Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 May 2010, 11:29

Toot your own horn here. For example:

Constant Viewer munches some popcorn and watches Iron Man 2.

http://positiveliberty.com/2010/05/cons ... man-2.html

P.S. -- Is it my incompetence or is tucking url's under text not yet possible here?

Mo

Re: Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Post by Mo » 09 May 2010, 15:47

You can tuck URLs under text. Use the URL button around the text you want to tuck it under and then use '=http://your link' (sans quotes) after the first url tag. Quote this post to see what I mean.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 May 2010, 17:29

Eh, too much work.

A modest proposal to reform the judicial system and save shitloads of money in the process:

http://feralgenius.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... outta.html
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 May 2010, 17:22

I blog my disappointment with a candidate who once said sane things about drugs but now opposes Miranda warnings for terrorism suspects:

http://highclearing.com/index.php/archi ... 5/16/11128
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

rana

Post by rana » 17 May 2010, 10:50

I don't have a blog.
The blogs I usually check to find out the value of the "black market" US$ are being investigated by the Vzlan government and are down since yesterday. :(
I am seriously concerned on how I will change my Bs into US$$$. Argh :evil:

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 May 2010, 18:07

"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 May 2010, 13:37

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 May 2010, 01:12

I'm going to try losing some weight, and I'm going to try and document it online. I figure if I put it out in front of you guys (whose opinions matter to me, for highly mysterious reasons), I'm more likely to stick with it instead of throwing in the towel when it gets difficult.

WARNING: Blog may include horrible "before" photos of a fat bearded guy, sans shirt.

http://21daysofjake.wordpress.com/
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 May 2010, 14:44

thoreau wrote:I consider my political identity:

http://highclearing.com/index.php/archi ... 5/30/11157
I agree w dhex
You should be all "I am what I say am ... Henley won't play my jams"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jun 2010, 14:16

Now that I said something nice at UO, I'm going to take you to task, Thoreau. :)

You're starting to get really whiny and hyper-sarcastic again, to the point that I'm honestly not sure whether that blog post was serious or an ironic send-up of the Red-issue-favoring "libertarians" in the H&R comments and elsewhere.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 01 Jun 2010, 14:23

For a long time, I've resisted creating a blog because I'm fairly certain that I don't have anything new to say, or an interesting way in which to say it. However, I've decided to do one anyway. So:
http://luxetcalor.wordpress.com/

There are two posts up, and the one to be read first is on the bottom.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Jun 2010, 14:27

Eric the .5b wrote:Now that I said something nice at UO, I'm going to take you to task, Thoreau. :)

You're starting to get really whiny and hyper-sarcastic again, to the point that I'm honestly not sure whether that blog post was serious or an ironic send-up of the Red-issue-favoring "libertarians" in the H&R comments and elsewhere.
I have a commentariat that assumes I must adhere to everything they think libertarians adhere to. Perhaps I should have phrased it as asking whether I match with what they assume libertarians to be. I admit that I did say more than I should have about purer libertarians not liking some of my stances, since ultimately it shouldn't matter what purity police think. However, now and then I do get some commenters taking me to task from the other side. So I laid out the stances that I care strongly about, and concluded that there's plenty of libertarianism in there, and also plenty for the left to like.

EDIT: I'll work on the tone, though, in the future.

Also, Number 6, you're in my RSS. Thanks for letting us know about the blog.
--Jake

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jun 2010, 14:34

Thoreau wrote:So I laid out the stances that I care strongly about, and concluded that there's plenty of libertarianism in there, and also plenty for the left to like.
Thoreau, you concluded more or less that you weren't either, at least reading this at face value:
So, add it all up and I’m somewhere between libertarian and lefty, I think. I’m sure that commenters from both of those factions will have fun disavowing me, while lecturing me on how evil I am for joining with the other side.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jun 2010, 14:37

Also, I just find it damn irritating to be told by anyone that to be a "libertarian", I have to be a pot-smoking Red. I don't care what he identifies as.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Jun 2010, 14:52

Eric the .5b wrote:
Thoreau wrote:So I laid out the stances that I care strongly about, and concluded that there's plenty of libertarianism in there, and also plenty for the left to like.
Thoreau, you concluded more or less that you weren't either, at least reading this at face value:
So, add it all up and I’m somewhere between libertarian and lefty, I think. I’m sure that commenters from both of those factions will have fun disavowing me, while lecturing me on how evil I am for joining with the other side.
Yeah, I guess I didn't think that post through fully. I guess I have features of both sides, but I am the complete package of neither side. Take that as you will.

A lot of this is the product of trying to avoid tempest with the commentariat. dhex says that I care too much what other people think, but I see it more as wanting a comment thread that doesn't devolve into "You are a heartless libertarian who only cares about civil liberties and wants poor people to starve!"
--Jake

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jun 2010, 15:20

Thoreau, Jim can't avoid those comments, and he's made a number of posts about how libertarians are dumb and misguided for not being lefties like him.

Lefties and Righties can generally only take criticism in the form, "The people representing our interests are cowardly and thus not Leftie/Rightie enough." - and even then, only part of the time. Any unacceptable criticism makes them assume the critic is an agent of The Enemy.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jun 2010, 15:29

More to the point, Thoreau, if the UO commentariat is dragging you down, maybe a break from dealing with them would be worthwhile.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jun 2010, 15:30

Also, #6, absolutely subscribed to your feed, too.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jun 2010, 15:54

thoreau wrote: A lot of this is the product of trying to avoid tempest with the commentariat. dhex says that I care too much what other people think, but I see it more as wanting a comment thread that doesn't devolve into "You are a heartless libertarian who only cares about civil liberties and wants poor people to starve!"
To which the appropriate response (for me, anyway) is, "That's not true. I also care about economic liberties. Furthermore I'm only indifferent to whether poor people starve."

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Jun 2010, 16:18

dhex says that I care too much what other people think, but I see it more as wanting a comment thread that doesn't devolve into "You are a heartless libertarian who only cares about civil liberties and wants poor people to starve!"
which unfortunately ain't really gonna happen. no matter what, some folks will think you're a shitty person because your ideas on state power and their ideas don't match up.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 01 Jun 2010, 16:19

dhex wrote:
dhex says that I care too much what other people think, but I see it more as wanting a comment thread that doesn't devolve into "You are a heartless libertarian who only cares about civil liberties and wants poor people to starve!"
which unfortunately ain't really gonna happen. no matter what, some folks will think you're a shitty person because your ideas on state power and their ideas don't match up.
What's really infuriating is that they don't get that they are the shitty ones.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 01 Jun 2010, 18:44

dhex wrote:
I think the important point is that such commentary is ad hominen. So what if someone's a heartless blah blah blah? You want to show how he's wrong, address what he's saying about what you say he's wrong about. Regarding those who can't accept the fallacy of ad hominen, I concur with Eric and dhex that telling them that you're only partly or impurely libertarian will not likely do much to subtract fodder from their ad hominen attack diet (where's an editor when I need one???).
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jun 2010, 19:32

fyodor wrote:
dhex wrote:
I think the important point is that such commentary is ad hominen. So what if someone's a heartless blah blah blah? You want to show how he's wrong, address what he's saying about what you say he's wrong about. Regarding those who can't accept the fallacy of ad hominen, I concur with Eric and dhex that telling them that you're only partly or impurely libertarian will not likely do much to subtract fodder from their ad hominen attack diet (where's an editor when I need one???).
Groucho, on not being allowed to use a restricted country club's pool: "My daughter is only half Jewish, can she go in to her waist?"

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Jun 2010, 22:56

I think the important point is that such commentary is ad hominen.
that's a long-ass latinized way of saying "internet".

but on the other hand there are a few people who i think are shitty because of their views on state power, like congress and the senate and the president and that guy who runs patterico.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh