Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 May 2013, 23:18

thoreau wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Stevo Darkly wrote:Hey ... I never realized until now that the maker of the Predator flying killer robot is General Atomics.

That is such a Golden-Age-of-science-fiction name! Very Heinlein, very Asimov.

Remind me later to Google whether Positronic Brains and Spaceways Ltd. are real companies too.
North Central Positronics, is of course, real. They have offices all over the path of the beam.
And I'm pretty sure that the Sombra Corporation has a former VPOTUS on its Board of Directors.
US Robotics used to make nice modems.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 May 2013, 15:36

All of a sudden I'm seeing iRobot ads again. I kinda thought they'd left the consumer market and were going solely for bomb-disposal and similar.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 May 2013, 16:11

Based on my experience, they're just not ready for the consumer market.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 16 May 2013, 21:59

So I'm trying to write a series of posts to define libertarianism in more easily-palitable terms for those who's only exposure to libertarianism is what Rachel Maddow says about Rand Paul or whatever.

I feel like the True Scotsmans have as of late been drowned out by the Wayne Allyn Roots and Bob Barrs and Bill Mahers who claim libertarian leanings but end up muddying the brand.

I don't want to claim that I know how to finally define what the fuck libertarianism is, but at least create a sane point of reference for when we get accused of being callous rich jerks or hippie pot-smoking republicans.

Anyway, here's my attempt: http://www.metafederalism.com/2013/05/d ... ssion.html
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 May 2013, 01:27

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 May 2013, 09:38

Taktix® wrote:My case for NASA in libertopia: http://www.metafederalism.com/2013/05/d ... rians.html
Oh FUCK no.

If you want a defense against asteroids, then put it in the defense budget. Put NASA under the DOD and strip it of 95% of it's mission and budget.

As for Space Traffic Cops. We don't need them yet, and when we do, we'll create them. That's a law enforcement problem for laws that haven't been written yet. Certainly nothing to do with the waste fraud and abuse that is NASA.

Libertopia Fail.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 May 2013, 12:22

Warren wrote:
Taktix® wrote:My case for NASA in libertopia: http://www.metafederalism.com/2013/05/d ... rians.html
Oh FUCK no.

If you want a defense against asteroids, then put it in the defense budget. Put NASA under the DOD and strip it of 95% of it's mission and budget.
That's kinda what I mean. The remaining 5% would simply be called NASA. I just hadn't really thought it through as far as which department it would fall under.
Warren wrote:As for Space Traffic Cops. We don't need them yet, and when we do, we'll create them. That's a law enforcement problem for laws that haven't been written yet. Certainly nothing to do with the waste fraud and abuse that is NASA.

Libertopia Fail.
I don't feel like this is true. If you murder someone in space (and there are currently laws against murder) someone has to be around to arrest you. Unless of course, Warren, you are suggesting that space be so unrestricted that violent crime and theft would pass unnoticed? And if space becomes the Firefly-esqe free-for-all, it will be your fault...

I thought we could agree that government has a place in protecting our rights, no? That means there will be at least some space cops. As with all government entities in libertopia, they would be at the minimum level possible, and the organization itself would be as tiny as possible, and it would be called NASA because the name is already synonymous with (the USA in SPACE!).

EDIT: I suppose I could have been clearer on this in my post. Still tryin' to shake the rust off I guess... :?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 May 2013, 12:35

Taktix® wrote:I thought we could agree that government has a place in protecting our rights, no? That means there will be at least some space cops.
Given the laws of motion, the only "Space Policing" necessary will be placing a 5 kg mass ahead of your trajectory, at least until someone invents the Bergenholm.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 May 2013, 15:59

Taktix® wrote: don't feel like this is true. If you murder someone in space (and there are currently laws against murder) someone has to be around to arrest you. Unless of course, Warren, you are suggesting that space be so unrestricted that violent crime and theft would pass unnoticed? And if space becomes the Firefly-esqe free-for-all, it will be your fault...

I thought we could agree that government has a place in protecting our rights, no? That means there will be at least some space cops. As with all government entities in libertopia, they would be at the minimum level possible, and the organization itself would be as tiny as possible, and it would be called NASA because the name is already synonymous with (the USA in SPACE!).
I misunderstood your point. To do regular criminal policing, I wouldn't use NASA. Whatever institutions are running space stations should have their own police force, like states and municipalities do. I was thinking about traffic cops. There's already a lot of stuff flying around in space and at ZOMG! relative velocities. Right of ways, littering, and the like are going to need to be regulated.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 May 2013, 16:13

Warren wrote:
Taktix® wrote: don't feel like this is true. If you murder someone in space (and there are currently laws against murder) someone has to be around to arrest you. Unless of course, Warren, you are suggesting that space be so unrestricted that violent crime and theft would pass unnoticed? And if space becomes the Firefly-esqe free-for-all, it will be your fault...

I misunderstood your point. To do regular criminal policing, I wouldn't use NASA. Whatever institutions are running space stations should have their own police force, like states and municipalities do. I was thinking about traffic cops. There's already a lot of stuff flying around in space and at ZOMG! relative velocities. Right of ways, littering, and the like are going to need to be regulated.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 May 2013, 16:15

Would you agree the weaponization of space is an inevitability?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 May 2013, 17:06

Warren wrote:
Oh FUCK no.

I'm not sure that putting NASA under DoD is the best way to avoid fat in its budget...
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 May 2013, 17:30

Taktix® wrote:Would you agree the weaponization of space is an inevitability?
NEO space is already weaponized, unless you don't consider guidance systems and spy satellites "weapons". (Those are just the ones that are publicly admitted. Also, remember the Chinese "satellite kill" test a few years back.)

Unless there is a huge leap in technology, I don't foresee weaponization of space. Certainly not based on current technology or any technology currently foreseen.

My reason is not that people will become more reasonable in space but that the laws of motion do not permit any meaningful engagement other than mutual suicide: By the time your weapon hits your enemy, he will already have fired off his killer weapon against you. This is true even of laser weapons - the fatal pulse would have a duration of microseconds, but could take several seconds to reach the target.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 May 2013, 21:18

Aresen wrote:My reason is not that people will become more reasonable in space but that the laws of motion do not permit any meaningful engagement other than mutual suicide: By the time your weapon hits your enemy, he will already have fired off his killer weapon against you. This is true even of laser weapons - the fatal pulse would have a duration of microseconds, but could take several seconds to reach the target.
Eh, there'll always be counter-measures. Ablative armor for lasers (or even Traveller-style sandcasters), point defenses for missiles, kevlar swaddling against small projectiles, etc. And no weapon is always a confirmed kill in the first place - targeting has to be darn good to hit something even fractions of a light-second away.

And heck, if you're dealing with unguided weapons over light-seconds of range, invest in maneuvering thrust and random-wiggle your ship around like a crack-added moth if you're expecting fire. (For projectiles, that works at even shorter ranges, and at longer range, you just see it coming on radar and change course to avoid it.) Even if your attacker has perfect aiming technology, you have only a chance of being where they aim when the projectile or laser pulse gets to your vicinity.

Now of course, human action will be only a small part of that loop once things get hot. One person orders an attack (and clicks the "Are you really sure?" option) and another person yipes and grabs onto something when their computer sounds red alert. That second person might have to authorize returning fire, or their computer might already have permission to do so. Any vaguely realistic space battle will probably be full of very tense waiting mixed with motion sickness.

And that's all assuming physics-as-we-know-it, without wackiness like force fields, FTL, or converting the opponent's region of space to a true vacuum.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 May 2013, 21:24

Eric the .5b wrote:
Aresen wrote:My reason is not that people will become more reasonable in space but that the laws of motion do not permit any meaningful engagement other than mutual suicide: By the time your weapon hits your enemy, he will already have fired off his killer weapon against you. This is true even of laser weapons - the fatal pulse would have a duration of microseconds, but could take several seconds to reach the target.
Eh, there'll always be counter-measures. Ablative armor for lasers (or even Traveller-style sandcasters), point defenses for missiles, kevlar swaddling against small projectiles, etc. And no weapon is always a confirmed kill in the first place - targeting has to be darn good to hit something even fractions of a light-second away.

