Another Food Show

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Another Food Show

Post by JD » 31 May 2017, 15:04

Cast iron doesn't lose its non-stick-ness (or if it does, it can be re-treated) and is perfectly safe. Just sayin'...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 May 2017, 15:22

JD wrote:Cast iron doesn't lose its non-stick-ness (or if it does, it can be re-treated) and is perfectly safe. Just sayin'...
I love my Lodge. Skillets and fry pans just have different functions.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 May 2017, 15:51

My egg pan is nonstick, eggs only, low temp only, no abrasion no metal utensils, and I get about 6-7 years out of them. I've been consistently underwhelmed with calphalon as a thing that costs as much as good things but is not good like actual good things.

I have become more enamored with All Clad including their nonstick. I think they make the best pans. Heat distribution, oven safe, quality of coating, non warping etc etc.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 31 May 2017, 16:50

I'm a huge fan of the $20 calphalon anodized aluminum nonstick I got. Agree that it's really only for eggs.

lunchstealer

Another Food Show

Post by lunchstealer » 31 May 2017, 20:28

Oh good. Mine didn't have the base plate. That would help, I expect.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 May 2017, 21:35

lunchstealer wrote:Oh good. Mine didn't have the base plate. That would help, I expect.
I've used it two days now and I'm luuuvin it. Burned honey marinade on it and it wiped out with a paper towel. Cooked crispy potatoes on high heat. They came out perfect.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 01 Jun 2017, 03:54

Some time ago, I bought a cheapish ($25 or so) electric skillet with the ceramic non-stick coating. I bought it while in Atlanta with the Air Force to be able to cook in my room. I fell in love with it, and went so far as to pack the thing up and carry it home. It does wonderful things for eggs and anything else that would normally stick.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jun 2017, 10:05

Number 6 wrote:Some time ago, I bought a cheapish ($25 or so) electric skillet with the ceramic non-stick coating. I bought it while in Atlanta with the Air Force to be able to cook in my room. I fell in love with it, and went so far as to pack the thing up and carry it home. It does wonderful things for eggs and anything else that would normally stick.
Ever make a pineapple upside down cake in it?
The electric skillet takes up cabinet space I can't afford. Being in a situation where you make it your primary cooking vessel (or even secondary to the uwave) you can lean to do marvelous things with it. Its advantage is controlled heat, that comes on quickly. You don't have to worry about over heating the nonstick, and big soft yellow curds eggs are easy as 123.
Last edited by Warren on 01 Jun 2017, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Jun 2017, 14:12

Got rid of my last non-stick pan like, 5 years ago. Nothing but hard-coated Calphalon, a s/s stockpot, and some enameled cast iron pots and Dutch ovens. It took me about two weeks to figure out how to cook with gas in the new house, and I hardly have anything stick anymore.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 02 Jun 2017, 11:15

Warren wrote:
Number 6 wrote:Some time ago, I bought a cheapish ($25 or so) electric skillet with the ceramic non-stick coating. I bought it while in Atlanta with the Air Force to be able to cook in my room. I fell in love with it, and went so far as to pack the thing up and carry it home. It does wonderful things for eggs and anything else that would normally stick.
Ever make a pineapple upside down cake in it?
The electric skillet takes up cabinet space I can't afford. Being in a situation where you make it your primary cooking vessel (or even secondary to the uwave) you can lean to do marvelous things with it. Its advantage is controlled heat, that comes on quickly. You don't have to worry about over heating the nonstick, and big soft yellow curds eggs are easy as 123.
I'm a low-carb kind of guy, but that's an intriguing suggestion. I do find that I reach for the electric skillet when a pan would do. It's just easier to use for certain things.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jun 2017, 12:22

Number 6 wrote:I'm a low-carb kind of guy, but that's an intriguing suggestion.
That's how they sold it to my mother. In the days before infomercials, housewives use to get invited to parties where some guy was ABCing some product. This was Tupperware's business model e.g. She bought one, baked the upside down cake in it and never used it again.