Our National Pastime

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jason

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by Jason » 30 Oct 2017, 17:00

Andrew wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 11:33
I checked the game last night and saw LA was up 3-0 in the second and Kershaw was going to be pitching. I was certainly surprised this morning.
At least you didn't wake up to the game still being played!
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Oct 2017, 23:44

I have a flight scheduled during game 7 tomorrow. I may have to "miss my flight" and watch in St. Louis.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2018, 08:44

The Federalist actually had a good take.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/09/10/go- ... -baseball/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Sep 2018, 09:35

That's a phenomenon I think we've seen in multiple sports: the pros have just outgrown the field of play. I think the same applies to basketball, and it happened a long time ago in men's tennis. NFL might be getting there too. The players are too big, too fast, and too strong, and the lack of available space, and a field that challenges the players, crowds out different play styles.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2018, 09:50

Highway wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 09:35
That's a phenomenon I think we've seen in multiple sports: the pros have just outgrown the field of play. I think the same applies to basketball, and it happened a long time ago in men's tennis. NFL might be getting there too. The players are too big, too fast, and too strong, and the lack of available space, and a field that challenges the players, crowds out different play styles.
I agree. I think a 20% increase in playing field dimensions would do a lot of good in most sports. Unsure if needed as much in the NFL.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Sep 2018, 16:46

Would they add any footage to the diamond itself? go from 90' to 100' or anything? I did glaze over and skip to the end toward the end.

Do hockey and basketball need bigger courts/rinks, irrespectively*?

*I'm just going to use this in place of respectively because I got the respective order wrong and this seemed like a better solution than just switching to rinks/courts so they were actually respective.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Sep 2018, 17:18

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 16:46
Would they add any footage to the diamond itself? go from 90' to 100' or anything? I did glaze over and skip to the end toward the end.

Do hockey and basketball need bigger courts/rinks, irrespectively*?

*I'm just going to use this in place of respectively because I got the respective order wrong and this seemed like a better solution than just switching to rinks/courts so they were actually respective.
I think that guy's idea was just make the outfield bigger, which it could be, significantly, without even changing the rules. As the article points out, most ballparks use as close to the minimum field dimensions as they can, and probably not just for "our guys will hit more homers" reasons. If you're putting a baseball stadium on a property, you want to cram as much revenue as you can in it, and the field's not generating revenue out there, the seats are. I'd want to see the whole thing get bigger. 105 feet from base to base. Pitcher's mound is 75 feet.

I would say yes, hockey and basketball, at the pro level, need bigger rinks and courts, and the rim in basketball needs to be higher. And it's a scale up: The 3pt line moves farther out. The FT line moves farther out. The lane gets bigger. Tennis courts get bigger.

This does bring up the question of "is this only a pro thing?" Do casual players play on old courts? Do women pro leagues play on old courts? Do kids play on old courts? Is it age based progression? Or is it just when you get to the "big stage", now you're on the bigger court.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2018, 17:33

It’s almost assuredly for the more home runs reason. With all the non-revenue generating decorative crap that sits around in a modern ballpark, it’s clear that it’s a way to game the system. Also, NL teams, which is a more pitching focused league, tends to have more foul territory than AL teams. Foul territory favors pitchers over hitters.

JD

Post by JD » 12 Sep 2018, 10:44

Mo wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 09:50
I agree. I think a 20% increase in playing field dimensions would do a lot of good in most sports. Unsure if needed as much in the NFL.
Except soccer, where they should probably shrink the field 20%.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Sep 2018, 10:53

JD wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:44
Mo wrote:
Increasing everything by 20% would leave more open space and therefore provide more scoring opportunities as defenses can't clog as much of the field.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Sep 2018, 11:10

Mo wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:53
JD wrote:
Mo wrote:
Increasing everything by 20% would leave more open space and therefore provide more scoring opportunities as defenses can't clog as much of the field.
Indoor soccer, smaller teams, smaller field, ball doesn't roll out of bounds --> Entertaining, action filled, athletic competition.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Sep 2018, 11:24

Indoor soccer is also not a top tier sport, attracting elite athletes. Put the best soccer players in there, and it would get to the same all-or-nothing, power kind of play that we see from the top tier leagues.

I don't really think that soccer is quite to that kind of point, especially because they for the most part relatively recently increased the pitch size to play on international size pitches. But we have seen where better athletes can throw the ball in from the sideline for an aerial set play in recent years, and if trends like that increase, that's an argument for increasing the field size.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Sep 2018, 12:03

Also, indoor soccer has half as many players. So spacing issues are different.

But yeah, comparing indoor soccer to EPL or La Liga is like comparing Arena League to the NFL.

Jake

Post by Jake » 15 Sep 2018, 05:48

Mo wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:53
JD wrote:
Mo wrote:
The field should be about 16 square miles in area. Then a big part of the game could be the process of finding the ball, then dribbling it cross-country to the goal before anyone else discovers where you are and that you have the ball.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO