MARCH MADNESS

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: MARCH MADNESS

Post by JasonL » 28 Mar 2011, 14:27

We're probably in a place where the One and Done Freshman thing has destroyed any real credible notion that you know who the best teams are by the time March rolls around. It's fun, but the whole seeding thing is probably becoming more of a farce. I'm not inclined to try to fix anything by having more teams play in though. It ain't broke.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Mar 2011, 16:52

Warren wrote:HEY. Dean Smith was the greatest Coach of any team throughout the galaxy. Don't be hate'n on Dean Smith. Dean Smith PWNZ you organ boy.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:I'd be delighted to see VCU win the championship, although I suspect it would lead to a shakeup in CAA membership.
What do you mean?

I'd love to see VCU take it all, although it would only encourage the selection committee to select even more schools. 64 should be the number. I love watching a Cinderella team, I just hate that they had to "play their way in" to the tournament.

In any event, I hope this brings greater respect for the Colonial Athletic Conference.
The CAA is already a fairly motley collection of schools with, e.g., a different roster for football and for basketball. Some of those schools want to develop another powerhouse revenue sports conference, others are content to keep funding and emphasis on athletics to more moderate levels. Thus, I see a likely reshuffling if some but not all of the CAA member schools try to "live up" to a national championship.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Mar 2011, 19:29

JasonL wrote:We're probably in a place where the One and Done Freshman thing has destroyed any real credible notion that you know who the best teams are by the time March rolls around. It's fun, but the whole seeding thing is probably becoming more of a farce. I'm not inclined to try to fix anything by having more teams play in though. It ain't broke.
I thought it was a better system when freshmen weren't allowed to play.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 29 Mar 2011, 16:54

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:We're probably in a place where the One and Done Freshman thing has destroyed any real credible notion that you know who the best teams are by the time March rolls around. It's fun, but the whole seeding thing is probably becoming more of a farce. I'm not inclined to try to fix anything by having more teams play in though. It ain't broke.
Why? Chris Webber (and the rest of the Fab Five) should have been sitting on their butts in 1992 instead of going to the NCAA championship game?
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Mar 2011, 19:20

J sub D wrote:
Warren wrote:
Why? Chris Webber (and the rest of the Fab Five) should have been sitting on their butts in 1992 instead of going to the NCAA championship game?
Yup. When you had a freshman team, kids had a year to mature on and off the court. The schools made a bigger commitment putting a kid on scholarship for a year before he could play varsity. It made for better teams and was slightly less scummy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 29 Mar 2011, 23:36

All sports is politics. All politics is sports. Don't try to extract one from the other. Monkeys monkeys monkeys.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 04 Apr 2011, 11:37

zq
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 09 Nov 2011, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Apr 2011, 23:34

If anyone questions me as to why I prefer pro to college hoops I'm using tonight's game as evidence. How does a team shoot 19% and under 10% for 2 point shots?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 05 Apr 2011, 09:01

zq
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 09 Nov 2011, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Apr 2011, 10:02

Mo wrote:If anyone questions me as to why I prefer pro to college hoops I'm using tonight's game as evidence. How does a team shoot 19% and under 10% for 2 point shots?
That was the worst basketball game I've ever seen. If they don't fix the one and done freshman thing, this is the slop you'll get every year in the NCAA and it will spill over into the NBA where no new players will know how to play basketball at all. They'll have to beef up the whatchacallit farm league thing, D league I think.

On the flip side, when college teams can stay together for 4 years or so, it has traditionally been a better game than the NBA because of high care factor, meaningful games, not broken down players, etc.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2011, 10:16

JasonL wrote:
Mo wrote:If anyone questions me as to why I prefer pro to college hoops I'm using tonight's game as evidence. How does a team shoot 19% and under 10% for 2 point shots?
That was the worst basketball game I've ever seen. If they don't fix the one and done freshman thing, this is the slop you'll get every year in the NCAA and it will spill over into the NBA where no new players will know how to play basketball at all. They'll have to beef up the whatchacallit farm league thing, D league I think.

On the flip side, when college teams can stay together for 4 years or so, it has traditionally been a better game than the NBA because of high care factor, meaningful games, not broken down players, etc.
+1
+ I WIN
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Apr 2011, 12:00

Norbert Wronkletoad wrote:
hoops is basically unwatchable. has been for quite a while. You could see it in the 1994 world championship team.

Hovercraft broom jai alai is where the action is!
Shut your gob, Potter!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Apr 2011, 12:16

JasonL wrote:

I dunno, the one and done freshman thing was a supposed improvement over straight from high school players and the overall quality of the NBA product is at a much higher level now than it has been in a long time even though the bulk of the players are from the no college and one and done era. The one and done has an effect on the quality college basketball, but it doesn't seem to have had an effect on pro basketball. The players may require more seasoning in the pros before becoming starters than they did 20 years ago, but they seem to be doing fine. Coming off the bench for a couple of years rather than playing in college doesn't seem to have hurt Kobe, KG or even Andrew Bynum.

I'm also very uncomfortable with the idea of forcing players to stay in college, at slave labor wages, and keep them from earning a living, especially due to the risk of injury.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Apr 2011, 15:13

What Mo said.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Apr 2011, 15:22

I don't watch that many NBA games, but my impression is that life is grand if you are 1 of 4-5 teams with conglomerations of 3 superstars, but that over the past couple of years the draft has been really thin with productive talent and role players are basically all crap, there are no big men that can post up, people don't understand spacing, etc. You need 3 superstars to win now because everyone else doesn't know how to play.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Apr 2011, 16:01

JasonL wrote:I don't watch that many NBA games, but my impression is that life is grand if you are 1 of 4-5 teams with conglomerations of 3 superstars, but that over the past couple of years the draft has been really thin with productive talent and role players are basically all crap, there are no big men that can post up, people don't understand spacing, etc. You need 3 superstars to win now because everyone else doesn't know how to play.
This is true. Of course, that has always been true in basketball. The nature of the game is pretty much going to force it that way. In basketball you have 5 players on the court at once and, in the playoffs, a rotation of 8 players. One player, playing 40 of an available 240 minutes is going to have a massive effect. In baseball, you have 8 or 9 hitters and 3-4 pitchers* and in football, you have 11 offensive and 11 defensive players, plus a special teams guy that matters. One or three great players has less of an overall effect.

