What's New at the Bijou?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: What's New at the Bijou?

Post by Andrew » 25 Sep 2017, 23:12

the innominate one wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 21:49
Have the MST3K or Rifftrax guys ever covered Zardoz?
No, but the RiffTrax site has a commentary track for it from The Film Roasters, whoever they are.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Sep 2017, 23:27

Missed opportunity.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Sep 2017, 23:40

So much of Zardoz is just weird and kind of slow. The opening half hour is stunningly bizarre, but it's a bit of a slog after that. Commentary would be difficult.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Sep 2017, 23:46

Andrew wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 23:40
So much of Zardoz is just weird and kind of slow. The opening half hour is stunningly bizarre, but it's a bit of a slog after that. Commentary would be difficult.
Mind, so was Red Zone Cuba, and Zardoz, weird as it is, is much more watchable.

(Which is a wild understatement. Zardoz is just a weird 70s SF film with no real sympathetic characters and an amoral, raping, murdering protagonist. Red Zone Cuba, aka Night Train to Mundo Fine, on the other hand, is a fuckin' Colman Francis movie.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Sep 2017, 17:43

Someday when called upon to give a speech, I will just quote the entire Zardoz speech.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Oct 2017, 17:48

"Blade Runner 2049" was flawed but spectacular. It sort of falls apart toward the end or maybe just doesn't live up to the first two hours of the film and it lacked the film noir elements that I personally liked so much in the original. I don't know if it's a serious contender for best picture of the year but it sure as hell is a contender if not a slam dunk for best cinematography.

Moving along, unless I am much mistaken, an infrequent but none the less genuine possibility, I just saw James Earl Jones not far from Waikiki Beach having his picture taken with fans under a large Banyan Tree. I considered shouting out something clever like, you know, "May the force be with you!" but in a rare display of good sense refrained and went on about my day.

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.

Last edited by D.A. Ridgely on 06 Oct 2017, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Oct 2017, 17:54

Could have quoted Field of Dreams instead. More dignified.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Oct 2017, 00:42

Cosign DARs review of blade runner. It may be the most beautiful movie ever put on film. The visuals are that good. Too long and suboptimal last 30 mins.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Oct 2017, 22:10

You should have yelled, "Semmi you have disgraced yourself, and you must be punished. Confine yourself to our royal suite at the Waldorf-Astoria."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 Oct 2017, 22:14

Blade Runner is outstanding in more ways than I'm willing to catalog here. I concur with the recommendation to see it on the largest screen with the best sound system and most comfortable chairs you can find. It is a long haul, but it's worth it.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Oct 2017, 22:36

Mo wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:10
You should have yelled, "Semmi you have disgraced yourself, and you must be punished. Confine yourself to our royal suite at the Waldorf-Astoria."
"Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Oct 2017, 22:40

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 17:48
Moving along, unless I am much mistaken, an infrequent but none the less genuine possibility, I just saw James Earl Jones not far from Waikiki Beach having his picture taken with fans under a large Banyan Tree. I considered shouting out something clever like, you know, "May the force be with you!" but in a rare display of good sense refrained and went on about my day.
I am disappointed
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Oct 2017, 23:14

Kolohe wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:36
Mo wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:10
"Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe"
"Hey, where'd Major Kong go? "
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Oct 2017, 10:54

Number 6 wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:14
Blade Runner is outstanding in more ways than I'm willing to catalog here. I concur with the recommendation to see it on the largest screen with the best sound system and most comfortable chairs you can find. It is a long haul, but it's worth it.
Hey, Six! *waves frantically*

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 Oct 2017, 11:21

08 Oct 2017, 10:54
Number 6 wrote:
Hi hi.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2017, 11:28

Number 6 wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 11:21
Number 6 wrote:
Hi hi.
You stateside yet?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 Oct 2017, 17:41

Warren wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 11:28
Number 6 wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 11:21
Number 6 wrote:
Hi hi.
You stateside yet?
Yep. Back in the land of the big PX. And big people.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Oct 2017, 17:55

Don't fat shame me.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Oct 2017, 01:03

Saw the new Blade Runner. Like everyone else I really enjoyed it. I thought they did some smart stuff with the story. The visuals were fantastic. I also dug the soundtrack. It's like Vangelis but after the messy divorce and strung out on painkillers.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Oct 2017, 10:24

It was jarringly loud in our theater, like to the point of painful wife covering ears, when those vangelisy harsh notes hit. I loved it but wish it was dialed back in the theater just a hair.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Oct 2017, 10:38

JasonL wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 10:24
It was jarringly loud in our theater, like to the point of painful wife covering ears, when those vangelisy harsh notes hit. I loved it but wish it was dialed back in the theater just a hair.
I keep disposable ear protection in my car. Mostly for live music events, but have wished I had brought them into the movies on more than one occasion.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Oct 2017, 10:47

I've probably mentioned it before, but I have custom molded earplugs. I'd recommend them to anyone who wants to use earplugs regularly. The frequency attenuation is a lot flatter, not super skewed like foam earplugs. Takes two visits to an audiologist to get the molds made and to test the fit, but then they last nearly forever. And they come with a little case / pouch, so you can keep them with you all the time if you wanted. They're expensive, but really nice to have around.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Oct 2017, 11:01

Highway wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 10:47
I've probably mentioned it before, but I have custom molded earplugs. I'd recommend them to anyone who wants to use earplugs regularly. The frequency attenuation is a lot flatter, not super skewed like foam earplugs. Takes two visits to an audiologist to get the molds made and to test the fit, but then they last nearly forever. And they come with a little case / pouch, so you can keep them with you all the time if you wanted. They're expensive, but really nice to have around.
Nice dude, I've been meaning to get some for ages. Have to have a physical soon, will enquire if I can get some from the G-O-V-T.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Oct 2017, 19:25

How do you clean them, and how hard is it?

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Oct 2017, 20:26

Jadagul wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 19:25
How do you clean them, and how hard is it?
Well, they're shiny plastic, and most of the stuff they get on them is earwax, so you really just wipe them off with a tissue after you use them. If you need to wash them, you can take the little attenuator cartridge out (it's a small button, like a collar button) and you can then wash them however you want. If you get the attenuator wet, you need to replace it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."