Our National Pastime

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Our National Pastime

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Oct 2010, 00:42

I'm not really that much of a baseball fan. Well, hell, I grew up in the Washington, DC suburbs where the old Senators stank so badly they were eventually moved to Minnesota and the second Senators stank so badly they moved to Texas and there was no team until a few years ago when the Expos stank so badly they got moved to Washington where, for the most part, they have continued to stink. Badly.

But, man, did I enjoy watching the Rangers tattoo the Yankees! I mean they just beat them in every friggin' way imaginable!

So this will be the first time in my entire life that my hometown team is in the World Series -- no, the Baltimore Orioles definitely did not count! -- and, damn, this is fun!

J sub D

Re: Our National Pastime

Post by J sub D » 23 Oct 2010, 10:10

D.A. Ridgely wrote:I'm not really that much of a baseball fan. Well, hell, I grew up in the Washington, DC suburbs where the old Senators stank so badly they were eventually moved to Minnesota and the second Senators stank so badly they moved to Texas and there was no team until a few years ago when the Expos stank so badly they got moved to Washington where, for the most part, they have continued to stink. Badly.

But, man, did I enjoy watching the Rangers tattoo the Yankees! I mean they just beat them in every friggin' way imaginable!

So this will be the first time in my entire life that my hometown team is in the World Series -- no, the Baltimore Orioles definitely did not count! -- and, damn, this is fun!
For all the standard libertarian reasons I should hate every corporate welfare teat sucking major league baseball team. But I love my Tigers (won 2 out of 3 in World Series appearances in my lifetime) and especially love any team that kicks them some Yankee ass. Thank you and congratulations, Texas Rangers.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 23 Oct 2010, 10:15

passersby were amazed by the tremendous quantities of fecal matter
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 30 Dec 2011, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 23 Oct 2010, 10:33

Norbert Wronkletoad wrote:that's great! congrats!

now get ready to hear "lowest TV ratings of any world series" garbage from the same folks who created the conditions that enable the "low ratings".

have fun with it!

Jsub - that 35-5 start was really something back then. mein gott. they trounced everybody. loved that old stadium, too
The old stadium was one butt ugly structure from the exterior. But from inside it was the best baseball watching venue I've ever visited. Sitting close to the field? The rightfiel upper decy hung over fair territory, turning catchable long flies into home runs. '68 was the best series ever. Mickey Loclich, 3 starts, 3 complete games, 3 wins (outdueling Bob Gibson in game 7 on two days rest) and hitting his onlt major league home run.
incidentally, they filmed a scene in the hbo series, "hung" in the old stadium, i guess. Detroit doesn't look all that bad. it's one big meadow with cracked concrete, broken glass, and a shitload of ragweed. but it's a meadow nonetheless. the first green city
Those meadows are slowly but surely turning into forests. Vegetation is relentless. You can see it eating abandoned houses. Wildflowers are everywhere. We have a breeding family of beavers, foxes, pheasants, racoons, opussums, rabbits, falcons and other birds of prey all living in the city limits. The whitetails are advancing through the county parks system and should arrive in a year or two. If coyotes haven't taken up permanent residence yet (stealthy bastards they be) they will shortly. One thing made evident by the depopulation of Motown is that Mother Nature is just biding her time. As soon as we turn our backs she reclaims what is rightfully hers.

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Oct 2010, 00:47

I'm a Cubs fan. Therefore, I will not be taking part in this thread again. Ever. Farewell all.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Oct 2010, 02:11

Pham Nuwen wrote:I'm a Cubs fan. Therefore, I will not be taking part in this thread again. Ever. Farewell all.
I'm starting to notice a pattern here, Pham. I mean, I can understand the paintball as playing out your aggressions athletically. The a priori terrible angel apocalypse movie you can dismiss as merely youthful experimentation. But a Cubs fan? You clearly have some serious self-harm issues that need to be addressed. If not for yourself, then for grylliade. We care about you man.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Oct 2010, 16:42

I thought we already had a thread for football. No need for a second one.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 26 Oct 2010, 14:10

Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 30 Dec 2011, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Oct 2010, 17:40

Norbert Wronkletoad wrote:
Mo wrote:I thought we already had a thread for football. No need for a second one.

:)

do you remember the Peanuts where Linus and Charlie have that same discussion :)

Pham - ditto about the fandom. I get dad to tell me about listening to (and keeping score for) the 45 series.

and I met Jack Brickhouse's widow recently.

just glad cincynasty didn't get any farther. was never a fan of dusty (was always suspicious). And STEVE BARTMAN IS INNOCENT! it's Alou's fault for letting that get in his head. and then dusty screwed up. And all those twaddlenocks who got so wrapped up in "Prior and Wood". ugh.

srsly. the "Superfans" sketch is the chicago sports media. Listen to 670 WSCR, and mein gott.

A: "I think the Skins will beat the Bears on Sun. dammit"
B: "why do you hate the bears"

that probably happens in other media markets, but this is the #3 market and it isn't diluted between two different New Jersey based teams :)
That's actually pretty cool, Norbert. I was born over in Winfield actually. I was named after Ryne Sandberg but my dad hated the spelling so I ended up with Ryan. 84' was a good year.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 31 Oct 2010, 22:56

While I enjoy watching someone other than the (damn) Yankees in the World Series, I kind of wish it included, you know, the rest of the world. Beisbol is huge in latin america as well as japan.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Nov 2010, 02:15

pistoffnick wrote:While I enjoy watching someone other than the (damn) Yankees in the World Series, I kind of wish it included, you know, the rest of the world. Beisbol is huge in latin america as well as japan.
Yeah we know. That's where the Yankees get all their best players.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Nov 2010, 13:55

Hugh Akston wrote:
pistoffnick wrote:While I enjoy watching someone other than the (damn) Yankees in the World Series, I kind of wish it included, you know, the rest of the world. Beisbol is huge in latin america as well as japan.
Yeah we know. That's where the Yankees get all their best players.
Maybe he hadn't heard about Robinson, Clemente or Matsui?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 Nov 2010, 15:04

You're in favor of MassiveImmigration into the states? How do you feel about MassiveSubsidies? /lonewhacko

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 01 Nov 2010, 17:53

Please allow me to paraphrase Bill Bryson and say: Baseball was invented to make all other forms of human endeavor seem interesting.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Nov 2010, 17:56

Pham Nuwen wrote:
You're in favor of MassiveImmigration into the states? How do you feel about MassiveSubsidies? /lonewhacko
Well, Beisbol Jefes do love their MassiveSubsidies
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Nov 2010, 20:41

Solitudinarian wrote:Please allow me to paraphrase Bill Bryson and say: Baseball was invented to make all other forms of human endeavor seem interesting.
Bill Bryson?
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Nov 2010, 22:56

I'm strictly opposed to the hegemon in baseball, so yay Giants!

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 02 Nov 2010, 06:39

Warren wrote:
Solitudinarian wrote:Please allow me to paraphrase Bill Bryson and say: Baseball was invented to make all other forms of human endeavor seem interesting.
Bill Bryson?
Ah, sí!
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 02 Nov 2010, 11:14

Red Barber wrote: Baseball is dull only to dull minds.
which is as true as any words ever penned.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Nov 2010, 11:38

Basketball is dance, football is an action movie, baseball is drama and soccer is a Swedish art film.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Nov 2010, 11:53

Or, baseball is Agricultural, football is Industrial, Basketball is Post-Industrial, and Hockey is Canadian.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Dec 2010, 19:53

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Dec 2010, 20:00

Huh, Baltimore still has a team.

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 09 Dec 2010, 23:37

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Basketball is dance, football is an action movie, baseball is drama and soccer is a Swedish art film.

I'm trying to figure out where that leaves Rugby Union and Australian Rules Football. :)

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Dec 2010, 23:58

Isaac Bartram wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Basketball is dance, football is an action movie, baseball is drama and soccer is a Swedish art film.

I'm trying to figure out where that leaves Rugby Union and Australian Rules Football. :)
Peep shows?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren