dboom. skrilldhex.

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 05 Sep 2017, 21:05

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 06 Sep 2017, 18:50

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 14 Sep 2017, 00:49

New John Maus. Hope the album is better than the new Zola Jesus ...

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14606
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dhex » 14 Sep 2017, 07:11

Is the new Zola Jesus bad?
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 14 Sep 2017, 07:33

dhex wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 07:11
Is the new Zola Jesus bad?
First few tracks are like a parody. A couple of good tracks after, but very meh.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 14 Sep 2017, 08:48

On the same note, her old stuff was good and she took a long break. Just like the John Maus stuff.



Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5581
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by Andrew » 10 Oct 2017, 12:21

I ran across these albums yesterday. All are solo works recorded by Manuel Gottsching, the guitarist from Ash Ra Tempel. The first one is just him with a guitar and using various delay and solo effects. Very spacey and contemplative with a few searing meltdowns. The second one is him on guitar and several analog synthesizers for a more ambient feel than the first one. The third one was recorded by him in an afternoon in 1981, released 3 years later, and anticipated everything techno would do for 20 years.

Inventions for Electric Guitar
New Age of Earth
e2-e4
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9515
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by Sandy » 10 Oct 2017, 15:41

I assume you've heard Yellow Magic Orchestra, yes? 1978 and took Kraftwerk, added some Japan and freshened up the sound.

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14606
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dhex » 10 Oct 2017, 17:14

Andrew wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 12:21
I ran across these albums yesterday. All are solo works recorded by Manuel Gottsching, the guitarist from Ash Ra Tempel. The first one is just him with a guitar and using various delay and solo effects. Very spacey and contemplative with a few searing meltdowns. The second one is him on guitar and several analog synthesizers for a more ambient feel than the first one. The third one was recorded by him in an afternoon in 1981, released 3 years later, and anticipated everything techno would do for 20 years.

Inventions for Electric Guitar
New Age of Earth
e2-e4
new age of earth and e2 are both good. i like new age of earth more. e2 is like a proto ambient techno thing in parts but isn't as solid as new age of earth.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14606
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dhex » 10 Oct 2017, 17:16

did i mention the new godspeed is fucking excellent? i did on twitter but not here maybe.

unrelated but been listening to this on repeat (when i'm not playing ambient dadrock for 9 hours during work times)

"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 10 Oct 2017, 17:28

Good work boys.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5581
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by Andrew » 10 Oct 2017, 17:32

Sandy wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 15:41
I assume you've heard Yellow Magic Orchestra, yes? 1978 and took Kraftwerk, added some Japan and freshened up the sound.
Heard of it, but never listened to it. I'll try it this week. Today I fell down the rabbit hole of Fripp solo albums never released on CD. God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners and Let the Power Fall have some mighty fine Frippertronic work.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 11 Oct 2017, 07:28

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 11 Oct 2017, 09:44

Re-edits:



Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14606
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dhex » 11 Oct 2017, 10:07

Do they remove her awful voice?
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 11 Oct 2017, 10:14

dhex wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 10:07
Do they remove her awful voice?
I bet your wife makes you put her on the stereo.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14606
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dhex » 11 Oct 2017, 10:44

Sometimes yes. This is also the single best way to pick a fight with a brit over 40 in an anorak. Works every time.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14674
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Oct 2017, 12:13

dhex wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 10:44
Sometimes yes. This is also the single best way to pick a fight with a brit over 40 in an anorak. Works every time.
Hooded lunchstealer wants to send mrs dhex a bunch of Amanda Palmer mp3s.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14606
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dhex » 11 Oct 2017, 12:31

she has yes virginia somewhere. it's not an awful album. i'd rather listen to grouper, tho.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 30 Oct 2017, 21:09

This is real nice:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 16 Nov 2017, 08:10

Damn there's a lot of Pino Donaggio rip-offs out there in balearic land.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5581
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by Andrew » 02 Dec 2017, 07:05

I recently fell down a rabbit hole on youtube, and I think some of the finds are meant for dbcooper's ears.

First, Rainforest (1966) by Walter Wanderley. The LP cover says he is "Brazil's #1 Organist," and I can't argue. The Hammond B3 work is pure ear candy.

That video was posted by a user named "Dr. Hofmann's Electric Kool-Aid Party!," and that person has posted all sorts of fascinating late 50s/early 60s LPs. There are something like 60+ LPs just in the "Space Age, Exotica Lounge, and Easy Listening" category. Some other noteworthy finds:

Dave Pike - Jazz for the Jet Set (1966). The cover alone is worth it.
Cal Tjader - Latin Kick (1958).

These led to perhaps my best random find ever on youtube:
Rabih Abou Khalil - Blue Camel (1992).

Which somehow got me to the soundtrack to dbcooper's life:
Masayoshi Takanaka ‎– An Insatiable High (1977).
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 605
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Dec 2017, 12:02

Andrew wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 07:05
Which somehow got me to the soundtrack to dbcooper's life:
Masayoshi Takanaka ‎– An Insatiable High (1977).
Ha! I've been listening to that one recently myself. Nice.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17886
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: dboom. skrilldhex.

Post by dbcooper » 02 Dec 2017, 17:53

Andrew wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 07:05
I recently fell down a rabbit hole on youtube, and I think some of the finds are meant for dbcooper's ears.

First, Rainforest (1966) by Walter Wanderley. The LP cover says he is "Brazil's #1 Organist," and I can't argue. The Hammond B3 work is pure ear candy.

That video was posted by a user named "Dr. Hofmann's Electric Kool-Aid Party!," and that person has posted all sorts of fascinating late 50s/early 60s LPs. There are something like 60+ LPs just in the "Space Age, Exotica Lounge, and Easy Listening" category. Some other noteworthy finds:

Dave Pike - Jazz for the Jet Set (1966). The cover alone is worth it.
Cal Tjader - Latin Kick (1958).

These led to perhaps my best random find ever on youtube:
Rabih Abou Khalil - Blue Camel (1992).

Which somehow got me to the soundtrack to dbcooper's life:
Masayoshi Takanaka ‎– An Insatiable High (1977).
Nice. Will check those out.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests