What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Aresen

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Aresen » 09 Jun 2018, 23:41

As a social obligation, I am seeing Solo on Monday night. MFSMHMOMS.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jun 2018, 23:47

Aresen wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:41
Oh come on!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Jun 2018, 23:53

Warren wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:47
Aresen wrote:
Oh come on!
Oh come on, what?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jun 2018, 00:15

Aresen wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:53
Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Oh come on!
Oh come on, what?
What is that alphabet soup suppose to add up to?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jun 2018, 00:19

Warren wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 00:15
Aresen wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:53
Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Oh come on!
Oh come on, what?
What is that alphabet soup suppose to add up to?
"May (the) Flying Spaghetti Monster Have Mercy On My Soul"

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Jul 2018, 23:56

Incredibles 2 is pretty fantastic. It's might be slightly more muddled than the first one as far as themes but it's very funny. I think it might have the best spit take ever put on film. Animation is fantastic, especially the facial nuances they manage to achieve. I also can't believe it's been 14 years since the original.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2018, 11:32

Painboy wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 23:56
Incredibles 2 is pretty fantastic. It's might be slightly more muddled than the first one as far as themes but it's very funny. I think it might have the best spit take ever put on film. Animation is fantastic, especially the facial nuances they manage to achieve. I also can't believe it's been 14 years since the original.
Agreed. Needs more Edna Mode though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 09 Jul 2018, 15:17

Saw Hereditary the other night. It's hard to know how to review it. It's excellently made; the writing and directing and acting are all excellent. And it's a great example of a true "horror" movie, in that it's not just "oh noes, an undead killer is chopping up campers with a machete" or whatever, but real emotional horror and despair.

But it's not an "enjoyable" movie, for exactly that reason. It's just really hard to watch. About halfway through the movie, I was saying, "So where are we going with this? This whole movie just seems to be about really unpleasant things happening to not-very-sympathetic people." And it does eventually come together, in a very deep, well-constructed way, but it never gets any easier. It's a rare very-well-made movie that I really don't want to see again.

Discussion of plot points follows:
Gb zr, gur ovt vffhrf ner: jnf Puneyvr n ubfg sbe Cnvzba (nccneragyl lrf), ohg vs fb, jul/jura qvq fur orpbzr gur ubfg?

Vs fur orpnzr ubfg nsgre Ryyra'f qrngu, zl dhrfgvba gura vf jul qvq vg cnff gb ure, naq abg gb Crgre, jub jnf gur hygvzngr tbny? Vs fur orpnzr ubfg ng n irel rneyl ntr (juvpu vf pregnvayl vzcyvrq ol fbzr guvatf va gur zbivr, naq pbasvezrq ol gur zbivrznxref), gura zl dhrfgvba ntnva vf jul ure naq abg Crgre? Naavr fnlf gung fur xrcg Crgre njnl sebz ure zbgure...ohg Ryyra jnf nebhaq jura Puneyvr jnf na vasnag, naq Crgre jbhyq unir bayl orra nebhaq 3 be 4 gura, zhpu lbhatre rira guna Puneyvr vf qhevat gur riragf bs gur zbivr. Vg qbrfa'g frrz yvxr vg jbhyq unir orra uneq gb gnxr bire n fznyy puvyq.

N ahzore bs fbheprf frrz gb fgngr gung Puneyvr unf rssrpgviryl nyjnlf orra Cnvzba - cbffvoyl rira sebz orsber ure ovegu. BX, ohg gura V'z fgvyy jbaqrevat jul gur phyg jnvgrq nobhg 13 lrnef gb gel naq trg Cnvzba vagb Crgre'f obql. Vg frrzf yvxr Ryyra'f qrngu jnf va fbzr jnl n pngnylfg sbe gur riragf bs gur zbivr, ohg vg'f abg pyrne jul be ubj.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jul 2018, 16:00

JD wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 15:17
Saw Hereditary the other night. It's hard to know how to review it. It's excellently made; the writing and directing and acting are all excellent. And it's a great example of a true "horror" movie, in that it's not just "oh noes, an undead killer is chopping up campers with a machete" or whatever, but real emotional horror and despair.

But it's not an "enjoyable" movie, for exactly that reason. It's just really hard to watch. About halfway through the movie, I was saying, "So where are we going with this? This whole movie just seems to be about really unpleasant things happening to not-very-sympathetic people." And it does eventually come together, in a very deep, well-constructed way, but it never gets any easier. It's a rare very-well-made movie that I really don't want to see again.

Discussion of plot points follows:
Gb zr, gur ovt vffhrf ner: jnf Puneyvr n ubfg sbe Cnvzba (nccneragyl lrf), ohg vs fb, jul/jura qvq fur orpbzr gur ubfg?

Vs fur orpnzr ubfg nsgre Ryyra'f qrngu, zl dhrfgvba gura vf jul qvq vg cnff gb ure, naq abg gb Crgre, jub jnf gur hygvzngr tbny? Vs fur orpnzr ubfg ng n irel rneyl ntr (juvpu vf pregnvayl vzcyvrq ol fbzr guvatf va gur zbivr, naq pbasvezrq ol gur zbivrznxref), gura zl dhrfgvba ntnva vf jul ure naq abg Crgre? Naavr fnlf gung fur xrcg Crgre njnl sebz ure zbgure...ohg Ryyra jnf nebhaq jura Puneyvr jnf na vasnag, naq Crgre jbhyq unir bayl orra nebhaq 3 be 4 gura, zhpu lbhatre rira guna Puneyvr vf qhevat gur riragf bs gur zbivr. Vg qbrfa'g frrz yvxr vg jbhyq unir orra uneq gb gnxr bire n fznyy puvyq.

N ahzore bs fbheprf frrz gb fgngr gung Puneyvr unf rssrpgviryl nyjnlf orra Cnvzba - cbffvoyl rira sebz orsber ure ovegu. BX, ohg gura V'z fgvyy jbaqrevat jul gur phyg jnvgrq nobhg 13 lrnef gb gel naq trg Cnvzba vagb Crgre'f obql. Vg frrzf yvxr Ryyra'f qrngu jnf va fbzr jnl n pngnylfg sbe gur riragf bs gur zbivr, ohg vg'f abg pyrne jul be ubj.
I learned that lesson in my early days of buying DVDs. I would get movies that I enjoyed. Then I got The Ice Storm, and looked at it on the shelf every time I was looking for a movie to kill time with and at some point I realized that some films you will never ever be in a mood to re-watch.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2018, 16:10

I have decreasing tolerance for that kind of thing - like the entire oeuvre of Cormac McCarthy.

I feel media-squeezed at times - i'm crunched between completely trivial stuff, which is fun but not an every day food for me, and "serious" fare which tends to have this feature. The prestige series have been good for me that way as a generally in between space with notably better writing and characters but not necessarily all the doooom.

JD

Post by JD » 09 Jul 2018, 16:13

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:00
I learned that lesson in my early days of buying DVDs. I would get movies that I enjoyed. Then I got The Ice Storm, and looked at it on the shelf every time I was looking for a movie to kill time with and at some point I realized that some films you will never ever be in a mood to re-watch.
Interestingly enough, the theater (Alamo Drafthouse) played a trailer for The Ice Storm before Hereditary. I've never seen TIS, but my wife said she was puzzled by that choice before watching Hereditary but understood it completely afterwards.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 11 Jul 2018, 10:38

Saw Sorry To Bother You last night. It was fucking amazing. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the trailers, other than it would be weird, but I can only describe it as "urban sci-fi horror comedy". It doesn't have quite the filmmaking artistry of Hereditary, but it does a great job of storytelling and worldbuilding. There are pretty clear influences from:
- The Island of Doctor Moreau
- Metropolis
- Brazil
- Robocop
- Undercover Brother
- Idiocracy
and probably a whole lot more that I don't recognize. I also really appreciate the fact that while it would have been easy for the filmmakers to go in a simple "capitalism is evil" direction, they make it more nuanced than that - unions and the arts also come in for some jabs, and they never really blame anyone for selling out. It gets a little more shaky near the end, but I think the ending of a movie like this is always hard to do well. There are a few really great, spot-on scenes - the "rap" scene is particularly searing.