What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Pham Nuwen

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Pham Nuwen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Shem wrote:I was going to skip Machete until the Family Movie Guide reviewed it:
Family Movie Guide wrote:Evil, rotten, disgusting, humanist, nihilistic, Communist, politically correct, pro-revolution, pro-illegal immigration worldview with extreme Anti-Christian blasphemy and sacrilege (including a corrupt priest), racist elements, anti-white elements, anti-American, and anti-capitalist content, radical feminist elements, overt discussion of incest, and other anti-family content
Now I have to see it.
They say incest is anti-family; I say it's all relative.
CONSIDER THAT SHIT SIGGED SON!!
Thanks, but you know that's a very, very, very old joke.
Need I remind you I live in Mississippi? No seems to like jokes about incest down here. I wonder why.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
rana

Post by rana »

Iron Man 2 sucks. It sucks so hard.
Im dissapointed because I really enjoyed the first Iron Man.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

rana wrote:Iron Man 2 sucks. It sucks so hard.
Im dissapointed because I really enjoyed the first Iron Man.
Ah, well, you see, you're not the intended audience because, your avatar aside, you're not a superhero fanboy drooling at the prospect of an Avengers movie and setting said movie up while cashing in on the success of the first film is all Iron Man 2 is about.

I know it's tedious for me to keep saying this but (1) whenever a movie rises to the level of art, hell, whenever it rises to the level of "good movie," it's mostly accidental; and (2) the important word in the phrase "motion picture industry" is "industry."
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:(1) whenever a movie rises to the level of art, hell, whenever it rises to the level of "good movie," it's mostly accidental;
The biggest accident seems to be when a movie is produced with a specific story in mind, rather than produced with the intention of cashing in on a trend.
D.A. Ridgely wrote: and (2) the important word in the phrase "motion picture industry" is "industry."
"Industry" implies an ability to produce a product of reliable quality on a regular basis, as does "craft" - the other most commonly used word to describe the process of making films.

Hollywood does not reliably produce quality pictures. And never has - "the Golden Age" saw the same proportion of turkeys produced as we see today. It is just that the bad ones have been mercifully forgotten by everyone except a few critics who pretend to see virtues in bad films that happened to have a favored actor or director involved in the production.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

Saw The Social Network this weekend. The dialog was good, but also very Sorkin-esque. If you ignore the connection to real life, it's really good.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I would not add True Grit to the list of movies that the Coen Bros. nailed.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I saw True Grit last night and enjoyed it, though I wouldn't say I loved it. There's nothing I can point to wrong with it, it just wasn't quite ... whatever. I tend to have an ambivalent relationship with Coen brothers movies anyway.

I did love love love hearing my girl Iris DeMent doing the song at the end, though.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Timothy

Post by Timothy »

Saw Black Swan last night. Thought it was good, need to see The Wrestler to round-out my Aronovsky viewing, been a fan since Pi.

Also Mila Kunis/Natalie Portman make-out scene rivals Mullholand Dr for hottest weird girl/girl action in mainstream cinema.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I wasn't impressed with Black Swan for several reasons. First, the neurotic turning into psychotic artistic or show business wannabe ain't what I'd call an original plot and Black Swan added nothing to that genre. Second, although I am reliably informed Portman will get the Best Actress Oscar, I found her over the top acting in the portrayal of an over the top character underwhelming.

I really liked The Wrestler, but I'm a fan of Rourk whose gladness at seeing his career resurrected doubtlessly prejudiced my judgment.

I'm also reliably informed The Social Network will get Best Picture. Given the basic plot of intellectual property litigation (regardless of how it's being viewed as a defining generational movie), also done many times before, I nonetheless liked it more than I expected to. But mostly because I enjoyed the snarky dialog. It was not, in any case, anywhere near as good a movie as The King's Speech, IMNSHO.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:I'm also reliably informed The Social Network will get Best Picture. Given the basic plot of intellectual property litigation (regardless of how it's being viewed as a defining generational movie), also done many times before, I nonetheless liked it more than I expected to. But mostly because I enjoyed the snarky dialog. It was not, in any case, anywhere near as good a movie as The King's Speech, IMNSHO.
(emphasis added)

What?

No, really, what?

I certainly think that dead-inside-genius takes over the world because he can't talk to girls has been done before, and shows that Sorkin is great at writing imaginative dialogue but only for stock/archetypal characters, but I can't think of

Oh, wait, you were being funny and ironic, right? Or am I just that clueless?
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I also saw Black Swan last night, and I felt like I didn't like it, but I also feel like I want to analyze it, so obviously it made an impression.

