What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27284
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Warren » 28 Aug 2019, 15:07

I can't help you either Hugh. I don't know how many times I've seen it, but with the big screen, surround sound, and recliner seats, regulate a little interstate commerce and I'm there.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13800
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Aug 2019, 22:30

Hell, I'm very tempted. I just wish the days weren't Sunday and Wednesday.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28451
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by thoreau » 15 Sep 2019, 02:17

We enjoyed Hustlers. I know the press is raving about Jennifer Lopez's performance, but I thought Constance Wu stole the show.

And I could swear that we had a gryll discussion of the real-life events that inspired the movie, but I can't find the thread now.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18187
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Sep 2019, 21:05

Ad Astra was technically well made, but if I'm gonna watch a space opera about toxic masculinity I want some characters that I can relate to, or at least some lightsabers. Also, SPACE FORCE!
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16104
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Aresen » 29 Sep 2019, 01:02

I have never watched the Downton Abbey TV series, but a friend persuaded me to go to the movie version tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was witty and well acted.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14035
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Kolohe » 29 Sep 2019, 13:42

Aresen wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 01:02
I have never watched the Downton Abbey TV series, but a friend persuaded me to go to the movie version tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was witty and well acted.
I also saw it yesterday evening. The parts was certainly better than the sum of the whole.



This SNL skit wss last night is on point, in that 1) there's a lot of cleaning & 2) i do now ask myself if the stakes were always that though. (There are tbf 2 'hi stakes' plot lines, one of which is executed well (Thomas's) one of which is not (Branson's)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18962
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Oct 2019, 15:15

I'm going to go see Joker at 4 pm today. With any luck, I won't be gunned down in the theater and will post a mini-review later tonight.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16089
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by dhex » 04 Oct 2019, 12:55

Incelmania! Good luck.

Also when did this movie become like the terrorism moral panic event of the season? Is there vaping in it?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18962
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Oct 2019, 14:51

dhex wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:55
Incelmania! Good luck.

Also when did this movie become like the terrorism moral panic event of the season? Is there vaping in it?
No, only perfectly safe chain-smoking.

Phoenix was really, really good. The movie is, like, 98% him, so on that ground alone it's worth seeing. I mean, if you can avoid being murdered while watching. Taken as a whole, I have plenty of nits to pick with the film, not the least being some heavy-handed class warfare bullshit but, hey, it's a comic book drama, the competition has been weak this year and Phoenix ought to be picking up an Oscar next year.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27284
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Warren » 04 Oct 2019, 17:09

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 14:51
dhex wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:55
Incelmania! Good luck.

Also when did this movie become like the terrorism moral panic event of the season? Is there vaping in it?
No, only perfectly safe chain-smoking.

Phoenix was really, really good. The movie is, like, 98% him, so on that ground alone it's worth seeing. I mean, if you can avoid being murdered while watching. Taken as a whole, I have plenty of nits to pick with the film, not the least being some heavy-handed class warfare bullshit but, hey, it's a comic book drama, the competition has been weak this year and Phoenix ought to be picking up an Oscar next year.
Oscars so homicidal!
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24827
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Mo » 04 Oct 2019, 18:04

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
dhex wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:55
Incelmania! Good luck.

Also when did this movie become like the terrorism moral panic event of the season? Is there vaping in it?
No, only perfectly safe chain-smoking.

Phoenix was really, really good. The movie is, like, 98% him, so on that ground alone it's worth seeing. I mean, if you can avoid being murdered while watching. Taken as a whole, I have plenty of nits to pick with the film, not the least being some heavy-handed class warfare bullshit but, hey, it's a comic book drama, the competition has been weak this year and Phoenix ought to be picking up an Oscar next year.
Interesting. What do you think of the critics that say that it’s dull? I was surprised that the negative reviews weren’t ideological, but that there wasn’t much meat there aside from being a poor comic book version homage to The King of Comedy.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18962
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Oct 2019, 18:18

Mo wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 18:04
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
dhex wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:55
Incelmania! Good luck.

Also when did this movie become like the terrorism moral panic event of the season? Is there vaping in it?
No, only perfectly safe chain-smoking.

Phoenix was really, really good. The movie is, like, 98% him, so on that ground alone it's worth seeing. I mean, if you can avoid being murdered while watching. Taken as a whole, I have plenty of nits to pick with the film, not the least being some heavy-handed class warfare bullshit but, hey, it's a comic book drama, the competition has been weak this year and Phoenix ought to be picking up an Oscar next year.
Interesting. What do you think of the critics that say that it’s dull? I was surprised that the negative reviews weren’t ideological, but that there wasn’t much meat there aside from being a poor comic book version homage to The King of Comedy.
It's definitely a slow burn and, insofar as you know, more or less, what's coming, I can see why some critics would pan the movie, itself. It's a bit disjointed and there are definitely some dull patches if what you're looking for is standard action movie pacing. So, yeah. I'm only praising the performance.

It's been years since I saw "The King of Comedy" but the allusions certainly weren't lost on me. I don't recall being all that impressed with TKOC, to tell the truth, but maybe I should give it another look. Anyway, I'm not saying Phoenix is the equal of De Niro or that his Joker was definitely better than Ledger's Joker or even Nicholson's Joker, but his Joker is the entire movie, start to coda, and he delivers a larger, richer character if for no other reason than that the movie is all about him.

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3112
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Number 6 » 04 Oct 2019, 21:55

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 14:51
dhex wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:55
Incelmania! Good luck.

Also when did this movie become like the terrorism moral panic event of the season? Is there vaping in it?
No, only perfectly safe chain-smoking.

Phoenix was really, really good. The movie is, like, 98% him, so on that ground alone it's worth seeing. I mean, if you can avoid being murdered while watching. Taken as a whole, I have plenty of nits to pick with the film, not the least being some heavy-handed class warfare bullshit but, hey, it's a comic book drama, the competition has been weak this year and Phoenix ought to be picking up an Oscar next year.
I was impressed by both the performance and the movie. It's very much a slow burn, and it's clear that the makers were going for something very different, and more serious than most comic movies. I will say that I was shocked at how unremittingly bleak and nihilistic it is. Taxi Driver is probably the closest approximation.
It's very much worth seeing, though I would advise skipping it if you're seeking fun or uplift.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18187
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Oct 2019, 22:42

If not for Phoenix' incredible performance, I would be tempted to say the production design was the real star. The sets, costumes, props, hair & makeup, etc. superbly evoked the alienation and urban decay of urban America in the 70s. The only thing I didn't like about it was the score. That cello got old fast.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests