MARCH MADNESS

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ayn_Randian

Re: MARCH MADNESS

Post by Ayn_Randian » 10 Feb 2013, 00:32

Kolohe wrote:Tournament results if played with head to head graduation rates
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... gradrates/
I am about a year late, but the number for OSU was way off. The 2004-2005 graduation rate for men's basketball was 68%.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Dec 2016, 19:28

You know, I might be turning into that guy. Because I'm thinking if Grayson Allen were not white, 1) he'd be labelled a thug by everyone a long time ago (and he objectively is one) and 2) Coach K wouldn't have put up with his shit for as long as its been going on.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Dec 2016, 21:13

Kolohe wrote:You know, I might be turning into that guy. Because I'm thinking if Grayson Allen were not white, 1) he'd be labelled a thug by everyone a long time ago (and he objectively is one) and 2) Coach K wouldn't have put up with his shit for as long as its been going on.
Your #2 has had me thinking.
It's really fucking horrible when someone has an exemplary career, not only achieving spectacular professional accomplishments, but also as an outstanding human being, and then it all goes to shit.
Joe Paterno deserves to be remembered better. and Bill Cosby never should have been thought well of to begin with. I don't want to have to come to grips with Krzyzewski's racism. Allen isn't Polish is he?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Dec 2016, 22:03

Kolohe wrote:You know, I might be turning into that guy. Because I'm thinking if Grayson Allen were not white, 1) he'd be labelled a thug by everyone a long time ago (and he objectively is one) and 2) Coach K wouldn't have put up with his shit for as long as its been going on.
Welcome to the dark side my world. I think I started turning into that guy about this time last year.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 22 Dec 2016, 22:28

Warren wrote:Joe Paterno deserves to be remembered better.
He was a nice, kindly man who covered up a subordinate's systematic rape habit for 30 years.

There, better?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Dec 2016, 22:40

Taktix® wrote:
He was a nice, kindly man who covered up a subordinate's systematic rape habit for 30 years.

There, better?
Yeah, fuck that guy.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Dec 2016, 23:22

Taktix® wrote:

There, better?
Yeah no. He didn't cover up anything. When it was reported to him, he reported it to the administration. Which granted, was an inadequate response, but he was not complicit in anything and he had no idea it was going on for 30 years.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Dec 2016, 23:38

Warren wrote:
Taktix® wrote:

There, better?
Yeah no. He didn't cover up anything. When it was reported to him, he reported it to the administration. Which granted, was an inadequate response, but he was not complicit in anything and he had no idea it was going on for 30 years.
That's highly questionable.

Even if he didn't actively help to cover it up,, which he probably did, he was Joe Paterno. He could have had 60 Minutes cone to his house and told America that Penn State was protecting a child rapist.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Dec 2016, 09:55

I'm not sure why anyone would believe a thing coming from Paterno or his family. It's already been proven that he lied to the grand jury about when he had knowledge and despite having knowledge of Sandusky's abuse, continued to enable him by letting him use university facilities and leaving him unsupervised with kids in his athletic facilities. There are also emails that show that "Joe" did not want his superiors to refer the incident to the proper state authorities. Now it could have been any number of Joes, but I sort of doubt it.
Freeh described Paterno as "an integral part" of that agreement. According to his report, Spanier, Schultz and Curley drew up a plan that called for reporting Sandusky to the state Department of Public Welfare in 2001. But Curley later said in an email that he changed his mind "after giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Dec 2016, 12:17

mea culpa
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 07 Mar 2017, 14:01

Our old Yahoo brackets group appears not to work anymore. Is there a better place to do brackets? Should I create a new group?
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Mar 2017, 14:18

Rachel wrote:Our old Yahoo brackets group appears not to work anymore. Is there a better place to do brackets? Should I create a new group?
I don't know. Yes.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 09 Mar 2017, 17:22

We have a March Madness Group for when the brackets open

The name of the group is Abortion, Grammar, & Mayo
The password is: Grylliade

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo. ... oc_trk=lnk

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 12 Mar 2017, 14:54

It's Selection Sunday!

(Thank you Twitter for reminding me of this. I am guilty of forgetting)

Brackets are SORT of open? You can do something on Yahoo with the app. (I lied the first time. Sorry. Join our pool anyway)

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 17 Mar 2017, 09:10

Well my bracket is doing pretty terribly. One of my loyalty picks is already out. Virginia Tech, so that's on Kolohe.

I am very upset with Maryland, solely because their mascot is the terrapin, and I love terrapins. :(

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Mar 2017, 09:36

Rachel wrote:Well my bracket is doing pretty terribly. One of my loyalty picks is already out. Virginia Tech, so that's on Kolohe.

I am very upset with Maryland, solely because their mascot is the terrapin, and I love terrapins. :(
Hey, I stayed up to watch that game. By staying up, I mean, fell asleep on the couch intermittently in the 2nd half until it became a foul for time game.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Mar 2017, 23:19

Eh, Duke got Cock blocked.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 20 Mar 2017, 09:51

Kolohe wrote:Eh, Duke got Cock blocked.
Yeah, my bracket is destroyed. :-(

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Mar 2017, 11:31

Heh. Blame Sandy (who is probably wholly unaware of the situation).

My facebook feed is remarkably free of gloating, given the number of USC alumni therein.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 20 Mar 2017, 12:29

lunchstealer wrote:Heh. Blame Sandy (who is probably wholly unaware of the situation).

My facebook feed is remarkably free of gloating, given the number of USC alumni therein.
I am blaming my friend who went to Duke. I always pick Duke to win because of him, as I know nothing about NCAA, and we started doing March Madness brackets here when I worked with him, and was like "hey, who should I choose?" It's worked a couple times, when Duke HAS won. Mostly they choke though. Oh well. Now I don't have to pay attention.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 21 Mar 2017, 11:09

lunchstealer wrote:Heh. Blame Sandy (who is probably wholly unaware of the situation).

I wasn't aware they played, but I did see something about North and South Carolina reintegrating into one state based on shared hatred of Duke.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Mar 2017, 17:48

The Cocks are still keeping it up.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Mar 2017, 18:28

They play hard.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Mar 2017, 19:48

They're game.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Apr 2017, 09:55

What an ugly, crappy game.