Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Post by the innominate one » 10 Jul 2015, 10:30

Your problem appears to be that you've been turned into a frog. My prescription is a kiss from a princess.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jul 2015, 03:35

Jadagul wrote:Finally got around to writing that post about the difference between science and engineering, and why you shouldn't replace a solid tradition with two studies.
It blipped onto the Hacker News front page: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9875731
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Jul 2015, 03:39

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jadagul wrote:Finally got around to writing that post about the difference between science and engineering, and why you shouldn't replace a solid tradition with two studies.
It blipped onto the Hacker News front page: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9875731
The fuck? That's kind of cool, but how the hell did that happen?

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Jul 2015, 05:57

Ha! Just came here to post that.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Jul 2015, 06:20

Part of me feels like I should answer questions in the comments, but I feel like that's a rabbit hole I don't want to jump down. Probably.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jul 2015, 12:51

Jump in or incur unspecified demerits.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jul 2015, 12:53

Jadagul wrote:Part of me feels like I should answer questions in the comments, but I feel like that's a rabbit hole I don't want to jump down. Probably.
Who you kidding? The hole wasn't made that you don't want to jump down.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jul 2015, 13:44

HN folks aren't as bad as H&R posters.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 Aug 2015, 16:58

CITIZEN TRUMP (The blog version, 90% same as the Gryll version.)

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Jun 2017, 12:22

So I decided to actually produce something instead of just linking things all the time:

http://www.metafederalism.com/2017/06/g ... es-of.html
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jun 2017, 12:44

Taktix® wrote:So I decided to actually produce something instead of just linking things all the time:

Your acceptance of the Two Party System as immutable truth makes the whole piece misguided.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Jun 2017, 13:09

Warren wrote:
Taktix® wrote:So I decided to actually produce something instead of just linking things all the time:

Your acceptance of the Two Party System as immutable truth makes the whole piece misguided.
This is targeted toward conservatives, so I had to dumb it down a bit...

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jun 2017, 14:07

Taktix® wrote:
Warren wrote:

Okay, but I still have some femurs to shatter.
I implore you to seize this moment and at least consider your Republican goals, and the peril that this pee-stained used car salesman has put those goals in.
And I get it: now that Trump has seized power, it seems like you're getting everything you've dreaming about for the last eight or more years.
His taint will be so widespread that everything you've held your nose and done with him will be wiped away and replaced with the diametric opposite of every one of your stated goals.
The Trump Train isn't concerned with "Repulican goals" or "Conservative goals", it's mostly about frustration with the institutions of power and a desire to bring those institutions down. If Trump destroys the GOP that will serve that goal. If you're saying that Trump will be so horrible that the America pendulum will swing back to Party Leadership doling out political power, and accepting the MSM as the ultimate dissemination of truth, you're kidding yourself.
Trust me when I say this, but whether it's next week or next year, the American people will rise up and rip this monster from office.
:lol: Ha ha ha ha There's almost no chance that's going to happen.
You are delusional. I'll put money on it. How much you want to bet Donald Trump is the Republican candidate for POTUS in 2020? If he dies in office, the bet's off, but if he's on the ballot, you lose.
After what we've seen over the last few months, nearly all of us will gladly go back to that pre-2016 level of awful.
What have you seen? Jeff Sessions is about the only really awful thing Trump has done (and he might undo it!) and even he has yet to exceed the pre-2016 levels of awful set by the likes of Ashcroft and Holder. It's still early, but so far DJT's buffoonery and incompetence have made him the best POTUS of my lifetime and certainly he's miles ahead of the last two guys.
It's absolutely a Republican ideal to stand up for one's country in the face of a hostile foreign power.
What the fuck are you talking about? What hostile foreign power is Trump failing to stand up against? Russia? Don't make me laugh (again). And do you really think whoever will be better?
Because the GOP will be left in complete ruin if you let (or worse, help) Trump "serve" his full term.
Like I said that's a feature not a bug. And what's with the scare quotes?
Last edited by Warren on 09 Jun 2017, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Jun 2017, 14:48

Warren wrote:
Taktix® wrote:
Warren wrote:

Okay, but I still have some femurs to shatter.
I implore you to seize this moment and at least consider your Republican goals, and the peril that this pee-stained used car salesman has put those goals in.
And I get it: now that Trump has seized power, it seems like you're getting everything you've dreaming about for the last eight or more years.
His taint will be so widespread that everything you've held your nose and done with him will be wiped away and replaced with the diametric opposite of every one of your stated goals.
The Trump Train isn't concerned with "Repulican goals" or "Conservative goals", it's mostly about frustration with the institutions of power and a desire to bring those institutions down. If Trump destroys the GOP that will serve that goal. If you're saying that Trump will be so horrible that the America pendulum will swing back to Party Leadership doling out political power, and accepting the MSM as the ultimate dissemination of truth, you're kidding yourself.
I don't agree at all. The Trump Train wears that Tea Party mask of "bringing down institutions of power" but are just consolidating power (like the bill to make it a federal crime to assault a police officer) and using federal power to both shield himself from illegality and enrich his private coffers. He's not tearing down federal power, he's thoroughly abusing it. As much as I don't like the GOP, the U.S. needs oppositional parties and destroying the GOP will leave nothing but the Democrats as a single, ruling party, which is also awful.

Also, political leaders dole out political power, and have since the beginning of time, and nothing Trump is doing right now is "breaking that down". If anything he's consolidating that process from a ruling class handing out power to a ruling family handing out power, which is also very bad.

And the MSM started becoming obsolete the second the internet went live, and whether Trump stays or goes has no significant effect on that fact...
Trust me when I say this, but whether it's next week or next year, the American people will rise up and rip this monster from office.
:lol: Ha ha ha ha There's almost no chance that's going to happen.
You are delusional. I'll put money on it. How much you want to bet Donald Trump is the Republican candidate for POTUS in 2020? If he dies in office, the bet's off, but if he's on the ballot, you lose.
You must be in the alt-right news bubble if you don't think this is a real possibility with everything going on right now. And I have far more riding on this than a bet with your fake money, like say, my childrens' future livelihoods. But go ahead and call people delusional, because that is the most compelling of arguments...
After what we've seen over the last few months, nearly all of us will gladly go back to that pre-2016 level of awful.
What have you seen? Jeff Sessions is about the only really awful thing Trump has done (and he might undo it!) and even he has yet to exceed the pre-2016 levels of awful set by the likes of Ashcroft and Holder. It's still early, but so far DJT's buffoonery and incompetence have made him the best POTUS of my lifetime and certainly he's miles ahead of the last two guys.
I don't even know where to begin Warren. Is this another one of your attempts at humor?
It's absolutely a Republican ideal to stand up for one's country in the face of a hostile foreign power.
What the fuck are you talking about? What hostile foreign power is Trump failing to stand up against? Russia? Don't make me laugh (again). And do you really think whoever will be better?
Yes, Russia, though I fail to see what's so funny. And I am referring to the GOP standing up to Trump + Russia. And yes, I think that literally any person who has a reasonable chance of replacing him would be better.
Because the GOP will be left in complete ruin if you let (or worse, help) Trump "serve" his full term.
Like I said that's a feature not a bug.
You're making the Rush Limbaugh error of conflating winning an election with utterly destroying political parties. As much as we disagree with the two main parties, we need one to check the other*, or we end up with a single ruling party or an outright dictatorship.

I mean, sure, I dislike a lot of the American system, but that doesn't mean I want to simply dispose of the whole thing and replace it with an autocracy...

*ETA: Please note this is not an endorsement of the two-party system. Three or even four viable parties to keep each other in check would be even better. I'm just saying 2 is the minimum...
Last edited by Taktix® on 09 Jun 2017, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jun 2017, 14:51

I Uh.
Forget I said anything.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jun 2017, 15:11

Warren - to be clear - do you see trump and trumpism as neutral or a positive? What explicitly is the thing you think is happening that's good? Because this is in no way opening the door for anything other than more awfulness in response.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jun 2017, 15:28

JasonL wrote:Warren - to be clear - do you see trump and trumpism as neutral or a positive? What explicitly is the thing you think is happening that's good? Because this is in no way opening the door for anything other than more awfulness in response.
Open what door that wasn't open already?
Trump has not made anything worse that I can see. The dog and pony show going on now is a great alternative to congress actually passing stuff.
To be sure I don't see anything good coming of the Trump years. BUT (and it's a big butt) I'm grading on a curve. And compared to any actual politician, I'm happier with Trump in the oval office. Everyone else, without exception, would be escalating our decent into doooom. (Especially that most horrible of cronyists HRC).

I'll back up a little on my assessment. The Carter years look much better in hindsight than they did at the time and I wouldn't mind another Jimmy. And the four or five years after the so called Gingrich Revolution of the Clinton administration was probably the most competent and actually beneficial to health and well being of the nation of any president since before I was born.

But for the most part, all three branches of government have been getting it wrong for a very long time. Trump is getting it wrong too, and hideously wrong even by Washington standards, but he hasn't been able to actually do anything terrible. At least not yet.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2017, 15:00

The most concerning this from this administration is the revelation of how many of the limits on the presidency are due to historical precedent rather than anything written down. A smarter future administration will take this lesson combined with the fact that their own party will not care and actually do something with it in the future. The last time this happened in a big way was when FDR went for a 4th term and it took a constitutional amendment to reign that in. Unless Trump gets impeached/imprisoned over his corruption, there's nothing to stop anyone from repeating it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2017, 15:05

Mo wrote:The most concerning this from this administration is the revelation of how many of the limits on the presidency are due to historical precedent rather than anything written down. A smarter future administration will take this lesson combined with the fact that their own party will not care and actually do something with it in the future. The last time this happened in a big way was when FDR went for a 4th term and it took a constitutional amendment to reign that in. Unless Trump gets impeached/imprisoned over his corruption, there's nothing to stop anyone from repeating it.
Has Trump expanded the imperial Presidency? Isn't he just walking the well trodden ground of his predecessors?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Jun 2017, 15:43

Many innovators are unable to profit from their inventions. Trump will probably get precious little done in governance before getting impeached over Russia. But he will get away with a lot on conflicts of interest, stuff that Cheney could only salivate over. Politicians who are willing to put American cronies (and cronies in approved allied countries) ahead of Russian cronies are taking notes. They will be terrifying.

My nightmare is Mark Zuckerberg watching Trump's cronyism and the social media storyline on House of Cards and thinking "America just needs a smarter billionaire president." Imagine the terms of the NSA-Facebook merger being revisited to favor Facebook only moreso.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jason

Post by Jason » 12 Jun 2017, 16:49

I don't!
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Jun 2017, 17:48

Jason wrote:
I don't!
Get a damn blog.