What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Aresen

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Aresen »

I enjoyed the Foundation series - the initial 3 books - mainly because I was a hard science geek. At the time, I thought the concept of a 'science' of history was fascinating. Little did I realize at the time that the story was basically the fall of the Byzantine Empire set in space.

Asimov's characters were a little lifeless - all too rational and lacking emotion.

It wasn't too noticeable in the Foundation series, but he could get preachy on social issues.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 10:55 Asimov's characters were a little lifeless - all too rational and lacking emotion.
That's actually what I liked about Clarke's characters.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I've read most of Asimov's science fiction, and the original Foundation trilogy is dry AF compared to his usual writing.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JD

Post by JD »

Asimov's Foundation books always seemed like the kind of thing I would like, but whenever I tried to read one I bounced off it. Maybe I'll try again one of these days.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Present me traveling forward thinks that Nolan movies are complex and Tenet will require multiple viewings to really get and appreciate what he's up to. But future me traveling backwards assures me that no, it's actually just a bad movie.

In addition to not adequately presenting the premise through visual storytelling, the dialogue did nothing to clarify what was going on, and the sound editors did nothing to clarify the dialogue. Nolan has really bought into the combination of dialogue and music that assures us we don't need to concern ourselves with what people are saying.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman