Another Food Show

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Another Food Show

Post by Warren » 20 Oct 2010, 08:36

Since becoming unemployed and moving in with my GF, I've been making dinner six nights a week. It's great because I've got the time and the energy. I've really been stepping up my game.
I thought I'd start my own threadblog on the way to becoming the Next Food Network Star

Last Night:
Salmon &
Asparagus
With Dill Hollandaise sauce
Wild and Brown Rice a la KC

Salmon was individually packaged frozen fillets. Just thaw, salt, pepper, slice of lemon and a minute and a half in the microwave.

Asparagus: cut off woody ends. Saute in iron skillet - olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest. Roll occasionally. Cook until just charred.

Hollandaise. This was my third time with hollandaise and it's super easy. I've learned to go easy on the lemon. I was able to use up the butter saved from surf and turf night. I use the double boiler method, whisking in a bowl atop a simmering pot. I scale down the recipe to one yolk and half a stick of butter - just right for two. I added dill weed. The sauce got really tight on me, I was able to loosen it by adding water. It started to break on me but I was able to whisk it back together (more about later).

I love wild rice, I buy Royal Blend and stretch it with additional brown rice. The microwave is the way to go with rice. Your Walmart has a five dollar plastic steamer that works perfect. A while back we took a long weekend and drove up to Kansas City. One afternoon we ate in the Power and Light District at Gordon Biersch Brewery and Restaurant (****). With my fish came rice that was seasoned with course ground sea salt and sesame oil. I bought a can of sesame oil as soon as we got back. I love the aroma, and just about always season my rice that way now.

This was my first real success at plating. We have plain white square plates. I put the asparagus spears diagonally on the plate and a little mound of rice in one corner. The fillet set neatly to one side and three teaspoons of hollandaise in a dipping area.

The fish was slightly over cooked. This made it dry. I compensated by using more sauce, and ran out before I finished my fish. There was a little left over still on the stove. I went to get it, but it had completely broken, and I couldn't whisk it back together. Still, it tasted fine.

I paired the meal with Kendal Jackson Chardonnay
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Number 6

Re: Another Food Show

Post by Number 6 » 20 Oct 2010, 08:46

I once had the honor of supping at Warren's, and can attest that the man knows how to cook.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2010, 00:58

So we're leaving on vacation on Fri and I need to empty out as much of the refrigerator as possible. So I'm cleaning out vegetables.

Appetizer:
Blanched asparagus wrapped in prosciutto
I first had this at a fund raising event for the local actors theater. I've done it before. The key is timing the boil. Four minutes simmer, then into the ice water.

Main Course:
No Starch Stir Fry
Baby Carrots
2 green Serrano chili peppers.
Red onion
Orange bell pepper
Shrimp
Celery
Water Chestnuts
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Bamboo Shoots
Snow Peas
Mushrooms

Soy Sauce and "Stir Fry" sauce (Kikkoman)

All ingredients chopped and added in order. Everything came out cooked proper (shrimp slightly over done). However, Mary said it was too hot and her mouth was "on fire". I didn't think it was anywhere near that hot. Also she has a delicate digestive system and all those vegetables didn't sit well on it.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 21 Oct 2010, 10:31

Proscuitto also goes really well with cantalope.

I should have had asparagus from my garden this year, but my father in law decided to be helpful and weedwhack. Hopefully it produces next year.

I also find shrimp hard to overcook. Especially the pre-cooked frozen ones.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 21 Oct 2010, 15:06

Sounds good.

Question 1: How do you do the wrapping? Just roll the prosciutto around the asparagus?

And B: At what point do you do the wrapping? Before or after the blanching? I'm assuming before.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2010, 15:22

Isaac Bartram wrote:
Sounds good.

Question 1: How do you do the wrapping? Just roll the prosciutto around the asparagus?

And B: At what point do you do the wrapping? Before or after the blanching? I'm assuming before.
1: Yes, just peel a strip of prosciutto and wrap it around the stalk, in a helical fashion.
B: EEEK No no no no no. You wrap it after it's blanched and chilled. You wouldn't want to boil the prosciutto.

ETA
Most of the recipes I see for "asparagus and prosciutto" roast them together. However, I really do think crisp bright blanched asparagus works best.

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 21 Oct 2010, 17:48

Aarrrgggghhh!!! I meant to type "after", damnit. I was thinking wrap it before and the prosciutto gets all soggy, which you wouldn't want but I did want to confirm that. And then I typed before, instead of after.

My original comment will remain uncorrected and it will stand as a reminder that in spite of all evidence, it is not always Warren's fault.

Thanks, Warren. Going to have to try Blanched asparagus wrapped in prosciutto sometime. As soon as I find a supplier of prosciutto.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Oct 2010, 23:56

Issac,
Prosciutto can be obtained at your local mega-mart. Inquire at the deli.

Yesterday I tried baking. Had a recipe for "pear cake", we had a couple of pairs that I needed to get rid of and that seemed ideal. Disaster. The cake baked up with a hard dry crusty layer on top and gooey not fully cooked undernieth. I blame Mary's "air cake pan". Mary blames me.

Dinner worked better. My first Meatloaf.
Basic recipe. I didn't chop the onions fine enough and put in too many. At least they were easy to pick out. Topped with ketchup and mustard mixture, it needed thinning, so I added a shot of tequila. What? There was no bourbon in the house. Of course everybody knows not to bake meatloaf in a loaf pan like mom did. Just from a "loaf" on a baking sheet where the grease can run off.

I'm off for the next full week as we are vacationing in Pennsylvania. I wanted Mary to see real autumn. We're a little late for the leaves, but that doesn't bother me half as much as the fact that it's going to be cloudy the whole week :x :( :cry:

PicassoIII

Post by PicassoIII » 22 Oct 2010, 23:59

Warren wrote:Issac,
Prosciutto can be obtained at your local mega-mart. Inquire at the deli.
Yup, available in the very cosmopolitan sub of chi-town ....... Niles.
At freaking Target.
*shrugs*

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Oct 2010, 16:50

Warren wrote:I'm off for the next full week as we are vacationing in Pennsylvania. I wanted Mary to see real autumn. We're a little late for the leaves, but that doesn't bother me half as much as the fact that it's going to be cloudy the whole week :x :( :cry:
Yeah, a real autumn this late in October is probably only to be had in the North Carolina mountains.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2010, 13:43

Back from vacation (The leaves were wonderful, only one day with full sun, but it was glorious).
Made hot wings as appetizer. Used sauce from a bottle. Used Alton Brown's technique of steaming before baking to get skin crisp without smoking. No discernible smoke, but fire alarm went off when I opened the oven.
Mary and I have very different ideas about what makes good wings. She wants the sauce "cooked on" and prefers "boneless wings". :?: :roll:
Grilled chicken salad for main course.
Mixed greens out of bag
red bell pepper
carrot
tomato
baby bella mushrooms
julianned kohlrabi (secret ingredient)
boiled egg
Dill Havarti cheese
sliced grilled chicken breast
Shredded Parmesan cheese

Salt and EVOO on chicken breast. Tried to get grill mark with rack in oven. No marks, but chicken came out fine.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 02 Nov 2010, 14:09

Warren wrote:julianned kohlrabi (secret ingredient)
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecraw ... 155bj9.jpg

You tarted up a 47 year old vegetable with leopard print panties????? :o

ETA: I'm pretty sure you meant "julienned". Sorry for being a dick.
Last edited by pistoffnick on 03 Nov 2010, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Nov 2010, 08:19

Last night, Beef Stew.
Had browned stew meat and broth from last time I made stew.
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Potatoes
Herbs and spices
Cup of water
Half cup of wine
All day in the crock pot

Oven rolls on side.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Nov 2010, 14:13

Warren wrote:Oven rolls on side.
Trim the oven! Trim the oven! Get all the pots over to the windward side!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jake

Post by Jake » 03 Nov 2010, 14:14

JD wrote:
Warren wrote:Oven rolls on side.
Trim the oven! Trim the oven! Get all the pots over to the windward side!
I LOLed.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Nov 2010, 20:21

Tonight was a series of minor catastrophes and one great triumph.
For appetizer I planned Olive Spread on toast and Steamed Artichoke.
The olive spread is green olives, black olives, a little olive oil and a good dose of Parmesan cheese. Hit it with the Cuisinart.
There was a small amount left over from the last time we made. Or what I thought was left over. In fact it was left over. It just wasn't the olive spread, is was just crushed black olives that were left over from when we made it. I put it in a custard cup and put that in the middle of a small dish and surrounded it with Toasted Thomas Bagel Thins cut into sixths (perfect!). Upon tasting my mistake Mary suggested adding a little pesto we have in the fridge, that worked excellent.
Now I've done artichokes I don't know how many times, and I've perfected my technique. Slice longitudinally in half. Use paring knife to cut out choke, rinse in sink. Then put in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for a full five minutes. Serve with melted butter. One more thing, give it a good rinse and allow water to collect under the leaves before cooking. I guess I didn't give it enough water, because it came out dry and crispy. The meat was tough and chewy, even the heart. Oh well, I've got another half I can try again.

Main course
Steamed vegetables, broccoli cauliflower and carrots. Season liberally with Mrs. Dash add ounce or two of water and microwave in covered dish.
I should have gave em a pinch of salt, and they needed another two minutes in the microwave

Roasted Cornish Game Hens with rice stuffing
Cook rice (wild rice blend)
Dice up mushrooms and saute till they shrink.
Blend with rice.

Liberally apply Old Bay outside and in to birds. Lightly stuff with rice mixture.
Dose outside of bird with rosemary and dot with butter.
Cook at 425 for thirty minutes, then add large dollop of orange marmalade to bird, be sure to coat legs too. Continue cooking fifteen more minutes. Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil and let stand ten minutes.

The rice needed more moisture and seasoning. Oh and I totally forgot the oven rolls. DOH!

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Nov 2010, 10:27

Yesterday was a DISASTER. I totally RUINED the Mac and Cheese. How can you so compeletly fuck up mac n cheese you ask. Well in about three different ways most egregiously adding an ounce of hot sauce instead of a "dash".

On the plus side, I got my artichoke back, but nothing else came out very well.
Left over vegetables.
Tilapia with crispy potato
Three Bean Salad.
Rolls

Blech, tonight we go out to eat.

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Nov 2010, 12:53

that sounds pretty tasty. but i've made mac and cheese with fresh habaneros.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Nov 2010, 13:01

dhex wrote:that sounds pretty tasty. but i've made mac and cheese with fresh habaneros.
You know, I think you would have liked it. I made it with my recently acquired Pennsylvania Dutch - Genuine Amish, Goat Cheddar, and Extra Extra Extra Sharp Cheddar. It kind of smelled like a goat after the hot sauce went in.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Nov 2010, 13:03

I love mac and cheese with hot sauce. It's like it was invented as a capsaicin vehicle.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Nov 2010, 17:18

Dinner has been contentious. Mary's taste differs from mine in ways greater than I appreciated. It's been aggravating having dishes I'm particularly proud of declared "flavorless". Last night however was a bit of a comeback.

Starters was the avocado & pepper jack cheese quesadilla ("There's too much avocado, I can't taste the cheese" "You're wrong, they are in perfect balance")

The main course was a bit of a cheat as I used pre-cooked lemon-herb chicken breasts. But I dressed them up with a little sauteed red pepper, onion, and spinach. On the side, my wild rice mix with mushrooms and a bit of spinach.