Has there ever been an era where there weren't a few great teams and a bunch of pretenders. In the 90s You had the Jordan era Bulls teams, the Rockets and one or two teams that would compete with them, in the 80s you had the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, 76ers and Rockets, etc. The recent champion Pistons were the last team to break from the big 2/3 concept and the only team to do it successfully in my lifetime, with the possible exception of the 93-94 Rockets.

* Playoff rotation

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Apr 2011, 16:05

You'd know more than I would, but I have inherent suspicion about the opinions of Lakers fans on such issues. ;)

I've just been thinking about the recent drafts and the one coming up and see 1 or 2 basketball players in there. Blake is awesome. After that? This year looks awful.

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 05 Apr 2011, 16:30

zq
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 09 Nov 2011, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Apr 2011, 19:55

Norbert Wronkletoad wrote:
Mo wrote:
JasonL wrote:I don't watch that many NBA games, but my impression is that life is grand if you are 1 of 4-5 teams with conglomerations of 3 superstars, but that over the past couple of years the draft has been really thin with productive talent and role players are basically all crap, there are no big men that can post up, people don't understand spacing, etc. You need 3 superstars to win now because everyone else doesn't know how to play.
This is true. Of course, that has always been true in basketball. The nature of the game is pretty much going to force it that way. In basketball you have 5 players on the court at once and, in the playoffs, a rotation of 8 players. One player, playing 40 of an available 240 minutes is going to have a massive effect. In baseball, you have 8 or 9 hitters and 3-4 pitchers* and in football, you have 11 offensive and 11 defensive players, plus a special teams guy that matters. One or three great players has less of an overall effect.

Has there ever been an era where there weren't a few great teams and a bunch of pretenders. In the 90s You had the Jordan era Bulls teams, the Rockets and one or two teams that would compete with them, in the 80s you had the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, 76ers and Rockets, etc. The recent champion Pistons were the last team to break from the big 2/3 concept and the only team to do it successfully in my lifetime, with the possible exception of the 93-94 Rockets.

* Playoff rotation
i disagree that the quality is better now. Yes, the athletes are much better, but quality? I just don't think so. It may be qualitative, but it just feels like that.
Well, quantity is up. At least since the last expansion.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Apr 2011, 20:37

lunchstealer wrote:Well, quantity is up. At least since the last expansion.
Though the talent pool that the teams are drawing from has grown at a much faster rate, so in essence, we're drawing from players that are more standard devs from the mean. Instead of getting the best foreign players at the tail end of their careers when they're broken down and past their prime, we get players from all over the world that have played as kids and come early on, Nowitski, the Gasol brothers, Parker, Ginobli, etc.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Feb 2012, 00:32

Well here it is 2012 and the worlds most exciting team sport is coming down the home stretch.
There's a bit of dust up out here in the Show Me state as Mizzou plays its last season in the Big 12. They squeaked by arch rival Kansas in one of the best games I've seen this season.

I turned off the NC/Duke game as soon as NC had it sewn up. DOH!

Fuck Syracuse.

And is anyone else taking note of the only undefeated team li'll ole, Murray State, from the inconspicuous Ohio Valley Conference? GO RACERS!

Princeton hasn't lost to Harvard at home in over twenty years. And they didn't this year either. Only difference? Harvard is a nationally ranked team. Let me repeat that, Harvard is nationally ranked. The last time that happened was never. The last time they went to the big dance it wasn't even a sock hop and Truman was in office.
Last edited by Warren on 13 Feb 2012, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2012, 09:38

Big Blue looks really good. They are probably too young to win the tournament though. That kid Davis is kind of ridiculous. I haven't seen blocking instincts that good in ... when was the last time we saw that kind of dominant shot blocker?

ETA: my father is a Murray State Alum. He's having fun and he doesn't even watch basketball. He gets to go to, ahem, Granny's Apron, where he's kind of a NOORRM! but with omelettes instead of beer and tell all the waitresses about Murray State. It's kind of sad and funny at the same time, for a lot of reasons.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Feb 2012, 09:54

JasonL wrote:Big Blue looks really good. They are probably too young to win the tournament though. That kid Davis is kind of ridiculous. I haven't seen blocking instincts that good in ... when was the last time we saw that kind of dominant shot blocker?
Mutombo and Mourning maybe.

Tonight's match-up:
Louisville Cardinals vs Syracuse Orange
Pitino vs Boeheim
Good vs Evil
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2012, 10:14

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:Big Blue looks really good. They are probably too young to win the tournament though. That kid Davis is kind of ridiculous. I haven't seen blocking instincts that good in ... when was the last time we saw that kind of dominant shot blocker?
Mutombo and Mourning maybe.

Tonight's match-up:
Louisville Cardinals vs Syracuse Orange
Pitino vs Boeheim
Good vs Evil
Boeheim may be Evil, but you can't make Pitino Good can you? What with the waitress and all?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Feb 2012, 10:43

Is the county that the Murray State campus is in still a dry county? (The only reason I know this is that my first 'sea dad' went to Murray State)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex