Our National Pastime

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16263
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Aresen » 31 Oct 2019, 01:00

Kolohe wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 00:34
Hey, how about them Nats?
Well, at least it was over before Halloween.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6775
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Andrew » 31 Oct 2019, 07:44

Kolohe wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 00:34
Hey, how about them Nats?
Good for them. I would've been fine with either team winning (since neither team was the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, or Dodgers), but it's always better to have someone who hasn't won recently (or ever).
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18354
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Hugh Akston » 31 Oct 2019, 11:24

Andrew wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 07:44
Kolohe wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 00:34
Hey, how about them Nats?
Good for them. I would've been fine with either team winning (since neither team was the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, or Dodgers), but it's always better to have someone who hasn't won recently (or ever).
I'm down with that.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24937
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Mo » 31 Oct 2019, 12:31

Andrew wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 07:44
Kolohe wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 00:34
Hey, how about them Nats?
Good for them. I would've been fine with either team winning (since neither team was the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, or Cubs Dodgers), but it's always better to have someone who hasn't won recently (or ever).
FTFY
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2019, 13:12

The hell? How many WS have the Cubs won in the past hundred years?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19158
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 31 Oct 2019, 13:56

Warren wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 13:12
The hell? How many WS have the Cubs won in the past hundred years?
One more than the Nationals until last night. But, yeah, the Cubs are one of the richest MLB teams, they just haven't had the same level of success.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6775
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Andrew » 31 Oct 2019, 14:39

Mo wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 12:31
Andrew wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 07:44
Kolohe wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 00:34
Hey, how about them Nats?
Good for them. I would've been fine with either team winning (since neither team was the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, or Cubs Dodgers), but it's always better to have someone who hasn't won recently (or ever).
FTFY
The Cubs have won once in the last 100 years. I'm not yet ready to put them on the offender list.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2019, 21:01

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 13:56
Warren wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 13:12
The hell? How many WS have the Cubs won in the past hundred years?
One more than the Nationals until last night. But, yeah, the Cubs are one of the richest MLB teams, they just haven't had the same level of success.
Well seeing as how the Nats are still in diapers, they can just go sit in the corner for the next six or seven decades and suck their thumb.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24937
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Mo » 01 Nov 2019, 05:13

Andrew wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 14:39
Mo wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 12:31
Andrew wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 07:44
Kolohe wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 00:34
Hey, how about them Nats?
Good for them. I would've been fine with either team winning (since neither team was the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, or Cubs Dodgers), but it's always better to have someone who hasn't won recently (or ever).
FTFY
The Cubs have won once in the last 100 years. I'm not yet ready to put them on the offender list.
Yes, but Cubs fans are the worst fans after Red Sox, Yankees and Philly fans. Dodgers haven't won won in the last 30 years.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Warren » 01 Nov 2019, 09:07

Mo wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 05:13
Yes, but Cubs fans are the worst fans after Red Sox, Yankees and Philly fans.
??? They so aren't.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18354
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Nov 2019, 10:01

Warren wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 09:07
Mo wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 05:13
Yes, but Cubs fans are the worst fans after Red Sox, Yankees and Philly fans.
??? They so aren't.
No they really are. They show up drunk, loud, and obnoxious, then get a few more beers in them during the course of the game. It's one thing to be an drunken abusive asshole when it's the home team—that's just Chicago culture—but it's another thing to try and shout down local fans when the Cubs are the away team.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24937
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Mo » 01 Nov 2019, 13:00

And they don’t even have the Chicago excuse. White Sox fans are way better.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19158
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Nov 2019, 13:56

My completely ex rectum sense has always been that the White Sox are the prole team in Chicago and that the Cubs appealed to the intelligentsia, romantics, lovers of lost causes, etc. Of course, George F. Will aside, that can't possibly be the whole story. Whatever the behavior of the "average" Cubs fan may be, the team must sure sell lots of merch, given their record, to have become as well endowed as they are.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Warren » 01 Nov 2019, 14:56

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 13:56
My completely ex rectum sense has always been that the White Sox are the prole team in Chicago and that the Cubs appealed to the intelligentsia, romantics, lovers of lost causes, etc. Of course, George F. Will aside, that can't possibly be the whole story. Whatever the behavior of the "average" Cubs fan may be, the team must sure sell lots of merch, given their record, to have become as well endowed as they are.
That was certainly the case when I grew up. But perhaps things have changed in the intervening 45 years?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24937
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Our National Pastime

Post by Mo » 01 Nov 2019, 17:09

The Sox fans are more working class, but more egalitarian. Cubs fans nowadays are the frattiest dudes in town. Also, re: George Will


his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24937
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Mo » 13 Nov 2019, 19:14

Dodgers 2017 World Series Champs, change my mind.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Warren » 13 Nov 2019, 21:22

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 8.21.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 8.21.15 PM.png (245.26 KiB) Viewed 200 times
If Google don't know, nobody does.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13368
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Highway » 13 Nov 2019, 22:15

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27710
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Warren » 13 Nov 2019, 22:44

So? Winners cheat. That's how they get to be winners. The Dodgers cheated too, else how'd they get to the World Series? The Astros cheated better, that's why they're champions.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests