What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Jadagul » 16 Oct 2017, 20:36

Highway wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 20:26
Jadagul wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 19:25
How do you clean them, and how hard is it?
Well, they're shiny plastic, and most of the stuff they get on them is earwax, so you really just wipe them off with a tissue after you use them. If you need to wash them, you can take the little attenuator cartridge out (it's a small button, like a collar button) and you can then wash them however you want. If you get the attenuator wet, you need to replace it.

Okay, thanks.

I got some non-molded ones and they talked about washing them after every use to prevent ear infections, and that was just such a pain, with having to take the cartridges out and then waiting for them to dry.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Oct 2017, 20:45

I swear by these.
For some reason it's hard for me to get earplugs to seat properly in my ears. I can get the foam ones in right maybe one try in five. But these seat right the first time with just a push with my thumbs. Very convenient in an industrial setting where they hang on your neck when not in use and go on and off frequently.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 17 Oct 2017, 01:55

I use the silicone putty ones. Cheap, have limited reusability, and are also flatter attenuation than the foam ones. I seem to have larger than normal ear canals, so the foam ones have gaps.

Worth a try before you go the custom route, though I imagine those are far more comfortable.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 31 Oct 2017, 15:16

In this case, more like what's old at the Bijou, but probably coming to a theater near you there will be a 75th anniversary showing of Casablanca on November 12th and 15th.

FWIW, I love Casablanca but I don't think it's a good picture, I think it's a great bad picture. (Something I'd also say about, say, The Third Man.) Anyway, should be fun.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Nov 2017, 21:43

Has anyone peeped Ingrid Goes West? I'm trying to decide between waiting for availability on Netflix, paying $10 or more at a not so local theatre, or just buying it for $15 on Google play. Or other. Is it good? Does it have rewatchability?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

JD

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2017, 13:46

Last night I saw The Disaster Artist. It was really funny and did a great job of making Tommy Wiseau a tragicomic character. Minor gripe: Seth Rogen, you play the same damn character in every movie and it is not that interesting.

The movie was preceded by this spoof, which was pretty funny.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 15:19

It's a travesty of justice that Seth Rogen isn't working hourly.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Dec 2017, 00:07

Saw an advance screening of Molly's Game this evening. Thumb's up!

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Dec 2017, 02:03

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 00:07
*googles* Aww I was hoping it was about xtc.
0.05 seconds into the trailer and I'm out.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Dec 2017, 04:45

Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
You and your Jessica Chasdisdain.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Dec 2017, 10:21

lunchstealer wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 04:45
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
You and your Jessica Chasdisdain.
Aar... Wait. Whot?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Dec 2017, 18:10

It's a Jessica Chastain feature, and at 0.5s into the trailer, that's about all you could know about it, so for the sake of my portmanthusiasm, I assumed that was your objection.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot they plastered Sorkin all over the first 1.5s.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Dec 2017, 19:45

lunchstealer wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 18:10
It's a Jessica Chastain feature, and at 0.5s into the trailer, that's about all you could know about it, so for the sake of my portmanthusiasm, I assumed that was your objection.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot they plastered Sorkin all over the first 1.5s.
Roger roger. I read it as "Jessica Chase disdain", and I was all "who is Jessica Chase?"

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Dec 2017, 20:22

I am disappointed any time Aaron Sorkin pulls off a decent project, because I dearly love to see him being shit on.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Dec 2017, 01:48

Ellie wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 20:22
I am disappointed any time Aaron Sorkin pulls off a decent project, because I dearly love to see him being shit on.
His movies at least are hit and miss.
After watching the full trailer, this one could go either way. Won't see it in the theater at any rate.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Dec 2017, 02:50

Sorkin's a great writer. You don't like his politics? I'm there with you more often than not. But he's a great writer. That's not even conceivably debatable.

For that matter, I'm not sure what the hit on Jessica Chastain is. Again, her politics? Who cares? She's good in the movie. I don't know what she was in that she sucked in, but she's good in this movie.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Dec 2017, 05:29

No one is actually dissing Chastain. At her worst she’s doing well on a project she shouldn’t have taken. At her best she grabs your face and won’t let you look away for two hours.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Dec 2017, 18:24

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 02:50
Sorkin's a great writer. You don't like his politics? I'm there with you more often than not. But he's a great writer. That's not even conceivably debatable.
It's not his politics qua politics (I don't agree with those, but that's true of everyone in Hollywood). It's just that he's so SMUG. I feel like he thinks every single thing he writes is the insightful, clever truth that poor stupid America is thirsting for, and he's the only one brave and talented enough to deliver it.

I'm not saying that's a logical reaction to his body of work, but I gotta be me.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Dec 2017, 18:24

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 02:50

For that matter, I'm not sure what the hit on Jessica Chastain is. Again, her politics? Who cares? She's good in the movie. I don't know what she was in that she sucked in, but she's good in this movie.
You know what Ridgely? In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
It's a wonderful Grylliade.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 26 Dec 2017, 18:22

the innominate one wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 21:43
Has anyone peeped Ingrid Goes West? I'm trying to decide between waiting for availability on Netflix, paying $10 or more at a not so local theatre, or just buying it for $15 on Google play. Or other. Is it good? Does it have rewatchability?
Just watched last night. I was disappointed, but I can't say if that's because my expectations were high (and I wasn't really expecting what it was; I thought "aubrey plaza" means comedy, but it's really pretty awkward cringey depressing). I would describe it as a movie with its heart and ideas in the right place but poor fleshing out. Too much implausibility in the characters' behavior.

Warren wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 02:03
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
*googles*
Had to google this as well- Molly Bloom? The flower of the mountain indeed.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Dec 2017, 21:33

Thanks, d_e.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jan 2018, 17:20

dead_elvis wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 18:22
I thought "aubrey plaza" means comedy, but it's really pretty awkward cringey depressing).
That actually seems appropriate for Aubrey Plaza.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jan 2018, 16:32

Saw Shape of Water last night.

Entirely predictable, but it made up for it by being absurdly heavy handed. Noting that I recognized actors from both Take Shelter and A Serious Man, I spent most of the movie wishing that the people who wrote *those* movies had written this one.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Feb 2018, 21:40

Aresen wrote:
25 Aug 2016, 10:45
Saw Kubo and the Two Strings the other day. I highly recommend it just for the esthetics of the animation. I think it would be good for children. Much better than the usual 'pew-pew-bang-bang' stuff that is out there.
Finally got to see this the other day. Aside from McConnawhatsit being distractingly McConnawhatsit, it was very very good. Imaginative. Looks like they did a mix of practical stop-motion with computer animation such that I could never figure out which was which, and it has a completely different look than anything else I've seen. Refreshing change from Pixar. Not that Pixar is bad, but I'm glad someone is doing something different.

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Feb 2018, 22:42

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 21:40
Aresen wrote:
25 Aug 2016, 10:45
Saw Kubo and the Two Strings the other day. I highly recommend it just for the esthetics of the animation. I think it would be good for children. Much better than the usual 'pew-pew-bang-bang' stuff that is out there.
Finally got to see this the other day. Aside from McConnawhatsit being distractingly McConnawhatsit, it was very very good. Imaginative. Looks like they did a mix of practical stop-motion with computer animation such that I could never figure out which was which, and it has a completely different look than anything else I've seen. Refreshing change from Pixar. Not that Pixar is bad, but I'm glad someone is doing something different.
I enjoyed it as well. And a lot of the thing with a specific non-realistic style like that is you can do it as CG without it being too obvious.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."