The big success was the Napa cabbage salad. I added kohlrabi and quartered grape tomatoes as well as almond slivers and toasted Ramen noodles. I love using the toaster-oven to do small backing/broiling jobs. Especially as we're experiencing a bit of a heat wave this week. In a few weeks I'm going to want to do more oven baking.

I put the salad together raw and tasted it, and realized that the cabbage needed to be at least wilted, so I through the whole thing in the skillet and cooked it down. It came out great. The big success was the dressing.
1/3 cup rice whine vinegar
1 cup sesame oil (smells so good)
good squirt of Dijon mustard
tsp sugar

whisk over low heat in sauce pan.

Tonight I'll repeat the salad and serve with meatloaf leftovers.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Nov 2010, 17:56

A cup of sesame oil? Where do you get yours? All I ever see is teeny-tiny bottles that cost $6. The recipe does sound good.

I sympathize with cooking for someone with differing tastes. David will only eat four or five dishes in the world and strongly dislikes trying new things. And that's just how he is and that's fine. But it means I really miss cooking for others. And our place is so small I don't know if I could ever pull off a dinner party. We don't even have a table. Maybe the tiniest dinner party ever.

Oh, now I really want to go for it anyway.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Nov 2010, 20:34

if yer gonna buy sesame oil, do it online and in large quantities. or just buy small batches to make chili oil.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Nov 2010, 21:35

Ellie wrote:A cup of sesame oil? Where do you get yours? All I ever see is teeny-tiny bottles that cost $6. The recipe does sound good.

I sympathize with cooking for someone with differing tastes. David will only eat four or five dishes in the world and strongly dislikes trying new things. And that's just how he is and that's fine. But it means I really miss cooking for others. And our place is so small I don't know if I could ever pull off a dinner party. We don't even have a table. Maybe the tiniest dinner party ever.

Oh, now I really want to go for it anyway.
Huh, I had no problem finding it in pint cans at the chainmart here in Goat Rope. I don't know what I paid for it. I bought it when I was employed and after coming back from KC, I HAD to have it. Sesame oil is just heavenly, far better than EVOO for low temp applications.

EDIT
I needed a bit more dressing for the salad tonight and I was reminded that I forgot the soy sauce. One tbs soy sauce to the above recipe.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Nov 2010, 23:58

Well tonight was kind of special, and kind of not.

After Pennsylvania, we decided to try crab cakes at home. I bought a tin of Lump Crab at the Hy-Vee last weekend. It was just a little tuna can size but this recipe calls for a pound of crab. But it only calls for one egg. Well I'm not going to try and split an egg. So I ended up with four crackers and everything else to the recipe except the mayo. I mixed it all up, and added just a tsp of mayo and then decided it needed a little more, but that's it.
They came out excellent! Mary made them even better by digging out spicy ranch dressing to dip them in. Oh and I'm now religious about broiling crab cakes. I no longer think crab cakes are blasphemous... unless they're fried. You fry crab, you burn in hell.

For the main course I went with Alton's stuffed flounder. I liked that it called for the left over rice I needed to get out of the fridge. Plus I've still got four pounds of cheese we brought back from PA. The spinach stuffing was a bit involved, plus I made it with fresh spinach, but it came out great. I made half a batch but put in a full dose of wine. The cheese sauce didn't thicken like I expected it to.
Now, I loved the fish. It was cooked perfectly and the rice and spinach were excellent. And the sauce, runny but very cheesy.
OTOH Mary took one bite of the rice and said "you went overboard on the wine again" (there was past dispute over a stew). She claimed that she could only taste wine and no cheese, where I clearly tasted cheese, and just picked up the wine in the background. To my palate it was perfect, but she found the wine overwhelming.

This saddens me on two accounts. One, I want her to enjoy the food I prepare for her. And B, I have sneered with contempt at Emril Lagasse for "if you keep adding wine and garlic no one will notice that you can't cook - BAM!", and now I have been justly accused of going heavy on the wine.