What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Warren » 28 Aug 2019, 15:07

I can't help you either Hugh. I don't know how many times I've seen it, but with the big screen, surround sound, and recliner seats, regulate a little interstate commerce and I'm there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Aug 2019, 22:30

Hell, I'm very tempted. I just wish the days weren't Sunday and Wednesday.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Sep 2019, 02:17

We enjoyed Hustlers. I know the press is raving about Jennifer Lopez's performance, but I thought Constance Wu stole the show.

And I could swear that we had a gryll discussion of the real-life events that inspired the movie, but I can't find the thread now.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Sep 2019, 21:05

Ad Astra was technically well made, but if I'm gonna watch a space opera about toxic masculinity I want some characters that I can relate to, or at least some lightsabers. Also, SPACE FORCE!
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Sep 2019, 01:02

I have never watched the Downton Abbey TV series, but a friend persuaded me to go to the movie version tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was witty and well acted.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Sep 2019, 13:42

Aresen wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 01:02
I have never watched the Downton Abbey TV series, but a friend persuaded me to go to the movie version tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was witty and well acted.
I also saw it yesterday evening. The parts was certainly better than the sum of the whole.

This SNL skit wss last night is on point, in that 1) there's a lot of cleaning & 2) i do now ask myself if the stakes were always that though. (There are tbf 2 'hi stakes' plot lines, one of which is executed well (Thomas's) one of which is not (Branson's)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Oct 2019, 15:15

I'm going to go see Joker at 4 pm today. With any luck, I won't be gunned down in the theater and will post a mini-review later tonight.

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Oct 2019, 12:55

Incelmania! Good luck.

Also when did this movie become like the terrorism moral panic event of the season? Is there vaping in it?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Oct 2019, 14:51

dhex wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:55
Incelmania! Good luck.

Also when did this movie become like the terrorism moral panic event of the season? Is there vaping in it?
No, only perfectly safe chain-smoking.

Phoenix was really, really good. The movie is, like, 98% him, so on that ground alone it's worth seeing. I mean, if you can avoid being murdered while watching. Taken as a whole, I have plenty of nits to pick with the film, not the least being some heavy-handed class warfare bullshit but, hey, it's a comic book drama, the competition has been weak this year and Phoenix ought to be picking up an Oscar next year.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Oct 2019, 17:09

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 14:51
dhex wrote:
Incelmania! Good luck.

Phoenix was really, really good. The movie is, like, 98% him, so on that ground alone it's worth seeing. I mean, if you can avoid being murdered while watching. Taken as a whole, I have plenty of nits to pick with the film, not the least being some heavy-handed class warfare bullshit but, hey, it's a comic book drama, the competition has been weak this year and Phoenix ought to be picking up an Oscar next year.
Oscars so homicidal!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Oct 2019, 18:04

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
dhex wrote:
Incelmania! Good luck.

Interesting. What do you think of the critics that say that it’s dull? I was surprised that the negative reviews weren’t ideological, but that there wasn’t much meat there aside from being a poor comic book version homage to The King of Comedy.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Oct 2019, 18:18

Mo wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 18:04
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
dhex wrote:
Incelmania! Good luck.

Interesting. What do you think of the critics that say that it’s dull? I was surprised that the negative reviews weren’t ideological, but that there wasn’t much meat there aside from being a poor comic book version homage to The King of Comedy.
It's definitely a slow burn and, insofar as you know, more or less, what's coming, I can see why some critics would pan the movie, itself. It's a bit disjointed and there are definitely some dull patches if what you're looking for is standard action movie pacing. So, yeah. I'm only praising the performance.

It's been years since I saw "The King of Comedy" but the allusions certainly weren't lost on me. I don't recall being all that impressed with TKOC, to tell the truth, but maybe I should give it another look. Anyway, I'm not saying Phoenix is the equal of De Niro or that his Joker was definitely better than Ledger's Joker or even Nicholson's Joker, but his Joker is the entire movie, start to coda, and he delivers a larger, richer character if for no other reason than that the movie is all about him.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 04 Oct 2019, 21:55

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 14:51
dhex wrote:
Incelmania! Good luck.

I was impressed by both the performance and the movie. It's very much a slow burn, and it's clear that the makers were going for something very different, and more serious than most comic movies. I will say that I was shocked at how unremittingly bleak and nihilistic it is. Taxi Driver is probably the closest approximation.
It's very much worth seeing, though I would advise skipping it if you're seeking fun or uplift.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Oct 2019, 22:42

If not for Phoenix' incredible performance, I would be tempted to say the production design was the real star. The sets, costumes, props, hair & makeup, etc. superbly evoked the alienation and urban decay of urban America in the 70s. The only thing I didn't like about it was the score. That cello got old fast.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Nov 2019, 01:48

For a movie like Terminator Dark Fate with three female protagonists, it might be useful to have at least one woman among the six credited writers, if only to sanity check dialogue like "well she doesn't care about sex, but she sure likes having someone around to change those diapers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2019, 11:45

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 01:48
For a movie like Terminator Dark Fate with three female protagonists, it might be useful to have at least one woman among the six credited writers, if only to sanity check dialogue like "well she doesn't care about sex, but she sure likes having someone around to change those diapers."
Ugh. No really? At least tell me it's not as awful in context.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Nov 2019, 12:38

Warren wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 11:45
Hugh Akston wrote:
The actual exchange is pretty humorous, but it hangs a lampshade on the flatness of the characters and the weakness of the narrative.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Nov 2019, 13:14

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 12:38
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
The actual exchange is pretty humorous, but it hangs a lampshade on the flatness of the characters and the weakness of the narrative.
So what you're saying is that I was right to go see Motherless Brooklyn instead yesterday or would have been if it hadn't been overwrought, precious and a perfect example of a star writing and directing himself in a star vehicle?

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2019, 13:32

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 13:14
Hugh Akston wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
So what you're saying is that I was right to go see Motherless Brooklyn instead yesterday or would have been if it hadn't been overwrought, precious and a perfect example of a star writing and directing himself in a star vehicle?
So what you're saying is, you would have been better off staying home and having sex with yourself, or would have been if you were still capable of performing as an overwrought, precious and perfect example of a star writing and directing himself in a star vehicle.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Nov 2019, 13:52

Warren wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 13:32
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 13:14
Hugh Akston wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
So what you're saying is, you would have been better off staying home and having sex with yourself, or would have been if you were still capable of performing as an overwrought, precious and perfect example of a star writing and directing himself in a star vehicle.
I'm still quite capable of all those things, but the dog turns out to be a really crappy camera operator.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Nov 2019, 14:28

The cat's actually a great cinematographer but only likes to make snuff films.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2019, 14:39

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 14:28
The cat's actually a great cinematographer but only likes to make snuff films.
I'm producing the cat's passion project. We both want you to star in it. :P
THIS SPACE FOR RENT