Dislike: If a director wants to play games with hallucination vs. reality, at some point there should be some way for the viewer to figure out, at least in hindsight, what actually was happening. I know that certain things were definitely hallucination (e.g. the sex scene with Lily, or killing Lily) but other things are never really resolved. For instance, how much of her interaction with her mother was real? And when did she stab herself? It couldn't have been in the dressing room, because in her final dance scene there's no blood on her costume before she makes the jump. Likewise, how much of her interaction with Thomas was imagined? A story in which the guy really is that awful and creepy would have merits, as would a story in which she's imagining it, but we never know.

Analysis: I think there's a plausible argument to be made that Lily was entirely a hallucination, or at least an argument to be made that every one of Nina's interactions with Lily was a hallucination. The only scene in which Lily was unambiguously interacting with characters who were simultaneously interacting with Nina was at the bar. And those guys at the bar were completely separate from the world in which the rest of the story took place--even the lighting and colors were different at the bar, with far less of the black-and-white theme.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Saw True Grit and enjoyed it. It wasn't an earthshattering new take or anything, but it was well executed and a reasonable update handled by good directors. Not the best Coenses movie, but better than most stuff.

It seems to me like movies are mostly terrible these days. I like anything that shows restraint of any kind because it's so rare.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Saw The Men Who Stare at Goats. It was very entertaining. Not earthshattering, but fun.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Saw Winter's Bone. Good flick. It's a low simmer the whole time, but in the world of Michael Bay, I like that.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

JasonL wrote:Saw Winter's Bone. Good flick. It's a low simmer the whole time, but in the world of Michael Bay, I like that.
I enjoyed it, but to me it was more like the first two acts of a good movie. Would've made two good episodes of cable TV.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Oh, I think Winter's Bone is an excellent little movie in more or less the same way The King's Speech is an excellent little movie, the only difference being that the latter is bolstered by star power actors and major studio production values. And I damn sure think Jennifer Lawrence deserves the Oscar over Natalie Portman, although I'm reliably informed that if Portman doesn't win Best Actress there will be audible gasps in the audience on Oscar night.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I won't thay that Thor wath a bad movie, but it definitely wath'nt my kind of movie. People who enjoyed LOTR/Harry Potter/Narnia might enjoy the CGI spectacle and battle scenes. The only really well realized character was Loki, who was also perfectly cast. Seemed like a waste of a perfectly good Stellan Skarsgaard, but then what isn't these days?
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:I won't thay that Thor wath a bad movie, but it definitely wath'nt my kind of movie.
Thufferin' Thuccotash!

ETA: I liked it. Not "Oh, wow, you've got to go see this!" But I felt I got my %$##@! $15 worth. Then again, I came of age during the Silver Age of comics, aka, the first great Marvel era, so there's a strong nostalgia hook for me. I'm frankly surprised, however, that my younger son, a sixteen year old, knows as much about the Marvel universe (or DC for that matter) as he does. (Speaking of which, neither of us understood the post-credits teaser references even after I subsequently googled Cosmic Cube.)

Oh, and was a law passed recently requiring Natalie Portman to be in every other movie?
Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Oh, and was a law passed recently requiring Natalie Portman to be in every other movie?
When they repealed the Tommy Lee Jones-Will Smith Act.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I give Pirates of the Caribbean 4 a pretty solid B as a popcorn movie. And by what other standard could one possibly judge it? A bit long at 2hr 20 min, but the convoluted, entirely absurd and nonetheless enjoyable plot kept moving along, so I never got the feeling the movie was really dragging. I saw it in 2-D, which is how God intended people to watch movies. Is it all wearing mighty thin? Yep. Can't say it left me hoping for a fifth movie, but I felt I got my money's worth.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The new X-Men movie is the most comic book comic book movie I have seen to date.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Hugh Akston wrote:The new X-Men movie is the most comic book comic book movie I have seen to date.
That means that it was really bad?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dbcooper wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:The new X-Men movie is the most comic book comic book movie I have seen to date.
That means that it was really bad?
No. If I wanted to say that, I would have described it as the most comic book movie comic book movie I have seen to date.
the innominate one

Post by the innominate one »

Look, Hugh, if you and dhex are going have an incomprehensible metaphor contest, then it will be like a horse painting a butterfly using cottage cheese as a medium.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex