coast? i think not.
Ooooooh. Good thing the east coast is still the least coast.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

The Expendables lives up to its title. That said, my son and I enjoyed munching popcorn and watching the explosions, chase scenes, carnage and quippery run their course. Contrary to what one would gather from his demeanor, Stallone is a good writer and a fair director and, at least for us old guys, it was fun to watch those old guys enjoy the romp.