And heck, if you're dealing with unguided weapons over light-seconds of range, invest in maneuvering thrust and random-wiggle your ship around like a crack-added moth if you're expecting fire. (For projectiles, that works at even shorter ranges, and at longer range, you just see it coming on radar and change course to avoid it.) Even if your attacker has perfect aiming technology, you have only a chance of being where they aim when the projectile or laser pulse gets to your vicinity.

Now of course, human action will be only a small part of that loop once things get hot. One person orders an attack (and clicks the "Are you really sure?" option) and another person yipes and grabs onto something when their computer sounds red alert. That second person might have to authorize returning fire, or their computer might already have permission to do so. Any vaguely realistic space battle will probably be full of very tense waiting mixed with motion sickness.

And that's all assuming physics-as-we-know-it, without wackiness like force fields, FTL, or converting the opponent's region of space to a true vacuum.
Does the 2nd Amendment allow for citizens to own Vacuum Cannons?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 May 2013, 21:27

The general concern with the weaponization of space is somebody loading up a bunch of satellites with nuclear warheads so you can drop them and hit your targets in 30 seconds or whatever, i.e. too quickly for MAD.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 May 2013, 21:31

Meh. Good ol' relativistic projectiles for this Heinlein fan.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 May 2013, 21:37

Fin Fang Foom wrote:The general concern with the weaponization of space is somebody loading up a bunch of satellites with nuclear warheads so you can drop them and hit your targets in 30 seconds or whatever, i.e. too quickly for MAD.
If you've got your own satellites, you do a variation on the old late-Soviet "guy in a safe room somewhere who makes really damn sure an attack is happening before OKing retaliation".

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 May 2013, 21:38

Taktix® wrote:Does the 2nd Amendment allow for citizens to own Vacuum Cannons?
Depends on whether it causes a chain vacuum collapse and destroys the universe, I guess.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 May 2013, 00:52

Eric the .5b wrote:
Taktix® wrote:Does the 2nd Amendment allow for citizens to own Vacuum Cannons?
Depends on whether it causes a chain vacuum collapse and destroys the universe, I guess.
Or a pistol grip, because those would make them military-style weapons designed to kill as many people as fast as possible.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 May 2013, 01:38

I'm not opposed to doomsday devices, just assault doomsday devices.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 31 May 2013, 08:19

We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 23 Jun 2013, 02:09

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jun 2013, 09:09

Taktix® wrote:And then there's this asshole: http://www.metafederalism.com/2013/06/l ... lgent.html
They claim that they paid for these services with their tax dollars, but it turns out that what they pay does not even begin to cover the costs of training the doctors and nurses and building the hospitals. Instead, a good part of the funding for these emergency services comes from the national debt that libertarians claim to so hate, and which they want to reduce -- by cutting services to other people, especially those on food stamps and Medicaid.
Too much stupid, can't cope.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Dec 2013, 01:23

In the "I have no idea what people are thinking" arena...

A few guys from my anime group blog and I have been watching a show this season 'together': we get on a skype call and then all watch the show at the same time. It's Infinite Stratos 2, which is a pretty unremarkable harem sci-fi mecha show (notable for having the absolute worst harem lead I've seen). And because content is content, even if it's terrible, we record these shows and put them up on a torrent site (and youtube) and then make a blog post about it. So it's basically four random dudes just reacting to a show. I can't imagine it's all that amazing to listen to, it's not like it's a podcast or anything, it's like Mystery Science Theater without any skits, or planning, or humor...

And we have had over 400 people download the torrent for this for the last two weeks since we've put it up on this torrent site, and over 1000 views on YouTube each week (sometimes 3,000-12,000). What? I can't fathom that people are downloading this and listening to it! I mean, I think it's kinda cool, but wow, don't people have better things to do?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."