What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 22:44
I could go for a multi-year holiday from hearing hot takes about how every movie will fit or not fit the current political zeitgeist.
That's worth spending a wish on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 22:42
Jadagul wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 22:16
I wish people would put off sharing their opinions and postmortems on films at least until the films actually come out and the people have seen them.
Star Wars?

Yes.

Like, I've seen a bunch of pieces about what the fact that this movie is bad says about society.

No one has seen the fucking movie! How do you know if it's good?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Critics have seen it. Are they the ones making pronouncements about society or just some internet randos with ideological axes to grind going off the critics reviews?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Hugh Akston wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 00:41
Critics have seen it. Are they the ones making pronouncements about society or just some internet randos with ideological axes to grind going off the critics reviews?
Well, the tweet that prompted that post was "You know how you're upset about the way they ruined the Star Wars movie in response to a bunch of fans whining?"

And like, no, I don't know that, because I haven't seen the fucking movie. And neither have the overwhelming majority of people in the tweet audience.

I'm okay with critics saying it's bad and then writing about why. I'm really skeptical of pieces premised on either the idea that everyone knows it's bad, or everyone dislikes it. Partly for the usual reasons, but also because everyone hasn't seen it and so doesn't have an opinion based on the actual film, you fucker!.

Like, my twitter timeline seems to be trying to establish a popular consensus that the movie sucks before it actually opens in theaters.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Jadagul wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 00:53
Hugh Akston wrote:
Well, the tweet that prompted that post was "You know how you're upset about the way they ruined the Star Wars movie in response to a bunch of fans whining?"

And like, no, I don't know that, because I haven't seen the fucking movie. And neither have the overwhelming majority of people in the tweet audience.

I'm okay with critics saying it's bad and then writing about why. I'm really skeptical of pieces premised on either the idea that everyone knows it's bad, or everyone dislikes it. Partly for the usual reasons, but also because everyone hasn't seen it and so doesn't have an opinion based on the actual film, you fucker!.

Like, my twitter timeline seems to be trying to establish a popular consensus that the movie sucks before it actually opens in theaters.
Very good Jadagul. That almost sounds like it was written by an actual human being with like emotions and thoughts.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jadagul wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

Yeah I'll agree with all of that. There was a similar effort prior to the release of Joker, which got no-kidding standing ovations at Cannes, but as it got closer to a wide release date, critics turned on it as a glorification of aggrieved white men and law enforcement characterized it as a call to arms for incels. But when it actually came out it turned out to be a big nothingburger. So the critical consensus now is that it is a terrible, derivative movie that pushes a toxic agenda, and critics seem to think that their consensus is our consensus, even though it has a very solid audience rating on IMDb.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 11:22
Jadagul wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

Yeah I'll agree with all of that. There was a similar effort prior to the release of Joker, which got no-kidding standing ovations at Cannes, but as it got closer to a wide release date, critics turned on it as a glorification of aggrieved white men and law enforcement characterized it as a call to arms for incels. But when it actually came out it turned out to be a big nothingburger. So the critical consensus now is that it is a terrible, derivative movie that pushes a toxic agenda, and critics seem to think that their consensus is our consensus, even though it has a very solid audience rating on IMDb.
I don't put much stock in IMDB scores. Over on Rotten Tomatoes, the critics rate it "fresh" but noticeably less fresh than the audience. While the "top critics" rate it "rotten". All of which likewise supports your thesis.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

That would be the same Rotten Tomatoes that at first scored the Chappelle special 0 while the audience reaction was 98%?

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 12:34
That would be the same Rotten Tomatoes that at first scored the Chappelle special 0 while the audience reaction was 98%?
Ayup. 35/99 as of this posting.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Is the Rotten Ratio a thing we can use like the Big Mac Index to monitor cultural segmentation in real time?

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 13:40
Is the Rotten Ratio a thing we can use like the Big Mac Index to monitor cultural segmentation in real time?
Well now that we have identified it as such, it will likely cease to function.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 23:38
Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 22:44
I could go for a multi-year holiday from hearing hot takes about how every movie will fit or not fit the current political zeitgeist.
That's worth spending a wish on.
Best ever comment on this phenomenon:
"Just finished my 7,000 word review of Joker. Can't wait to see the movie!"
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo »

Based on the reviews that I’ve seen so far of Cats, I want to start a collection for dhex to go see it and write his review on the gryll.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Mo wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 15:22
Based on the reviews that I’ve seen so far of Cats, I want to start a collection for dhex to go see it and write his review on the gryll.
I would contribute to that fund.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 16:56
Mo wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 15:22
I would contribute to that fund.
I'm good for my buck o' five.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Are we going to be able to afford the all drugs he's going to need?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 19:39
Are we going to be able to afford the all drugs he's going to need?
He said as if dhex wasn't fully stocked already
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

That's all well and good, but who's going to pay for the translator?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Not sure whether 1917 is one of those every war movie is an anti-war movie war movies, or an every war movie is a pro-war movie war movies, but it was pretty good. I've seen some reviews arguing that the single-take conceit detracts by turning the horrors of war into a ride, but I thought it did a good job of narrowing the focus to the perspective of the individual characters.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Salon gonna Salon
“1917” is a movie that perfectly fits President Donald Trump’s agenda, even if the filmmakers did not intend for that.
Strap in.
Since all of the major parties in World War I were nationalist, a movie like "1917" must acknowledge the inherent ambiguity of the conflict. Even if we are only being told a microcosmic story about two soldiers trying to survive a dangerous mission, we should still understand the larger tapestry in which those characters are mere threads. To do otherwise is to make war seem impersonal, like a natural disaster or a plague, rather than as an affliction caused by human beings — and for which people should be held accountable.
Part of the reason to use the one-shot structural conceit is to decontextualize the action from the larger tapestry.

I've never served in the military, and obviously this guy hasn't either. But one of the things I hear most consistently from people who have is that when you're out there, it's not about the country or the fight or even the mission, it's about the other guys in your unit; which is exactly what 1917 was about.

Also, when you've been conscripted into being a soldier, war is exactly an impersonal natural disaster. Also lol holding warmongers accountable.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

What's vexing about some of the discourse surounding this movie is that WW1 was the most elite leveling & decapitating thing in Europe since the Black Death.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 16:30
What's vexing about some of the discourse surounding this movie is that WW1 was the most elite leveling & decapitating thing in Europe since the Black Death.
How so?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

1) the absolutely highest casualty rates were the 20 something year old junior officers commissioned out of the landed gentry.
2) 3 longstanding autocratic empires completely collapsed, and a 4th autocratic relatively new empire/nation-state also had its government system replaced.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Kolohe wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 20:47
1) the absolutely highest casualty rates were the 20 something year old junior officers commissioned out of the landed gentry.
2) 3 longstanding autocratic empires completely collapsed, and a 4th autocratic relatively new empire/nation-state also had its government system replaced.
Also, the 'Great War' largely de-legitimized the establishments of the 'victorious' French, English and Italian nations.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

And the British Dominions (i.e. the whiter parts of the Empire) got even greater autonomy/independence in the wake of WWI, further weakening an imperial system.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo